Hello - Another FNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello - Another FNG

Well I have lurked long enough, I have read and re-read and I think I am ready.

I have done a few GE paths/tracks of the roads that I am most familiar with around my house there in the Philippines. I have joined them into a single gpx file. Can someone please let me know if it looks right before I delete it from this post and post it in the upload tracks thread and send the Judge a PM? Last time I felt this nervous I was getting ready to take a six hour certification exam.

I am also prepping for my upcoming visit on May 18th, I will be there visiting family in Pangasinan for 7 weeks. Looks like I will have plenty of opportunities to contribute since many roads in the surrounding area and towns are not in the demo map.

I just need to confirm I am ready to do some real tracking with my Nuvi 780 because at first I couldn't figure out how to turn off Lock to Road or Stick to Road (for future searchers change from Automobile mode to Pedestrian mode - in System settings).

I have created my first 1 sec track using the easter egg, driving down a road that was not mapped up here in Alaska. I have converted it to gpx using wNutrak, opened it in g7towin and changed the name of the first line of track from “nuvi” to “Test BlaBla Road” then saved it. When I open it in mapsource (using an Alaska map of course) I can see the track being between two real roads on the map telling me that I am not stuck to the road and thus have a useful track. Screen shot attached.

At this point I believe I am done and ready to submit, but without being able to compare my track with what a known good track really looks like (looking at it in g7towin) I am unsure I am really ready. Can someone look at the attached test BlaBla Road.gpx and give me an idea if I am close or where I can improve. The actual doing of it almost seems too easy when compared with all of the reading I have done, which is why I am so unsure. I must be doing something wrong or not good enough.

PS… If you need me to bring something over from the states there is always room for electronics or other small things that might be hard to find over there (Costco, homedepot, walmart, no fryes but we have frigidnorth http://www.frigidnorth.com/store.html).

Thanks and I am looking forward to playing a small part in your project.

Rob
    Last edited by robryrhi; 05-01-2010, 08:06.

Hi Rob.
    Welcome to Roadguide.
    1. Test blabla - your 1sec track is good, you did it right. and remember that 1sec track is not affected by stick to road feature. even if its on, 1sec track will still record on actual location.
    2. Bugallon - if these are GE traced tracks, it should be 'tracks' not 'routes'. in mapsource, see that there are 4 tabs at the left side: maps, waypoints, routes, tracks. it should fall under tracks.
    recheck what you did. should be like this:
    1. trace in GE using path
    2. save as kml file
    3. convert it to gpx file using gpsbabel or other program in the web
    4. open gpx in mapsource, see if it become tracks.
    5. submit in new tracks thread.
    HTH. If any more prob, just ask away.
    FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Awesome, Thank you so much that makes total sense . I have found the error of my ways and made the appropriate correction.

I was using the tool at http://earthnc.com/ge2gps by default in options the output is set to Routes. Re-converted the existing GE traces to Tracks (just cut and paste in the online tool) re-joined them via mapsource.

It looks a lot better... I'll go ahead and post it to the track thread.

Wish me luck with the Judge

Maraming Salamat

Rob
      Last edited by robryrhi; 05-01-2010, 08:26.

Comment

Working...
      X