Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

renew & virus spam???

Hi,

I've been gone a long time. Lost 2 gps's (died). Now finally running Garmin XT on a Omnia II. Anyway, hopefully i can get active!

I live close to Naga, by Mt Isarog.

I hope to log the dirt roads I travel. I hope to contribute those to the map. (First have to see if this is something I am capable of doing, lol.)

Anyway on signing back in, I noticed a lot of virus msgs in my msg inbox. None of which I could reply to. All of which had a virus checker link - they suggested I use. And to top it all off. They were all for periods of time and dates I was not signed in. They were all from supposed admins.

Are the admins/mods aware of this? I did a quick search and did not find anything highlighting this. I am uptodate with AVG and it reports no viruses.

Anyway good to be back, Rojen

Originally posted by rojen View Post
    Hi,

I've been gone a long time. Lost 2 gps's (died). Now finally running Garmin XT on a Omnia II. Anyway, hopefully i can get active!

I live close to Naga, by Mt Isarog.

I hope to log the dirt roads I travel. I hope to contribute those to the map. (First have to see if this is something I am capable of doing, lol.)

Anyway on signing back in, I noticed a lot of virus msgs in my msg inbox. None of which I could reply to. All of which had a virus checker link - they suggested I use. And to top it all off. They were all for periods of time and dates I was not signed in. They were all from supposed admins.

Are the admins/mods aware of this? I did a quick search and did not find anything highlighting this. I am uptodate with AVG and it reports no viruses.

Anyway good to be back, Rojen
    Welcome to Roadguide Rojen. First of, can you please pm us the usernames of the senders of these msgs'? There's been reports of these happening and we have banned a few spammer members already.

Anyways, we're glad to have you on board. Hope you can contribute those Naga tracks, it'll result to a more comprehensive road map for Naga. And you can also proudly say that you contributed said tracks. Hope to see your contributions soon and don't forget to go over the "How to's"...
    Last edited by Borgie; 02-01-2010, 15:35.

Comment

Hi Rojen.
      Welcome back.
      Im from Naga City too but lived here in Manila since '93.
      I usually go back there on Holy Week and Christmas.
      Hope to meet you someday.
      As for Naga tracks, theres a lot more missing incl. nearby towns like Canaman, Camaligan, etc. Hope you could include that in your contribs.
      Aim also to get the contributors map...Naga tracks are very much updated.
      Check out demo map 1.09 and you will see what Im saying for Naga.
      Cheers!
      FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

I noticed a lot of virus msgs in my msg inbox. None of which I could reply to. All of which had a virus checker link - they suggested I use. And to top it all off. They were all for periods of time and dates I was not signed in. They were all from supposed admins.
        Got my fair share of virus-related private messages from supposed admins as well. Now my inbox is 90% full. Didn't bother clicking on the virus checker link. I'm a Mac user btw...have never had virus issues ever since I started using the MBPro.

Comment

thanks +

Thanks for the kind words. I've been pouring over the faq's and howto's for the last couple of days. My kudo's to the contributors of those docs, specially the ones that point to all the others in progression. Great work!

Working on my first tracks and waypt/poi submission editing now.

I am a disabled Kano enjoying the hospitality of a great nation, so I do not know how much I can contribute. But I figure every bit helps and the areas I frequent are not as likely to be well covered.

I looked at the demo map as recommended and saw just how well Naga was covered, impressive! However, my wife and I do community development work in the Bukid, so I figure most of the areas we hit will not be so well covered, giving us something to contribute too.

Question on road definitions. I read some of the road definitions related threads. I do not have a four wheel drive, but the roads I travel are dirt and pretty rough, especially after the sugar cane trucks have been through. They really go places tho, not just farm tracks. So I was not going to classify it as 4 wheel drive since I am able to navigate them with a non-4wheeler, but some people looking at it might not agree. I want to do the right thing. If it is a fairly rough dirt road do you want it classified as 4 wheel or as a regular unpaved "able to be driven by sedan?" Some of these roads are also a lot closer to 4 wheel only after a rain storm. I rarely get stuck, but get close to it a lot.

