Newbie from the UK - via Malaysia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from the UK - via Malaysia

Good day to all. As it says above, I'm a Brit that's recently moved to the Philippines having spent 5 years in Malaysia. After 6 months in hotels we're finally getting settled and now have the three essentials. Somewhere to live, something to drive and a GPS!

We (or rather I - Madam's a Filipina and a bit more mall orientated!) love a good road trip, so hoping to get out and about. The vehicle I've got is a bit of a rolling project, but hope to be able to get it to a stage that allows us to explore this fantastic country very soon. We managed to drive most of Malaysia and plenty of Thailand over the last few years and I know there's more to see here as well.

A quick question if I may, whilst the GPS is great, I love old-fashioned paper maps as well, especially when doing initial trip planning. I've bought all sorts from National Book Store but none are particularly detailed and are seem aimed at tourists and highway driving, the smaller roads and tracks aren't really shown. Is there a map series that shows a greater level of detail maybe similar to those the Ordnance Survey produce in the UK? I'd be grateful for any pointers.

Welcome to RG. Before the advent of GPS, I remember I was using a detailed map from National bookstore, one that is folded several times. I guess you're still better off using your GPS. Just try to contribute and earn the status of contributor so you'll have a more detailed map.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Welcome to RG and the Philippines.

Topo Maps are available electronically but they are so old that there are of pure curiosity value and of no practical use at all.

The GPS is the best way to go. You can go to http://maps.roadguide.ph and see the RoadGuide maps on the web (This is a pre-release version but same data as on the GPS) and you can print out what you need if you like to have folding stuff to play with in the car.

Cheers
      ================================================== =======
      If it aint broke, don't fix it .......

YAWN: The only time when some married men ever get to open their mouth
      ================================================== =======

Comment

Welcome

Wai aye, welcome to the Philippines PG site. Yes, a GPS is essential when driving here, even on well known roads, as you never know when there is a diversion, unfortunately, many of these are not marked for the drivers. So its either follow a jeepney or hire a tricycle to guide you, or use your GPS.
        Its more fun here than a night in the toon at Newcastle some times.
        John

Comment

Thanks for the responses and the welcome guys.

jayteecie - that sounds like the ones I've got. Was just hoping for something a bit more detailed. I guess we're spoiled in the UK with the level of detail availble on paper maps.

pangitpilot - Thanks for the link, I'll have a look. I'll also have a nose for the old ones as well. I like maps just as things to look at (sad, I know) as well as navigation.

jnieurzyla - More fun than a night out in the Toon? I'm going to enjoy this then! Yes, I've seen the impromptu diversions! Mind, to be fair, I don't think it's any worse than Malaysia who have the habit of closing whole parts of KL for various obscure reaons with no advance warning. Malaysia beating Indonesia at fooball leading to the immediate closure of Merdeka Square being just one example!

Think the first trip will be a gentle one, down the coast to Batangas and then round Mindoro. Next up will probably be to the top of Luzon. A slow build up to the major "How far south can I get using RoRo?" trip. Just got to get the motor up to scratch now, but we're getting there.

Comment

Welcome

If your ever in the area of Lipa, Batangas ley me know and we could meet and have a coffee and chat, you bring the ginger biscuits hahaha (I really miss them)
            John

Originally posted by GeorgeB View Post
            Thanks for the responses and the welcome guys.

jayteecie - that sounds like the ones I've got. Was just hoping for something a bit more detailed. I guess we're spoiled in the UK with the level of detail availble on paper maps.

pangitpilot - Thanks for the link, I'll have a look. I'll also have a nose for the old ones as well. I like maps just as things to look at (sad, I know) as well as navigation.

jnieurzyla - More fun than a night out in the Toon? I'm going to enjoy this then! Yes, I've seen the impromptu diversions! Mind, to be fair, I don't think it's any worse than Malaysia who have the habit of closing whole parts of KL for various obscure reaons with no advance warning. Malaysia beating Indonesia at fooball leading to the immediate closure of Merdeka Square being just one example!

Think the first trip will be a gentle one, down the coast to Batangas and then round Mindoro. Next up will probably be to the top of Luzon. A slow build up to the major "How far south can I get using RoRo?" trip. Just got to get the motor up to scratch now, but we're getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by jnieurzyla View Post
              If your ever in the area of Lipa, Batangas ley me know and we could meet and have a coffee and chat, you bring the ginger biscuits hahaha (I really miss them)
              John
              Ginger biscuits? Not seen 'em in donkeys ages. Could probably have found then in KL but not sure about Manila yet!

Comment

Working...
              X