carNAVI Gps map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carNAVI Gps map

I was at S&R super market Alabang earlier today and came across a gps product they were selling, called carNavi. I checked it out so the sales man came and introduced me to the product. It was explained to me that the product is proudly locally made, he then showed me its capabilities and so on until I saw the map to which surprised me to find its exactly roadguide.ph map. I saw my contributions in it specially the polygons around Sta. Rosa Laguna (the Coca Cola polygon beside Sta. Rosa south bound toll which I had mistakenly over drawn) is exactly the same on that map. The map properties indicate that it is copyrighted to openstreetmap.org and carNavi2010, but openstreetmap.org does not have those details (road and polygons) like our map and not even on Maning's OSMphil_garmin map.

For people who want to see for them selves, the stall is located right beside the entrance door of S&R Alabang.
    The device is clearly made in China quality, it is no way in comparison with the Garmins as you have to wait 2 sec. or beyond for every command and very confusing to use.
    I also saw a memory stick attached so I dont know if the map is installed on the card or on its internal memory.

My question is:
    How did my contributions end up at S&R retail stores in a gps device selling for 8,000+ or 13,899 with Bluetooth capabilities? Or am I missing something?

Originally posted by paullex View Post
    I was at S&R super market Alabang earlier today and came across a gps product they were selling, called carNavi. I checked it out so the sales man came and introduced me to the product. It was explained to me that the product is proudly locally made, he then showed me its capabilities and so on until I saw the map to which surprised me to find its exactly roadguide.ph map. I saw my contributions in it specially the polygons around Sta. Rosa Laguna (the Coca Cola polygon beside Sta. Rosa south bound toll which I had mistakenly over drawn) is exactly the same on that map. The map properties indicate that it is copyrighted to openstreetmap.org and carNavi2010, but openstreetmap.org does not have those details (road and polygons) like our map and not even on Maning's OSMphil_garmin map.

For people who want to see for them selves, the stall is located right beside the entrance door of S&R Alabang.
    The device is clearly made in China quality, it is no way in comparison with the Garmins as you have to wait 2 sec. or beyond for every command and very confusing to use.
    I also saw a memory stick attached so I dont know if the map is installed on the card or on its internal memory.

My question is:
    How did my contributions end up at S&R retail stores in a gps device selling for 8,000+ or 13,899 with Bluetooth capabilities? Or am I missing something?
    For the record, there is no commercial agreement between carnavi and roadguide.ph. My best guess is that instead of osm map, they're using our 1.07 free map. Maybe they realized that our free map is more detailed, hence easier to market to the public. But they should have at least acknowledged that it came from us.

Comment

I read in today's issue of PhilStar an advertisement about Nissan's offering for their cars with handheld GPS navigation as a come-on. I wonder if the one depicted on the picture is a Garmin NAVI. If so, it probably has the free GPS map on it. But in doing so, it should amount to a sale of the map.
      Garmin 260W

Comment

Well, I guess every one's starting to ride the bandwagon like Isuzu (as "featured" in INQ's Navigational High article -- which has been discussed previously.
        Anyway, for those who would like to check whether they are indeed using RG.Ph maps, I think the map does have several (around 50) easter eggs (that's what I think they are, or they could probably be just an aftermath of early studies in the making of the map).
        Last edited by B2Bomber; 08-18-2010, 15:17.
        ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

Working...
        X