newbie from Pasig and Las Pinas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie from Pasig and Las Pinas

Hi Guys, just got my nuvi 1310 this afternoon and able to use it from my work to home without any problem.

I have some question.
    Since it was pre installed with Philippine map. how would I know if I am using the right map. I mean the map that you are using.
    And how can I get this thing updated. The SA told me that it must be updated from time to time.

I hope you dont mind answering my question. Im just a newbie.

thanks.

hi there, that depends what map was preloaded with the unit...
    there's somewhere somehow some info in your nuvi about that...

i think in settings / map / info or similar. i may (probably am) be far of the mark though...

welcome to the site and enjoy your new toy
    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

thanks for your prompt reply. I guess I have different software, anyway I'll try to back read for some info on how to or somehow I can attend some EB to get some actual instruction. Thanks again.

Comment

I had an OSM phil. map on my Nuvi 1310.

Mapsource was already installed in my computer along with training center, demo and basic map.
        Right now I have Roadguide.Ph in my GPS which is more detailed. big thanks to this site.

I have contributed some waypoints around NCR and planning to make some more in my province.

This is great, Ill just continue backreading to learn more.

Comment

Originally posted by underman View Post
          I had an OSM phil. map on my Nuvi 1310.

Mapsource was already installed in my computer along with training center, demo and basic map.
          Right now I have Roadguide.Ph in my GPS which is more detailed. big thanks to this site.

I have contributed some waypoints around NCR and planning to make some more in my province.

This is great, Ill just continue backreading to learn more.

you'll be more amaze when you get the contributors map. just keep sending those data contribution
          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Hi Guys, just got my nuvi 1310 this afternoon and able to use it from my work to home without any problem.

I have some question.
            Since it was pre installed with Philippine map. how would I know if I am using the right map. I mean the map that you are using.
            And how can I get this thing updated. The SA told me that it must be updated from time to time.

I hope you dont mind answering my question. Im just a newbie.

thanks.
            welcome to roadguide.
            FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

welcome to roadguide

Comment

Welcome Underman, try to search the forum on how to turn on 1sec logging for your unit. I have a 1350 model and the 1sec logging is accessed by the following this:

1. On map view mode, tap on the speedo meter (lower right hand of screen)
                2. This should show you the speedo page, there is a round speedometer on the screen. If you see that, Tap and Hold there until the screen changes to trouble shooting mode or something. Then look for Logging and tap on it, and then tap on start logging.

3. Everytime you turn on your GPS it will do 1sec track logging. You then have to learn how to download the logs to your PC and then use mapsource to convert and maybe combine the tracks... these are contributions as well.

Make sure you don't submit logs of exactly where you are, or else members might knock on your door asking for beer... seriously not good for security purposes.

Is my post too long? Then try this link
                http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....8&postcount=92

If you don't have time to learn how to download 1sec logs yet, then don't turn it on, try it out then turn it off, coz if you turn it on, you will end up with a lot of files/logs in your unit that you will get confused.

Let me know if you need help, I got a tutorial from HBT so still fresh in my mind, and probably can "talk" you through it. There also should be a How to thread about it as well.

TTFN
                Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                  Welcome Underman, try to search the forum on how to turn on 1sec logging for your unit. I have a 1350 model and the 1sec logging is accessed by the following this:

1. On map view mode, tap on the speedo meter (lower right hand of screen)
                  2. This should show you the speedo page, there is a round speedometer on the screen. If you see that, Tap and Hold there until the screen changes to trouble shooting mode or something. Then look for Logging and tap on it, and then tap on start logging.

3. Everytime you turn on your GPS it will do 1sec track logging. You then have to learn how to download the logs to your PC and then use mapsource to convert and maybe combine the tracks... these are contributions as well.

Make sure you don't submit logs of exactly where you are, or else members might knock on your door asking for beer... seriously not good for security purposes.

Is my post too long? Then try this link
                  http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....8&postcount=92

If you don't have time to learn how to download 1sec logs yet, then don't turn it on, try it out then turn it off, coz if you turn it on, you will end up with a lot of files/logs in your unit that you will get confused.

Let me know if you need help, I got a tutorial from HBT so still fresh in my mind, and probably can "talk" you through it. There also should be a How to thread about it as well.

TTFN
                  Arvin

Actually sir, I'm not sure about the purpose of 1 sec logging.

Is this the actual track of your vehicle at 1 sec interval?
                  If this is so, can we use this as our reference for mapping roads which are not yet included in RG.Ph.

Anyway, I check my 1310 and it is capable of 1 sec logging and I already turned it on.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Actually sir, I'm not sure about the purpose of 1 sec logging.

Is this the actual track of your vehicle at 1 sec interval?
                    If this is so, can we use this as our reference for mapping roads which are not yet included in RG.Ph.

Anyway, I check my 1310 and it is capable of 1 sec logging and I already turned it on.

Thanks for the help.
                    correct. and to calibrate existing roads in the map.

Comment

The short reply was already given by Pokz. With respect to Kuya Pokz, I guess by now you guys noticed that I like to type a lot. So here is the long version: (this is what you get when you guys teach me a lot, or just blame HBT)

1. 1sec logging creates and stores track position every 1 sec. which as you mentioned is more accurate, if you turn it off, the tracks stored is longer in between so it is not as accurate.

