Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin Philippines, Is there such a thing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin Philippines, Is there such a thing???

Hi, saw a newspaper add that Garmin Philippins is looking for dealers in the Provinces. I never knew there was such a Garmin Philippines....

Plus, the add says, the Garmin units they are selling have road maps from Apari to Jolo.....

What map are they using? Has anyone seen the maps?

Originally posted by Moses View Post
    Hi, saw a newspaper add that Garmin Philippins is looking for dealers in the Provinces. I never knew there was such a Garmin Philippines....

Plus, the add says, the Garmin units they are selling have road maps from Apari to Jolo.....

What map are they using? Has anyone seen the maps?
    Garmin Philippines? If we look at Garmin's official dealers for the Philippines, this is the list given http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/deale...r+this+Country. Any chance the one who posted the add is one of those listed? If not, then most probably this advertiser's just riding on the Garmin name and using Roadguide's map as the selling point without permission. Any contact numbers posted in the ad? And even if the ad poster is on the list, they can't say that Garmin have road maps because they don't. Only Roadguide and OSM have working maps for the whole Philippines (Accu maps don't have complete coverage imo). Thanks for posting this Moses...

Comment

I attend the auto show at SMX on sunday and there is a booth selling Garmin Product. the seller is from Taiwan. He is looking for a distributor here in the Philippines. They are selling the whole line of latest garmin product with Philippines Map. price range from 16t to 29t. the latest garmin don't have any antenna socket at the back. I did check there POI and some Streets name. I did not see any roadguide name. I not sure where map map came from. I also saw AVT gps on the other booth and also check there map. there map don't have POI. I got some brochure from them.
      Nation's Laws are a reflection of national character

Comment

1999 when i had my first 2 Garmin GPS which is Garmin eTrex (yelow), the simpliest & eTrex Summit that i bought at Geotech, Cubao, QC. it was the only GPS dealer that Garmin recognize. infact, if you have garmin gps for repair you can bring it to their shop and they will try to repair it pag hindi kaya they'll send it to Garmin Taiwan. i have my eTrex yelow repaired by them, just minor repair, they flashed the rom & update the firmware for free kasi its within warranty. as early as 2004, Geotech has a philippine map but not that extensive, only the luzon has more details.

3 months ago, i saw an ads of a 2nd hand Nuvi 260, it was cheap so i bought it for my brother. he is now using it in india. the original owner told me he bought it in the philippines but not from geotech. pre-installed with philippine map, guess what??? parang 5.06 version of roadguide map ata yun or 5.31 hehehe hindi ko kasi nasulat

Comment

I was in Manila Autosalon 2009 car show @ MOA SMX last sunday and I was surprised that Garmin (distributor) has a booth. There were nuvis on display and available for testing. Tried each and they were not equipped with Roadguide map. I also asked the manager Changyu if they are using Roadguide map, he responded with a firm voice "NO!"

The nuvi 1410 was priced at 29,000 however I was asked if I am from BIR in a whispering voice. I told him no and he was giving it to me for 26,000 as the car show tag price.

Their company name is . and have an office in Makati.

AVT was also in the car show, I was offered 16K for their entry level gps.
          Last edited by Jan; 08-05-2011, 19:28.
          SMS Machine • PictureSMS • SMS Commander • BattLogger • TraceCrash • MemoManager • vCardManager

Suntzu Software for Palm Treo

www.suntzu-software.com

Comment

Me and Hbt was also at SMEX last sunday.
            Garmin is really looking for dealers here in metro manila and in provinces.
            Geotech is only official dealer for marine gps units.
            Nuvis have no official dealer yet.

I checked their map a little bit and I can say that as of now our roadguide map is much more better in terms of coverage, POIs and polygons.

Btw, they intend to sell only 4 types of nuvis here, 1100, 1200, 1300 and 1410 priced between 25k to 29k.
            FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

25-29k?

My brother just got back from the US and he was fortunate to be there during Black Friday so I got a good deal on a 255W (came out to $130 including taxes). A 1300 only cost 200ish including taxes. Knowing what features are useful for our market.

If AVT units can be had below 20k I don't think Garmin will do well.

Comment

Requirements for Distributorship in the Philippines

I previously contacted Garmin thru the person I deal with there . Here is their reply:

Dear Mark,

Your mail has been forwarded on to me from Marketing Asia. For any estimation before any decision, can you please provide us with your company information?

We may require your company profile, consisting of the following details.

1. The current Channels

2. The number of your employee

3. Revenue of year 2009 to date.

4. Amount of your capital

5. Covered cities

6. Year of establishment

7. Your market size and sales forecast

8. Financial statement

Thanks for your data in advance.

We will evaluate it then and give you feedback soon. Thank you

Comment

i was at the Manila Auto Salon also last saturday and tinkered with the Nuvi test units... i kept asking the sales person what map is in it and she kept telling me that its Roadguide map... but when i looked at the map info, it says PTI rout... she even gave me a Garmin pen.

went to the AVT booth too and tinkered with the units... no comparison really with our Roadguide map... ours is simply the BEST!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_D View Post

If AVT units can be had below 20k I don't think Garmin will do well.
                    You can have the entry level AVT for 18K directly from them. 16K during the car show. 22K @ the casa.
                    SMS Machine • PictureSMS • SMS Commander • BattLogger • TraceCrash • MemoManager • vCardManager

Suntzu Software for Palm Treo

www.suntzu-software.com

Comment

The company distributing AVT in the Philippines is also supplying car Alarm and back sensor to mitsubishi and is located somewhere in Araneta. But the price is too much. The price is more than double compare it if we bought it outside.
                      The sales lady even dare me to challege their GPS. Ask me what location i want to search. So, i told OK and to search for jollibee in retiro st. I know the fact that "retiro st" is now " Amorante st".
                      She was baffle why she can not find it and ask me again if it is in quezon city or manila city. I told her try to search both. ha....
                      She just said " Well if you're in the vicinity you will find an icon in your GPS". i just laughed well if i am in the vicinity, i don't need to search bec i will saw the large signboard on the street.

Comment

I found some gps seller Festival Bazaar in World Trade center. They are using roadguide map. one is selling DENKAT brand and other is GPS brand. both are made from china and using OS garmin and roadguide map. The bazaar is open upto 12pm to 10pm weekdays and on weekends 10am to 12am. So you can check them out until Dec. 16

Comment

Originally posted by tomgotan View Post
                          I found some gps seller Festival Bazaar in World Trade center. They are using roadguide map. one is selling DENKAT brand and other is GPS brand. both are made from china and using OS garmin and roadguide map. The bazaar is open upto 12pm to 10pm weekdays and on weekends 10am to 12am. So you can check them out until Dec. 16
                          If a roadguide map is installed, how can you tell what version it is? Routable and with find?

Comment

There is an official Garmin distributor for the nuvi and the fitness line in the Phil.

Here's the website.

http://www.navco.com.ph/

You can ask for a pricelist and place an order thru email, while the site is under construction.

sales@navco.com.ph

Their offering one year warranty period for all items.

Comment

i hope there's a garmin philippines.

Comment

Working...
                              X