Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie from Q.C. sony xperia acro s

hello everyone!

i just bought a sony xperia acro s, a week ago, which is my first smartphone. i'm very excited about it having a gps, a major reason i bought one, and luckily i came across this site. i'm looking forward to learn and contribute here.

i'm also a private pilot on my way to become a commercial pilot/airline pilot and will soon buy a garmin aviation gps as well.

Nice phone, if I may say so myself.

My only complaint is that it does not have a user replaceable battery

Navtel 5.0 works nicely on them.

Problem is that with most phones, if GPS is on battery life is very very very short, so if you plan to use it often, plug it in a car charger.

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

hi arvin,

thanks for the reply. i see you have the same phone. yes, awesome phone indeed. another reason why i bought this phone is that it is water and dust resistant. which serves me well, since i am an outdoors person. i jog/run, mountain bike, surf, swim, etc...i ruined already three phones, by getting them wet in a boat, getting caught in the rain while biking and got soaked in my own sweat during jogging...

from my research here so far, i learned that navitel with rg map and sygic are good(tried the trial and liked it a lot). so i guess ill be getting both, as soon as i can find a friend or relative with a credit card hehe...

Comment

Nice... Another Xperia user. I recently bought an Xperia Z and have started using it for Waze. It sits in the car on it's charging dock so power isn't an issue. It also has an older version of Navitel that uses the RG map.

My HU is still my main GPS for navigation.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Nice pone! that is also water proof. That was actually my first choice but was over my budget.

I also have no problem with its battery, as i have many options and opportunities to always keep it fully charged.

Sorry, but what is Waze?

Comment

Originally posted by blackmamba19 View Post
            Sorry, but what is Waze?
            In a nutshell, it's a community-run GPS navigation software that provides realtime traffic conditions, among others, to fellow Waze users. As a user, you're also encouraged to report traffic conditions, road hazards, etc. so that other users can use your info to plan their routes.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waze

It requires an always-on data plan.
            There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

nice! ill look into that as well as soon as i have always-on data plan. for now im gonna have to stick to off line maps

Comment

Hehehe, no need always on data plan, you can just turn on data usage when you need waze and traffic update. So you can also subscribe to a bracketed non unlimited data plan for example. Heck some prepaid offers 1 whole day or whole weekend data plans

However I agree with Oj88 that to be safe that you do not go "over budget" get an unli data plan.

I am not sure if you can use wifi with waze, just turn it on when you have wifi connection to check traffic conditions, then plot using your offline GPS. The only problem is that you won't be able to contribute traffic info..

Comment

Working...
                X