Grandfather of GPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandfather of GPS?

Saw this abandoned military installation in Batanes, ran by the US Coast Guard (if I'm not mistaken) until the early sixties.

"LORAN (Long Range Aid to Navigation) is a terrestrial navigation system using ground-based transmitters. Hyperbolic LORAN lines of position (LOP) are formed by measuring the difference in reception times of synchronized signals."

"A LORAN net, or chain, requires a master station, initiating the pulse, and a series of slave stations. In very simplified terms, the master transmits and the slave responds. Charted values of this time delay measurement were placed upon a navigational chart. The measurement observed placed one somewhere along a LOP. That information is of little value without a LOP from a second pair. The point of intersection of the two LOPs is the location of the ship or aircraft receiving the signals. The station configurations thus must provide a geometry that allows such intersection."

Cool.

Really nice shot kuya... and also very nice place... serenity... :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by Beerboy View Post
      Saw this abandoned military installation in Batanes, ran by the US Coast Guard (if I'm not mistaken) until the early sixties.

"LORAN (Long Range Aid to Navigation) is a terrestrial navigation system using ground-based transmitters. Hyperbolic LORAN lines of position (LOP) are formed by measuring the difference in reception times of synchronized signals."

"A LORAN net, or chain, requires a master station, initiating the pulse, and a series of slave stations. In very simplified terms, the master transmits and the slave responds. Charted values of this time delay measurement were placed upon a navigational chart. The measurement observed placed one somewhere along a LOP. That information is of little value without a LOP from a second pair. The point of intersection of the two LOPs is the location of the ship or aircraft receiving the signals. The station configurations thus must provide a geometry that allows such intersection."

Cool.
      I wonder if the Loran are still in use by aircraft for navigation these days. Nice shots beerboy as usual

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
        I wonder if the Loran are still in use by aircraft for navigation these days. Nice shots beerboy as usual

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Thanks. From what I gathered, all LORANs were abandoned in the 60s. My dad also told me that there was one in Catanduanes as well.

The LORAN personnel in Batanes would invite locals occasionally to view movies at the LORAN. Locals would walk for hours just to get there as it was the only movie house at that time. Actually it was the only place that had electricity.

Comment

This from a pilot friend :

I remember using that in the DC 8 days. you looked for the loran signals using a ascilloscope type device. Then you plotted on a chart your readings. I dont think there are any loran stations in operation now; the last one in Lithuania was shut down long time ago. Remember that INS was introduced in the late 60's. The russians has their own GNSS by then.

Comment

This naman from my ship captain friend. Does not denote that I am the same age with my friends ok?

"During my seafaring day when GPS, Satelite Navigator are still a dream, Sextant was the only intrument you can use to know your position in the high seas if weather permit you to have sight reduction of the sun, moon.stars and planets. RDF, LORAN A and LORAN C, Decca Navigator is not that precise but acceptable, RDF when nearing tha coast and as Alex said "dead reckoning" pag malapit na sa coast that is the only time you will know where you exactly made your landfall...When VHF was introduced kapag nawawala...just shout BALUT...PENOY sa Channel 16, pag may sumagot na Pinoy you can ask your position if you are close to that ship ang mahirap kung siya man ay nawawala rin pala...."

Comment

before the world is big. now it is just a download away.
              Schadow1 Expeditions
              A Filipino must not be a stranger to his own motherland.
              http://www.s1expeditions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Beerboy View Post
                This naman from my ship captain friend. Does not denote that I am the same age with my friends ok?

"During my seafaring day when GPS, Satelite Navigator are still a dream, Sextant was the only intrument you can use to know your position in the high seas if weather permit you to have sight reduction of the sun, moon.stars and planets. RDF, LORAN A and LORAN C, Decca Navigator is not that precise but acceptable, RDF when nearing tha coast and as Alex said "dead reckoning" pag malapit na sa coast that is the only time you will know where you exactly made your landfall...When VHF was introduced kapag nawawala...just shout BALUT...PENOY sa Channel 16, pag may sumagot na Pinoy you can ask your position if you are close to that ship ang mahirap kung siya man ay nawawala rin pala...."
                Afaik,the last LORAN stations stopped transmitting only last year sir (per USCG memo). We still have charts onboard that have loran lines pero hindi na ginagamit. Also, just say "PAREKOY" on 16 at sobrang dami ang sasagot sayo.

Comment

Working...
                X