Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from Muntinlupa

Newbie here!

I've had my Garmin 1300 for a year now, I'd like to update the map, I've saved quite a bit of favorites already, how do I contribute so that I can download and install the latest map?

Thanks guys!

Hi Guys,

Sorry, there are lots of links to the guides, however some of them are archived so I'm finding it hard to follow the threads, anyway I hope I can get some help on these questions:

1. For waypoint contributions, are addresses counted? For example, (village name), block __, lot ___ ? These usually apply to newer subdivisions without any names yet.

2. How do I contribute newly paved streets? Do I go over them as tracks? However, the tracks are not as straight as the actual streets.

3. There are some waypoints with wrong names or abbreviated names, do corrections count as contributions?

4. How do I save my contributions? Through map source? Is there a link on how to save my data and then contribute it here?

Hope you guys can help, I got some data I want to contribute. There are some roads not yet on the map and of course new waypoints.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by pinoyplanner View Post
      Hi Guys,

Sorry, there are lots of links to the guides, however some of them are archived so I'm finding it hard to follow the threads, anyway I hope I can get some help on these questions:

1. For waypoint contributions, are addresses counted? For example, (village name), block __, lot ___ ? These usually apply to newer subdivisions without any names yet.

2. How do I contribute newly paved streets? Do I go over them as tracks? However, the tracks are not as straight as the actual streets.

3. There are some waypoints with wrong names or abbreviated names, do corrections count as contributions?

4. How do I save my contributions? Through map source? Is there a link on how to save my data and then contribute it here?

Hope you guys can help, I got some data I want to contribute. There are some roads not yet on the map and of course new waypoints.

Thanks a lot!
      1. I think addresses are not counted like the block numbers etc. but the name of the villages yes, for example you are entering at entrance of subdivision, you can save that waypoint and contribute, if you go to the clubhouse of the subd, you can save that clubhouse wpt and contribute that.

2. For the newly paved streets not yet on the map, you can save the tracks( your gps should be capable of recording 1 sec tracks) and save them as gdb filenor gpx file, not sure what you mean by go over as tracks though. The tracks depends on the actual streets so its not straight or sometimes its straight.

3. I think so. Submit them in a correction thread.

4. Use mapsource and save them as gdb file, its just like your favorites that are save in your mapsource in pc, just edit it. You may not want to contribute your personal waypoints here in Roadguide, so just submit new wpts that are not yet on the map.

For more details,you can check at the FAQ here.

Good luck.

Comment

Hello! Welcome to RG!

Most of the below points are to confirm or just to add on what Kuya JS already replied:

1. Please make sure you install Mapsource and download the latest Demo map, we are now in Demo map version 2.22 if I am not mistaken.
        http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=17

2. Make sure you double check your contributions against the latest demo map to make sure it is not already there or fixed, etc.

3. Village name, best to put at the entrance if there is only one.
        Street names are surely contributions as well.
        Street numbers and blocks and lot numbers not necessary.

4. New roads not yet in Demo map, best would be to turn on 1sec tracking and then go through the road. 1sec tracks please read the links here:
        http://roadguide.ph/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

5. Waypoints corrections is 100% counted as contribution, in fact I always say it is one of the commonly forgotten contribution, it is as important to delete non existing and fix wrong waypoints than to just keep adding them.

6. Please visit http://roadguide.ph/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23 and read through the different topics which you plan to contribute, for example there are how tos for waypoints and how tos for tracks, etc.

Keep in mind that you should not lump all your contributions together.

a. Waypoints new and waypoints correction is one gdb file, save it and upload.

b. New Tracks and new road names need to be in a different gdb file for upload in the correct upload topic as well.

You might want to name your contribution files like this:
        pinoyplannerWPApril2013
        PinoyplannerTracksApril2013

Or just PPWPApril PPTrackPP

The point is to distinguish between tracks and waypoints contributions.

Please post back if you have any other questions.

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

Hi Arvin and jspaloroan,

Thanks for the info.

I've now uploaded my waypoints to mapsource, I have some additional questions:

1. How do I save the waypoints to a gdb file?

2. I'm using a Nuvi 1300, some of the tracks disappeared and some waypoints are in the middle of nowhere. How do I program the Nuvi to 1 second tracking? Will the waypoint in the middle of "nowhere" be still accepted?

3. Once I figured out how to save it as a gdb file, do I simply post them on the contribution thread?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

1. If you say you have downloaded your waypoints to mapsource, then if you click save or save as, then the file will be saved as gdb already. So a gdb file will have all the waypoints you saved in it.

2. Please re read the comments I gave you, make sure you have downloaded and installed RG Demo Map version 2.22 as reference.