2. That is why I mentioned it to you, because 1sec tracks are part of contributions, which adds to your pogi points to the Judge steps to becoming a full fledge contributor and get the contributors map.

3. Driving around with 1sec tracking on is one contribution, as Pokz put it to calibrate existing roads. I'd rather not go into this too deeply but they use our tracks to confirm if the roads in our maps are correct or needs adjustment, the mods and compilers want more 1sec tracks from a particular road to be able to average the track and determine exactly where the road is. Makes for a more accurate placement of roads.

4. Of course yes as you said if you are going to contribute roads that are not yet in our map, the best ones to give are 1Sec. tracks, but as many also mentioned, if it is a new road, heck even regular tracks can be submitted, better a less accurate track, than not know there is a road. But still 1Sec tracks for new roads are more appreciated.

5. You can turn off 1sec tracking coz it does take up memory, but whenever you know there is a new road, etc. turn it on, like when I realized there are two roads in Tanauan that were not in the map, I just turned on 1sec logging and then I was able to send it as contribution for new road last night.

Let us make my post longer:
                      Now that you know how to use 1sec log, please try to learn, at your leasure how to download, and convert the 1sec logs to a usuable track for contribution. Yup, it needs a few steps again, but it's easy once you know it.

For starters please read:

http://www.roadguide.ph/forums/showp...6&postcount=15

http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1616

For the second link, it takes you to a different forum, you only need to read from 5. Converting your tracks for MapSource.

I realized that what HBT taught me probably might not be posted in Roadguide yet, at least no comprehensive guide. HBT I wonder if it's okay if I write a "how to guide" based on what you taught me?

TTFN
                      Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post

I realized that what HBT taught me probably might not be posted in Roadguide yet, at least no comprehensive guide. HBT I wonder if it's okay if I write a "how to guide" based on what you taught me?

TTFN
                        Arvin
                        hi kuya arvin,

you can see the tutorial here: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=384

good day and God Bless
                        Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                        - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Thanks HBT, the thread is very long, and had to sort though a lot of posts. For Underman's reference, this is the nearest to what you taught me HBT:

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....6&postcount=44

TTFN
                          Arvin

Comment

hehe. thanks for the help guys. Still lots of things to learn, lots of sacrifices, lack of sleep, lot's of trip's and lot's of question.

2. That is why I mentioned it to you, because 1sec tracks are part of contributions, which adds to your pogi points to the Judge steps to becoming a full fledge contributor and get the contributors map.

3. Driving around with 1sec tracking on is one contribution, as Pokz put it to calibrate existing roads. I'd rather not go into this too deeply but they use our tracks to confirm if the roads in our maps are correct or needs adjustment, the mods and compilers want more 1sec tracks from a particular road to be able to average the track and determine exactly where the road is. Makes for a more accurate placement of roads.
                            You mean everytime I drive around Manila and some places with my 1sec track on and send it to the Judge will make my contribution counted.

4. Of course yes as you said if you are going to contribute roads that are not yet in our map, the best ones to give are 1Sec. tracks, but as many also mentioned, if it is a new road, heck even regular tracks can be submitted, better a less accurate track, than not know there is a road. But still 1Sec tracks for new roads are more appreciated.

5. You can turn off 1sec tracking coz it does take up memory, but whenever you know there is a new road, etc. turn it on, like when I realized there are two roads in Tanauan that were not in the map, I just turned on 1sec logging and then I was able to send it as contribution for new road last night.
                            Does it necessary to name or edit the track or new roads before sending or Ill just send it directly as it is.

this is my track yesterday.
                            1. connected the GPS to my computer
                            2. click the received from device
                            3. uploaded and send to judge.

I just want to know if I've done the right thing because the nutrack application confuses me.
                            thank you very much for your unending support to newbies like me.

one more question, Am I getting out of the topic?
                            Attached Files

Comment

You mean everytime I drive around Manila and some places with my 1sec track on and send it to the Judge will make my contribution counted.
                              IMO, yes, as this are still contributions, specifically for alignment purposes.
                              Originally posted by underman
                              Does it necessary to name or edit the track or new roads before sending or Ill just send it directly as it is.
                              If you mean those automatic track naming being done by mapsource whenever you, say, cut or merge tracks, it is not necessary. AFAIK.

BUT if you do know the name of the street, then yes, please name the track as per the street name based on the Tracks Standard.

this is my track yesterday.
                              1. connected the GPS to my computer
                              2. click the received from device
                              3. uploaded and send to judge.
                              I just want to know if I've done the right thing because...
                              If you were planning on contributing these as for alignments, I don't think they would do because they are not one second tracks of an existing road. If your tracks were on non-existing roads though, these tracks would be ok.
                              the nutrack application confuses me.
                              tip: don't get intimidated with the interface. all nutrack does is ask you where your .bin files are and where you want your .gpx are to be saved.
                              tell me, what confuses you in nutrack? maybe we can do something about it.

thank you very much for your unending support to newbies like me.

one more question, Am I getting out of the topic?
                              You do know sometimes you have to stand on your own feet too right? Quite frankly, if you could back read through some old threads, use the search function of the forum, you might actually find out things on your own too. Specially if you end up in a rush to know the answer and everybody who might be able to help you out are out.

HTH
                              Last edited by B2Bomber; 09-05-2010, 17:45.
                              ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

Working...
                              X