Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from Marikina - Mac and BT GPS

Hi Folks, Mabuhay here, GreenApple and totally clueless

I am using a Macbook, an old yet unused BluTooth iPaq Navigation system from my iPaq pocket PC long time ago, and a newly acquired (yet old version) MacGPS Pro

I got the BT GPS to link with the macbook... got the MacGPS Pro to recognize the GPS... and I got live GPS reeading of Lat and long, speed , etc

I have the task now of figuring out if this setup is capable of having a graphical display using any of the Philippine Maps I can download. Any help in making this task easier will be greatly appreciated

From the MacGPS pro site, and with my little understanding of GPS system, I have learned thatMacGPS does not support vector map used by Garmin.
    It only supports raster maps (geo referenced maps). This would be like holding a paper map and your location or trip would be a dot or a line.

Is there a better mac compatible software that supports vector map or Garmin-type maps?
    Are there geo-tagged raster maps of Metro Manila and nearby provinces?

Originally posted by mabuhay View Post
    Hi Folks, Mabuhay here, GreenApple and totally clueless

I am using a Macbook, an old yet unused BluTooth iPaq Navigation system from my iPaq pocket PC long time ago, and a newly acquired (yet old version) MacGPS Pro

I got the BT GPS to link with the macbook... got the MacGPS Pro to recognize the GPS... and I got live GPS reeading of Lat and long, speed , etc

I have the task now of figuring out if this setup is capable of having a graphical display using any of the Philippine Maps I can download. Any help in making this task easier will be greatly appreciated

From the MacGPS pro site, and with my little understanding of GPS system, I have learned thatMacGPS does not support vector map used by Garmin.
    It only supports raster maps (geo referenced maps). This would be like holding a paper map and your location or trip would be a dot or a line.

Is there a better mac compatible software that supports vector map or Garmin-type maps?
    Are there geo-tagged raster maps of Metro Manila and nearby provinces?
    If you are using bootcamp,then download Nroute software in this site and I think it will solve your concerns, I have an Ipaq pc( old Windows mobile 5,0) before but it uses mapking for the Gps.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Comment

@jspalaroan
      thanks for the info
      no boot camp :-(

I will look deeper into what you suggested and consider installing boot camp

Comment

Originally posted by mabuhay View Post
        @jspalaroan
        thanks for the info
        no boot camp :-(

I will look deeper into what you suggested and consider installing boot camp
        Its free actually but you have to buy the Win OS, alternatively you can use other free VM softwares

Comment

welcome to roadguide sir

Comment

Thanks for the info. I use to have VMware fuzion and XP but I uninstalled it when I wasnt using it that often anymore

I did more research and my first success was with MacGPS Pro
            GPS receiver: Old iPaq navigation system
            over Blu Tooth to a Macbook
            I was able to receive real time Lat and longtitude and speed data as text

MacGPS pro only uses raster map file ( scanned 2d maps in any picture format then you have to mark at least two points on this map with lat and long data

Next, i found info about interfacing Blu tooth GPS receiver with google earth at
            http://ghw.spade-men.com/

I got this to work also although I had to uninstall the MacGPS Pro

UNLIKE the MacGPS Pro, the combination of 3 programs running can offer a moving Google earth map with a marker on the map following your movements

I tried driving around with this and my only trouble is that the view keeps on zooming out at to high a level for me to identify streets in detail
            It tracked my driving in detail and even recorded a U turn at a small street

This is promising as everything including terrain view shifts from overhead (90 degrees) to around 30 degrees to give you an experience like flying over the area at an altitude of maybe 50 feet from the street looking forward. but this was with my son zooming in on the map evru 5 seconds or else the map would zoom out to a very high altitude view

This was off-line BTW. I cached the area around where I would be travelling by viewing the area when I was online.
            Maybe next weekend I can drive around bonding with my son with a weroam as a mobile online connectivity

I'm just glad that after 10 years of having the iPaq GPS receiver, I finally can put it to use.

I'm still looking for a hiRes map of Manila so I can have an off-line option using the MacGPS Pro

thanks again
            Maybe I can post my experience in another forum area next time

Comment

@Sinned
              thanks for the warm welcome sir

Comment

welcome to roadguide.
                try getting a garmin unit so you can enjoy contributors map from roadguide. also you can check out papago app for iphone and ipad.
                FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

@Reiji0463
                  thanks for the warm welcome
                  I'm just making use of the old equipment that I have
                  I intend to get one soon. I have noticed the prices dropping already

Comment

Working...
                  X