Please explain why your Waypoints are in the middle of nowhere, if there is a road, please submit a track for the road.

3. 1sec tracks please again read my comments on my post above, I gave you a link about 1sec tracks and how to turn them on.

4. Once you figured out how to save to gdb, well just click save or save as in mapsource... before you submit, make sure that you read the FAQ in Waypoints standards. Make sure that the waypoints you are submitting are not there already, using the demo map as reference. Also make sure your waypoints are in the correct side of the road. You can manually move the waypoints using mapsource using the arrow tool.

TTFN
            Arvin

Comment

After reading the how to submit waypoints etc , pls submit it and we will see if you were able to follow the standards correctly, then we will advise you then.

Suggest you submit first waypoints and wpt corrections, then you can try submitting new tracks later.

Comment

Is there a tutorial on how to contribute using Basecamp? I tried looking, but most instructions here are using Mapsource.

I did read about a Mapsource vs Basecamp pros and cons, but being that Garmin has stopped developing Mapsource (even if it is still available)...

Thanks!

Comment

Alfalfa,

Sorry but you posted in the wrong topic, because this is the intro page of Pinoyplanner.

If it's okay lets pick up the topic and your questions here:
                  http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=5401

don't get me wrong, your questions are Valid, and given that basecamp is the future, we (RG) needs to start making How tos. Unfortunately I am so used to Mapsource that I find using basecamp slow, for now, but we all need to start learning it. Anyway let's stop this discussion here and pick it up in the correct topic

Pinoyplanner, I agree with Kuya JS, try first to save a gdb file filled with your WPs, then post here if you already did, we can help you by checking your work and giving you tips on how to improve (if necessary).

TTFN
                  Arvin

Comment

Hi guys,

Ok, I'll check out the links again, anyway, more newbie questions:

1. If I do the "save as", will it also save my personal waypoints? Or do I simply delete those waypoints?

2. The waypoint in the middle of nowhere was caused by the track disappearing, it seems that there's a limit to the tracks the Nuvi can save, or I might just be technologically challenged.

3. Do I classify the waypoints? Like under restaurants, gas stations, etc. Or do I send them as one file? Or is that something for advanced users?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by pinoyplanner View Post
                      Hi guys,

Ok, I'll check out the links again, anyway, more newbie questions:

1. If I do the "save as", will it also save my personal waypoints? Or do I simply delete those waypoints?

2. The waypoint in the middle of nowhere was caused by the track disappearing, it seems that there's a limit to the tracks the Nuvi can save, or I might just be technologically challenged.

3. Do I classify the waypoints? Like under restaurants, gas stations, etc. Or do I send them as one file? Or is that something for advanced users?

Thanks again!
                      1. simply delete your personal wpts. Your save gdb file might consist several wpts, so delete the one you want to exclude.
                      2. Let us see first your track contribution, it should be 1 second track at least. But if your gps has no 1 sec capability, trcks can be considered specially if its important (like in a very remote area etc...)
                      3. Classify it by changing the icon of each wpt in their properties, hotel should be considered as lodging, restaurants should have an icon of food etc...Gas station with gas stn icon... Send them in one file (1 gdb file), it can consist of several waypoints like 50 wpts etc....
                      Note : dont send the file together with tracks. Tracks should be save as gdb file also but tracks only included (no waypoint). I think you get the drift already. Good luck

Comment

Just to add to Kuya JS' reply to you.

1. Your gdb file can contain several Waypoints in it, with different classifications. As Kuya JS mentioned, you just change the Icon by double clicking the waypoint to get to the "properties" of that waypoint in mapsource.
                        If you are not too sure of the classification, choose one of the generic icons like a colored flag, or colored shape, just not the black flag that is the default.

Also in description please put some kind of description if the waypoint is not common. ie: No need to describe a caltex station, but if your waypoints says Mang Arvin's only, then in description maybe put General Merchandising, sari sari store or maybe Bulalo restaurant (with the correct classification icon of course).

2. As you said some of your waypoints is in the middle of nowhere, if you do have a track for that, please include it in the waypoints file, just so the waypoints Mapper knows that it is not misplaced. However you still have to upload the tracks in the tracks contributions as well, if not the tracks will be missing in the next map update.

As Kuya JS mentioned also, best for you to try uploading a file first, then we can give you more comments and detailed suggestions. Don't worry we will not bite your head off if you have lots of mistakes

TTFN
                        Arvin

Comment

Thanks kuya Arvin for as usual more detailed explanation

Comment

Saved my unique waypoints, 62 in all, sorry, but what do I do next to contribute?

Comment

Been checking out the upload thread, all the replies seem to be in the tracks thread but there seems to be none in the waypoints threas, where do I post?

Comment

Working...
                              X