Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golfing and GPS

RG golfers and Gurus,

I was informed that there are some GPS devices going around being used specifically for Golfers. I am trying to convince my Uncle who is going to he US for a trip to buy a Nuvi instead of renting (he wanted to borrow mine, but my Nuvi doesn't have the maps for N America). An avid golfer, maybe the swing vote might come from the possibility of using GPS in the golf course.

Apparently the GPS is used to estimate the distance to the hole, which I think is the primary purpose, but some of the units apparently even have a swing counter (score keeper) which I am sure our PNDs can't do, so we can just forget that feature for now.

I would like to check with you, if my understanding of how to make this work is correct or not.

1. We could ask contributors to submit waypoints of each of the holes of a golf course, or at least the middle of the green.

My question, do the admins think it is important enough that we want these in our main map? Or should we maybe upload these on a separate "golfer's map"? Or heck even to our free map?

2. I imagine that golfers will not want to be searching for each of the POI of each hole every time, so maybe setting up a Route for each 9 holes? So that the route will go through holes no. 1,2,3,4, etc.up to 9 in sequence? then hole no. 10 to 18? Would this be correct?

3. Or we could just not include all these in our RG map and just offer all the WP and Routes for download, we just have to set it up as "personal" preference WPs and Routes?

I do not play golf often, heck I try to avoid playing golf, but those who are regular and avid golfer contributors might be interested in this concept.

Lastly I don't know if it is allowed by the rules of golf to use a GPS device to know how far the hole is from your current position, where others without the device will just rely on the markers and the caddies.

Appreciate comments and suggestions

TTFN
    Arvin

theres a previous thread on this:
    http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1398
    FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

in a tournament you will be disqualified for using a device to aid your game.
      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Okay maybe better to get that thread going again rather than have two threads about golf.

HBT, I was thinking that too, but then I wonder if the people who wrote the golfing rules actually imagined GPS being used. But yeah if there is a rule that disallows devices to measure the distance during a game, then that already prohibits GPS. Will ask my Uncle about it too, but apparently there is a device being sold for this specific purpose already.

I forgot you are a golfer, my home course is Tagaytay midlands, but frankly speaking I probably don't have a proper handicap on that course yet! Shows how "often" I play

Anyone who is interested in this topic, lets try to just revive that original one:

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1398

Thanks!

Comment

golfer, gulper

same same
          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Working...
          X