Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from Pangasinan

Just got my Nuvi 255W from U.S. today.

Few days earlier, I registered here and read as much as I can to prepare my PC to upload the basic map 1.07. That turned out a success! Now I am able to use my Nuvi for our country.

Residing in San Carlos City, I notice the basic map is quite lacking for this part of the province. Naturally, I intend to contribute whatever roads or waypoints are existing at present. I know there is much to learn to achieve this. So a good tip how to start doing it would be appreciated.

What I have done so far is to drive around and uploaded my tracks in Mapsource. I am able to see the tracks now in Mapsource where one road is not on the basic map. First question is "how do i make the new road appear on the nuvi's map?"

Btw, I also have the demo 1.13 map on Mapsource.

Thanks guys! You really are a great help for doing this forum!

Originally posted by kinyo View Post

Few days earlier, I registered here and read as much as I can to prepare my PC to upload the basic map 1.07. That turned out a success! Now I am able to use my Nuvi for our country.

Residing in San Carlos City, I notice the basic map is quite lacking for this part of the province. Naturally, I intend to contribute whatever roads or waypoints are existing at present. I know there is much to learn to achieve this. So a good tip how to start doing it would be appreciated.

What I have done so far is to drive around and uploaded my tracks in Mapsource. I am able to see the tracks now in Mapsource where one road is not on the basic map. First question is "how do i make the new road appear on the nuvi's map?"

welcome to roadguide

with your nuvi 255 you can do this to trace track: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=384&page=2
    its called the easter egg aka 1 sec. track

what you see right now is the not so accurate (lower resolution) ordinary nuvi track.
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Hi Kinyo, Good for you.. Welcome to RoadGuide and enjoy your stay!
      On your question below, just submit your tacks on the appropriate thread and it will be compiled at a given time and it will be released on the next version of the map. Also be sure to compare your contributions against the demo map.. HTH..

Check out the FAQ and How To sections.. you will learn a lot and make your submissions at par with roadguide standards..

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. As somebody said, you don't sleep! Will do as guided.

Comment

Welcome to Roadguide Kinyo! Since your area is not yet well represented in the map, you have many options on what to contribute and i'm sure you'll be able to contribute a lot. Best thing is when you see your contributions incorporated into the Roadguide map ...

Comment

Thank you, sir Borgie. I do intend to contribute tracks and waypoints from my area. Still feeling my way around Mapsource, but in due time, I'm sure somebody in San Carlos will be surprised with his Nuvi when he finds the area fully covered.

Comment

Gurus,

I now have 28 gdb route files, each one giving the name of known streets in my area. Can I zip them into one file for upload, or upload each file?

The street names were taken from a map provided by the City Planning Office.

Thanks!

Comment

upload them in one gdb file will do

Gurus,

I now have 28 gdb route files, each one giving the name of known streets in my area. Can I zip them into one file for upload, or upload each file?

The street names were taken from a map provided by the City Planning Office.

Thanks!
                Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Yup, as per kuya hbt's suggestion please make 1 file only containing your routes. Much easier and faster for us to check as we get to open 1 file only instead of multiple files. And much easier for you to remember your uploaded contributions as well... TIA

Comment

Thanks sirs hbt and Borgie ... will do as instructed. In addition to named street routes, I will also include two tracks, being one short street to be added, and one street on the demo map (1.13) to be deleted, both in close proximity to my place in Mabini St. But my upload will come few days later because the files are in my desktop and ...

Today, I flew to Singapore with my 255W and was able to track the plane's route! It was an amazing experience! I installed the malsing maps before the flight to make sure Singapore' area would be covered. True enough, I watched how the plane behaved all the way until parked at the Changi Airport. It was fun knowing the speed, altitude, and direction of the plane, especially during take-off and landing.

The Nuvi helped me find the way to my hotel too after alighting from the subway. I was also able to confirm the battery can indeed last 4 hours as specified by Garmin.

Comment

Just fyi ... upload of street names in my area is done.

Found here ...
                      http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....61&postcount=7

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X