Great to be onboard, Rojen

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I've been pouring over the faq's and howto's for the last couple of days. My kudo's to the contributors of those docs, specially the ones that point to all the others in progression. Great work!

Working on my first tracks and waypt/poi submission editing now.

I am a disabled Kano enjoying the hospitality of a great nation, so I do not know how much I can contribute. But I figure every bit helps and the areas I frequent are not as likely to be well covered.

I looked at the demo map as recommended and saw just how well Naga was covered, impressive! However, my wife and I do community development work in the Bukid, so I figure most of the areas we hit will not be so well covered, giving us something to contribute too.

Question on road definitions. I read some of the road definitions related threads. I do not have a four wheel drive, but the roads I travel are dirt and pretty rough, especially after the sugar cane trucks have been through. They really go places tho, not just farm tracks. So I was not going to classify it as 4 wheel drive since I am able to navigate them with a non-4wheeler, but some people looking at it might not agree. I want to do the right thing. If it is a fairly rough dirt road do you want it classified as 4 wheel or as a regular unpaved "able to be driven by sedan?" Some of these roads are also a lot closer to 4 wheel only after a rain storm. I rarely get stuck, but get close to it a lot.

Great to be onboard, Rojen
            Unpaved road will suffice. Welcome to roadguide sir.

Comment

which part to upload to?

Sorry Sir(s)/Ma'am(s) to be such a pest, lol. But, I did a short track of a road not on the demo map. Edited it. Same with waypts and found a few errors in my neck of the woods.

Thought I was ready for upload; so I went to the upload section. Saw that the uploads are for different parts, part 1, 2, 3... All of them were posted to today. I did not find a guideline on which part to post to. Are they for different areas or zones of the Philippines. Bicol is zone 5, do I post my updates to part 5? Pls explain.

I found a road labeled Carolina - Caromatig Rd. It is actually the Carolina - Sibao Rd. (I live in Caromatig - not even in the right direction.) Do I post this correction in the track corrections, or Waypoint corrections thread? I am not submitting a track, just correcting the name of a road. Caromatig and Sibao are both sitio's of a specific barangay. Are they suitable for waypt submission, more of a village, than town or small city even. In my area I noticed the barangay's are not given waypoints should I update those too? I can GPS the location of the Barangay Hall for ref.

Thanks for the guidance on the unpaved rd sir!

Rojen
              Last edited by rojen; 02-03-2010, 14:23.

Comment

Sorry Sir(s)/Ma'am(s) to be such a pest, lol. But, I did a short track of a road not on the demo map. Edited it. Same with waypts and found a few errors in my neck of the woods.

Thought I was ready for upload; so I went to the upload section. Saw that the uploads are for different parts, part 1, 2, 3... All of them were posted to today. I did not find a guideline on which part to post to. Are they for different areas or zones of the Philippines. Bicol is zone 5, do I post my updates to part 5? Pls explain.

Rojen
                Please post uploads on the latest threads. For tracks , it's 1.10 part six, for waypoints 1.10 part 4, for waypoint corrections 1.10 part 2 & etc. Don't upload on the previous parts as the files uploaded there might have been processed already... TIA

Comment

I found a road labeled Carolina - Caromatig Rd. It is actually the Carolina - Sibao Rd. (I live in Caromatig - not even in the right direction.) Do I post this correction in the track corrections, or Waypoint corrections thread? I am not submitting a track, just correcting the name of a road. Caromatig and Sibao are both sitio's of a specific barangay. Are they suitable for waypt submission, more of a village, than town or small city even. In my area I noticed the barangay's are not given waypoints should I update those too? I can GPS the location of the Barangay Hall for ref.

Rojen
                  Hi Rojen.
                  For new waypoints - waypoint thread.
                  For correcting or deleting existing poi's - waypoint correction thread.
                  For new tracks - track thread
                  For track name correction, track correction, routing correction (one-way etc) - track and routing correction thread.

If you have some more questions, just post it.
                  FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Working...
                  X