Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying GPS: Smartphone vs. (garmin) GPS

Hi!

i'm considering on buying a GPS module for recording my routes. I'm contemplating on getting a smartphone (E71) since (replacing my old call and text phone), well, it's already a phone packed with all other features. Getting a smartphone would be cheaper since I won't be needing a separate gadget to do tracking.

Is it sufficient for me to get just smartphone GPS instead of a dedicated GPS hardware?
    What will be my frustrations with the smartphones? Like, do I always need GSM signal in order for the phone to get target; is A-GPS really slow?

If a smartphone will be sufficient, would you recommend a better handset compared to the E71?

If I finally opted for a dedicated GPS hardware, which model will I get considering:
    * I want it hand held
    * I can save ample amount of data(or expandable storage)
    * Fast lock-on!
    * Bang for the bucks!

Finally, where can I buy a GPS hardware here in Manila?
    Thanks in advace!

Originally posted by oliever View Post
    Is it sufficient for me to get just smartphone GPS instead of a dedicated GPS hardware?
    no. you will be needin garmin mobilext as well. about 100 us

What will be my frustrations with the smartphones? Like, do I always need GSM signal in order for the phone to get target; is A-GPS really slow?
    small screen, some have slow processors, low volume, battery issues, ...
    no gsm signal needed. agps never mind, only needed for initial lock on

If a smartphone will be sufficient, would you recommend a better handset compared to the E71
    bigger the screen the better the unit for navigating.
    ( i have a e71 myself, it works, but isnt that great)

If I finally opted for a dedicated GPS hardware, which model will I get considering:
    * I want it hand held
    * Fast lock-on!
    * Bang for the bucks!
    bluetooth gps tracker. search one of the threads regarding this. pokz uses one and it's great!. this paired to a big screen pda is a great alternative to a dedicated gps unit.

but accordig your explanation, you would appreciate a garmin 60csx.

Finally, where can I buy a GPS hardware here in Manila?
    Thanks in advace!
    geotech mercantile. cubao near farmers market.
    they are a bit more expensive than others but are the only one that are recognised by garmin and thus are also capable of handling any warranty issues if so needed.

asides from that : DO NOT BUY IT IN THE PHILIPPINES. you'll end up with a refurbished unit from sellers who wont give you warranty or whatever and will charge you double than what you can get the unit for in the states.
    try amazon.com / gpsdiscount.com and others.

hope this helps.
    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

^Thanks Jan for that very detailed info. I will try first to canvass some bluetooth gps tracker. For the phone, I might as well get the E71. hehe.

TY

Comment

^Thanks Jan for that very detailed info. I will try first to canvass some bluetooth gps tracker. For the phone, I might as well get the E71. hehe.

TY
        the bluetooth gps tracker only serves as medium to the pda! it is useless without a screen as it where (sides from tracking)

Comment

* I want it hand held
          * Fast lock-on!
          * Bang for the bucks!
          If you're serious about recording your routes and the places you go to or would like to go to, get a dedicated GPS handheld. It's far more accurate than a smartphone, locks fast to the sats and holds a lock better, and can record tracks more accurately. Almost all the Garmin XT/Nuvi features like search for POI's, addresses and etc. is there on the handheld. It can also do autorouting, meaning you can go from point A to B and the handheld will give visual and audio beeps turn-by-turn directions to navigate you every step of the way. It will do a fast recalculation if you deviate from the given route. Plus you can use it not only in the car but also on the bike, while hiking, boating, and many other outdoor activities. And it'll take the abuse because it's built for it. I highly recommend the 60CSx too, if you want a bang-for-the-buck handheld. .

And as per Jan's advice don't get it here, if you can. I got mine in the US through a friend, way much cheaper than those sold here...

Btw, i also have an E71...

Comment

Thanks for your replies. The reason I was seeking for a GPS tracker is because I wanted to develop a pet project - a web application free for the community. I got interested in geo tagging and maps when I started to contribute for google mapmaker(I think I got addicted for some time. hehe). Searching for more info about gps data in the Philippines, I only found waypoint.ph that is rich in data. Until just today when I found out about road guide. A few weeks ago, I was contemplating about this project. I was thinking of a user based application where in members can upload and download different forms of data using google maps as the API(need to learn this stuff) in a very organized way complete with tags so that all keywords are visible on the web.

This idea came about when I was looking for commuting routes. I only found http://ph-commute.blogspot.com/ - which is rich in data but not exactly very useful. I imagine what if these data have coordinates!

Ultimately(an ambitiously), i wanted to develop something similar to http://gis5.com/pois_along_route/gm_...long_route.php .While all the data are stored and organized, they will also be useful when converted to match other applications and other hardware.

I still have other ideas for the app but first things first. I need to gather data to support the potentials of the project.

Comment

I you guys have some inputs, please buzz me oliever_ph@yahoo.com

Comment

if those are your needs, a bluetooth gps with notebook are the things you want

Comment

If you want a gps smartphone. Use HTC tytn II, that's what I use before with mobile xt. Locks on fast and pretty accurate. The only downside is while navigating and someone calls you sometimes it hangs but not too often.

After I sold my phone, and use my treo 650 again Im thinking of buying a bluetooth receiver, but to think of it a good (not that i know of) bluetooth gps receiver costs you 2k up plus buying the mobile xt software will cost you, so i just bought myself a garmin 255.

I got mine in canada from a seller that sold his prize for only 150 CAD.

Comment

I got into this navigation stuff when I bought my Samsung i780. For a time, I was in a "pwede na 'to" attitude. But later on, I got into a point in which I find it difficult to switch between applications (ie. a call or txt message comes in). And since the phone is attached to the windshield via a suction cup+goose neck contraption, it gets cumbersome at best, and dangerous at worst to operate it. I solved part of the problem by pairing a Bluetooth headset.

Later on, as the wow factor wears off, you'll find flaw upon flaw (ie. the i780 sometimes would take ages to acquire a satellite lock, or the screen is too small, or the refresh rates too slow, etc.)

So that's why I'm using a Nuvi now.
                    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
                      or the refresh rates too slow, etc.)
                      and sorry for the temp hijack.

refresh rate too slow: what map did you use at the time? standard or contributors? contributors should be ok afaik?

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        and sorry for the temp hijack.

refresh rate too slow: what map did you use at the time? standard or contributors? contributors should be ok afaik?
                        Used it extensively with the free version before. Come to think of it, I haven't started field testing the i780 with the contributor's version of the map (though, it's already installed). The reason being, the wow factor on my Nuvi hasn't worn off yet.
                        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
                          Used it extensively with the free version before. Come to think of it, I haven't started field testing the i780 with the contributor's version of the map (though, it's already installed). The reason being, the wow factor on my Nuvi hasn't worn off yet.
                          try it with the contributors map, refresh is (well should be) a lot faster

Comment

I'm now looking into some Garmin nĂ¼vi. Jan is right, I saw some items in sulit.ph and the price is more than double than those on amazon!

I'm hoping it's cheaper in HK or SG. Thanks everyone for the inputs!

Comment

hk cheapest of the two but still more expensive than US.
                              by the way, a garmin nuvi is not what you are looking for.
                              If you want to go ahead with your project you'll need something much more advanced than a nuvi. laptop with bluetooth gps, 276c, 60csx, 76csx, but defo not a nuvi. too limited for what you want to do with the unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X