Garmin Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin Newbie

Wife just gave me a Garmin Nuvi 1300 for my birthday, I've been tripping on it for two days now. So far the map that was uploaded is ok, reaches until Batangas. Anyway, need to learn on how to contribute places, will do my own research here but hopefully someone can provide some quick links on how to do that.

So here are my "absent ako nung tinuro yung GPS" questions:

1. How do you contribute places?
    2. Can you correct past contributions?
    3. Is this some sort of "open source" map?
    4. Can you name streets?

Hope to be able to contribute soon.

Thanks!

you should be able to find most of the answers in the how-to thread for newbies.

goodluck and welcome to rg-ph!
    got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

Welcome to rg
      Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
      - Desiderata - Max Ehrmann

Comment

Welcome to RG Nognog,

Yes almost all of us were "absent" when GPS was taught. That is why we made the FAQ page, please refer to Kuya Legu's link.

Naming street names that have only Rd as a name is one of the fastest and easiest way to get contributor's status, if you are lucky enough to live in an area that our RG map still does not have names of streets in the map. But please make sure to confirm it with the latest Demo map, this is discussed in the FAQ of course.

Have fun mapping.

There is (as I understand it) no real open source map, all of the GPSR makers have their own standards for maps to work on their units. So the maps are all unit dependent, thus no open source. I think the nearest one can get to open source is "Polish format" but you can't use that in your Garmin GPSR for example anyway.

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Been reading up on the links, although it may still take me time to understand all the stuff.

Well I've uploaded the Training Center, which I thought was a tutorial hehe, but as it turns out its a program for those using Garmin for training. Anyway, I can't seem to install mapsource. I tried using the workaround but ended up naming the file ___________.zip.exe instead. Argh, absent din ata ako nung tinuro yung how to rename a file. Anyway, hope I can get some tips on how to do the work around...

There's some stuff I want to update like wrong spelling of street names, road cuts (the device was making me go through a gated community), one way streets, maybe even some new tracks from our Batangas and Tagaytay subdivision projects. Of course, important waypoints such as gas stations, restos, convenience stores, car repair shops, etc as well.

Comment

@cs_nognog
            i revised the workaround steps for installing mapsource found here. it should help you with your problem on renaming the extension.

as an alternative, you could just use gmaputil and apply the mapsource install fix. it'll save you the hassle of renaming and extracting mapsource.

Comment

Originally posted by legtu View Post
              @cs_nognog
              i revised the workaround steps for installing mapsource found here. it should help you with your problem on renaming the extension.

as an alternative, you could just use gmaputil and apply the mapsource install fix. it'll save you the hassle of renaming and extracting mapsource.
              I did the revised workaround, map source installed but wouldn't run, it said it couldn't any installed mapsource products.

Comment

then i'd recommend trying the alternative step which i've already mentioned.

Comment

Tried the utility, clicking "mapsource install fix" but nothing seems to be happening. Although there was a "Mapsource unlock wizard" that appeared in my programs. Followed the steps up until it said to enter the serial number of the unit, should I do this or does this unlock wizard have nothing to with the utility?

Comment

did you try to re-install mapsource after you've applied the fix?

Comment

do i just click on "mapsource install fix" and then click on "apply"? nothing seems to happen after that.

Comment

if the "unlock wizard" is already appearing, is mapsource installed already? it's asking me for a unlock code though...

Comment

may i suggest reading the threads more thoroughly and doing searches in order to avoid redundant questions and answers.

anyway as mentioned on the gmaputil thread, the install fix for mapsource allows you to install the app w/o needing training center. it won't install mapsource for you and as such, you're supposed to install (or re-install) mapsource after applying the fix.

re: unlock wizard
                          yes, it used to be included in mapsource. newer versions of mapsource doesn't have it anymore.

try to go to program files\garmin and look for mapsource.exe, if it's there, run it. if it runs, mapsource did install on your system.

Comment

When I clicked the "mapsource install button" a message below says "mapsource stand alone fix applied!". I tired re-installing however the result is still the same. I must be missing a step or something, I tried reading through the threads however I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong. Currently running on Windows 7.

Comment

Ok ok, slap on the forehead!

I wasn't downloading the roadside basic map!

Map Source is up and running, thanks legtu!

I guess I'll be having more stupid questions regarding editing but right now I'm just happy the I got to install the stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X