What is a GPS STATION??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a GPS STATION??

I can see from Map source that there are different GPS stations in the country? What is this for?

I understand that the GPS gets signal for the satellite which divided the earth into segments and it beams into those segments the different degrees or directions. Thus from what i know, the GPS does not need help from any ground source since it's data is installed in the machine and the location is given by the satellites.

I also googled it and no webpage actually explained the use.

Anyone, please enlighten me..

Thanks.

Hi Moses.

Saw quite a few of those too in the map.

I believe this explanation will help. http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/474421.html

Sounds logical to me.

allan

Comment

Originally posted by amf View Post
      Hi Moses.

Saw quite a few of those too in the map.

I believe this explanation will help. http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/474421.html

Sounds logical to me.

allan
      Interesting stuff. never knew that.

Comment

cmiiw isnt this similar to the WAAS/EGNOS?

Comment

i think this gps stations are actually within the 3G mobile transmitter sites... observation ko lng po sa area namin..

Comment

On one hand, I am leaning towards the answers.google.com reply -- differential GPS (DGPS) stations. Our company has several in the Philippines. However, I can't say for sure as I have yet to get my self Mapsource to see where these GPS stations you are referring to are located.
            ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

So basing from Google Answers, GPS Station........is a fixed, known position
              station which transmits relatively low-power signals which advanced
              GPS systems can use to increase the accuracy of the satellite signals.

Comment

Could be.
                Just a side note though, since currently, WAAS satellite coverage is only available in North America and I doubt that the Philippines is included in EGNOS's complex network of ground stations, I would think this could also be some sort of beacons used in, but not limited to, aviation, to either increase their positioning accuracy or verify their course.
                Now, given that this option is available in (some/all) our units come this such an option, whether we'd really benefit from it if we are in WAAS/EGNOS territory, I wouldn't have a clue - I haven't been to waas/egnos territory, just some glonass territories in the past . Maybe for those who are in these territories could chime in.
                Last edited by B2Bomber; 06-23-2009, 15:35.
                ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

a year later, thanks to f_alconera, it appears these are GPS control points used by surveyors for the PRS-92 system.

Comment

Working...
                  X