Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5800XM Garmin GPS

Hi guys,

Im new into GPS device. I read from another forum that my nokia 5800 is capable of doing GPS. I have installed the garmin to my mobile phone. Once, i started the application then i go to the "View Map" it says on the top of my screen "Searching for Satellites" What are the things that i need to do to get locked on the satellite?

Im too noob into this. Please help.

Your GPS should have a clear view of the sky, the less obstructions, the better.

Go to the main screen and click on the signal bars on the upper left of the screen. You'll be in another window. You then click on the center button at the bottom of the screen. That will show you signal strength of each satellite. You need at least 3-4 satellites for it to compute your location and for the GPS to function. The more satellites it can receive and the stronger the signal, the more accurate it becomes.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Only been playing with garmin xt on my 5800 for a few days. For the initial lock (no map showing on view map yet.) try activating assisted gps first. After getting a lock on you may already disable the agps. Subsequent lock ons seem to be faster. You can use that method again when in a new location. Do note that agps gets charged by your phone service provider.

Comment

^^
        do all that, and I would like to add, avoid moving (yet) until you get a satellite lock, satellite locks happens faster when you are still.

Comment

Errors on Puerto Princesa POI and map.

Hi, im been using GMXT 5.00.50 on Nokia 5800 and found erroneous entries on the Puerto Princesa Map. I'd like to contribute corrections and add additional POI's and waypoints. I just cant seem to follow the instructions on being a contributor... medyo mahina na sa english comprehension.

Comment

Originally posted by tekno View Post
            I just cant seem to follow the instructions on being a contributor... medyo mahina na sa english comprehension.
            Afraid we can't help you then thru this forum... suggest you wait around for another EB and attend that EB. For sure, somebody helpfull will be able to show you how to do it hands-on, in a language you'll understand better, so you'll learn how to be a contributor...

Comment

Img-Files

I have read somewhere that it’s possible to have 4pc of maps (img-files) in GMXT. But I can just handle 2pc in my Nokia 5800XM. I have name the img files like: gmapsupp.img, gmapsup2.img, gmapsup3.img, gmapsup4.img.
              Does anyone have any ideas? TNX!

Comment

Originally posted by Pappsegull View Post
                I have read somewhere that it’s possible to have 4pc of maps (img-files) in GMXT. But I can just handle 2pc in my Nokia 5800XM. I have name the img files like: gmapsupp.img, gmapsup2.img, gmapsup3.img, gmapsup4.img.
                Does anyone have any ideas? TNX!
                I haven't tried having multiple gmapsupp files but i've combined different maps in mapsource to generate one img file. Then in xt, you have the option to check/uncheck the maps you need to use...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                  I haven't tried having multiple gmapsupp files but i've combined different maps in mapsource to generate one img file. Then in xt, you have the option to check/uncheck the maps you need to use...
                  TNX Borgie! I have notice that option in XT. I don’t have the option to open or save as img in mapsource. XT do read the files gmapsupp.img, gmapsup2.img in my Nokia 5800XM but not gmapsup3.img, gmapsup4.img. So guess I have to rename the files when I travelling then.

Comment

Garmin Image map files!

Originally posted by Pappsegull View Post
                    TNX Borgie! I have notice that option in XT. I don’t have the option to open or save as img in mapsource. XT do read the files gmapsupp.img, gmapsup2.img in my Nokia 5800XM but not gmapsup3.img, gmapsup4.img. So guess I have to rename the files when I travelling then.
                    When sending map sets to your device using Mapsource, the map set will be generated in "gmapsupp.img" in your device!
                    FYI, see this earlier post: Garmin Image map files!
                    "Three names are available so as to be recognized by Garmin: gmapprom.img, gmapsupp.img or gmapsup2.img.
                    Gmapbmap.img is the world base map. So three different named maps can be used at the same time."

: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthrea...=2163#post2163
                    Last edited by jonatle; 09-27-2009, 10:15.
                    Questions? Check Out The: "HOW TO"

Comment

Originally posted by jonatle View Post
                      When sending map sets to your device using Mapsource, the map set will be generated in "gmapsupp.img" in your device!
                      FYI, see this earlier post: Garmin Image map files!
                      "Three names are available so as to be recognized by Garmin: gmapprom.img, gmapsupp.img or gmapsup2.img.
                      Gmapbmap.img is the world base map. So three different named maps can be used at the same time."

: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthrea...=2163#post2163
                      OK, Thanks Jonatle

Comment

I find the 5800 is too weak for locking into satellite.
                        using the trip meter function along edsa,
                        I lost satellite locking many times.

And it eats up a lot of power.
                        Even using the GeoTagging feature on outdoor.
                        only 1/3 of the outdoor pics, were saved with geo tagging.

If there are tweaks for this, please post it. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nhoyti View Post
                          Hi guys,

Im new into GPS device. I read from another forum that my nokia 5800 is capable of doing GPS. I have installed the garmin to my mobile phone. Once, i started the application then i go to the "View Map" it says on the top of my screen "Searching for Satellites" What are the things that i need to do to get locked on the satellite?

Im too noob into this. Please help.

Which GMXT did you install on your phone? Also new in this stuff. My unit is arriving this 18th of Dec (Nuvi 205W)

Unit Software

* Garmin Mobile XT for Palm , Ver. 5.00.10p,
                          * Garmin Mobile XT for Palm (for older devices), Ver. 4.10.30p,
                          * Garmin Mobile XT for Symbian S60 2nd Edition, Ver. 4.20.00,
                          * Garmin Mobile XT for Symbian S60 3rd Edition, Ver. 5.00.50,
                          * Garmin Mobile XT for Symbian UIQ3.0, Ver. 5.00.20,
                          * Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile, Ver. 5.00.20w,
                          * Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile (for older devices), Ver. 4.10.40w

Additional Software

* Garmin Mobile XT Free Basemap, Ver. 4.xx.xx
                          * Garmin Mobile XT Support Files, Ver. 4.xx.xx,

Comment

hi guys.

new to gps...using my 5800. do i need to install Garmin XT on my phone. to be able to upload the philippine map found here?

Comment

Originally posted by urbanhopper View Post
                              hi guys.

new to gps...using my 5800. do i need to install Garmin XT on my phone. to be able to upload the philippine map found here?
                              yes!
                              welcome to roadguide.
                              FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Working...
                              X