Which GPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which GPS?

Hi to all, I am winger of Cebu City. I am interested in purchasing a handheld GPS unit either from Garmin or Magellan. I have checked out some of their models but what I really want for now (as a newbie) is just a basic unit that can allow me to enter data, shows speed, waypoints...the basics really. I am considering either the Garmin Etrex or the Magellan Explorist 210. Can someone help me decide which one (or other model) will be the better choice?The price range for my budget is only up to about PhP5T. I can purchase used ones on ebay or other online stores. I plan to take it along with me when my childhood friend invites me to go boating on his speedboat and we head for the surrounding islands/marine sanctuaries. From there I plan to enter the coordinates and slowly build up my maps of destinations around the beaches.

Originally posted by razirafi View Post
    Hi to all, I am winger of Cebu City. I am interested in purchasing a handheld GPS unit either from Garmin or Magellan. I have checked out some of their models but what I really want for now (as a newbie) is just a basic unit that can allow me to enter data, shows speed, waypoints...the basics really. I am considering either the Garmin Etrex or the Magellan Explorist 210. Can someone help me decide which one (or other model) will be the better choice?The price range for my budget is only up to about PhP5T. I can purchase used ones on ebay or other online stores. I plan to take it along with me when my childhood friend invites me to go boating on his speedboat and we head for the surrounding islands/marine sanctuaries. From there I plan to enter the coordinates and slowly build up my maps of destinations around the beaches.

hi winger,

First of all welcome to roadguide
    secondly, maps here are compatible to garmin devices and not magellan
    and third, heres a link that can get you started http://gpstracklog.com/compare/garmi...mparison-chart

HTH
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

go for oregon. you wont regret it. take it from a proud owner. everything you need can be found in oregon

Comment

Razi,

If your budget is only up to P5,000, then you can go with Etrex or a similar Magellan model. On the other hand if you like checking out Ebay and stuff, may I suggest you look into second hand GPS with Chart features. An example is that a half a decade ago or so, I bought a second hand Magellan MAP410 for P12,000 (which was cheap then, considering I also received the nautical chart CD). I say this because I am under the impression that your main purpose is for on water navigation? If you get a unit with Nautical charts, Blue charts for Garmin for example, you don't have to put too many waypoints anymore except personal ones, coz lighthouses and shoals will already be on the chart.

If you really want to just use a Basic model, any brand will do.

As HBT said though, the RG Map is only compatible with Garmin, and not all Garmin models to boot.

If your primary purpose is for on water use, as Docsam suggested Oregon is great as it is rugged and does accept the RG map.

Lastly, there are quite a few bargains to be had with older Garmin Nuvi units. If you are able to find, say a $50 to $70 bargain, go for it, and just buy a waterproof casing for it, either those soft aquapac or a hard type one.

Keep in mind RG map and mappers do not concentrate much on nautical waypoints or POIs, you will not get depth reading from RG map too, but some nautical POIs like lighthouses and island are present. Whatever is missing, you can contribute

Hope this helps!

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

@hbt,

Thank you for your warm greetings, the info on maps compatibility for Garmin, and the getting started link. I sure will read up on this.

@docsamcruz,

I have also seen the Oregon in their website. I will try to see if I can stretch my budget and go for the more advanced units. Thank you for your recommendation.

@arvin555,

My intended use of the handheld GPS is not strictly for water navigation. I like to go on land adventures too and make use of the skills that I learned when I was a boy scout (7 years in all, starting at Grade 3 as a Cub Scout ). I have seen some in the $30 range on ebay but I forgot the model. I will take my time to check on them.

Another question: Majority of the units that I have seen from Garmin's and Magellan's website are labelled North America, Europe, etc. Does this mean that those units cannot be used here in the Philippines as their maps are for those countries only? Some units also have internal memory and some have a provision for external memory cards. What is the recommended minimum memory size for GPS handhelds?

Comment

Originally posted by razirafi View Post
            Another question: Majority of the units that I have seen from Garmin's and Magellan's website are labelled North America, Europe, etc. Does this mean that those units cannot be used here in the Philippines as their maps are for those countries only? Some units also have internal memory and some have a provision for external memory cards. What is the recommended minimum memory size for GPS handhelds?
            1. Any gps unit can be use in the philippines as long as satellite signal is unobstructed.
            2. For basic use, you dont need external memory cards. Usually, units have 2gb internal memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Yup as Kuya Reijii said it is a very common misconception that GPS receivers are location or Country specific. It is not, all GPS receivers should be able to receive signal from GPS satellites no matter where you are. The reason why GPSr units mention North America or Europe is that they have pre loaded Road Maps for those regions or areas. I think it is safe to say that if you see that mentioned, that the unit is capable of Chartplotting or are map compatible.

One thing I forgot to mention is that with non Map GPSr, your navigation will be strictly "offroad" meaning from Waypoint to Waypoint will be a straight line, no problem for Boat use or Airplane, but will be slightly difficult if you use it on road. Thus now that you mentioned you want to use it on road, better get a unit that is Map ready.

That said, if you decide to get a Map ready unit, then strongly suggest to buy a Garmin model, so that you can use the free maps available in the country like our RG freemap, and then eventually get contributor's status and get the contributor's map. I have used my Nuvi 1350 which is not waterproof on water by just putting it in a waterproof housing, as I mentioned before.

TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

Working...
              X