Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound equipment/head unit for Fortuner

Hi all,

In a previous thread I mentioned my woes with Toyota Makati and the cr@p they sold me. I returned the AVT equipment and now need to replace it with something else.

I have decided to just stick to my Nuvi and look for a nice in-dash DVD head unit with perhaps a reverse camera and some decent subwoofer/speaker combo. Have seen the Pioneer range in Blade, anyone with experience on Pioneer equipment?

What else should I consider? And something that worries me is the quality of the installation. Any recommendations where I could go?

Of course there is Banawe...but I'm not Pinoy so...$$$

Rudi

I shouldn't really be saying this, but here it goes anyway:

1. Pioneer
    2. Kenwood

Banawe is still probably the place to go because even though you said $$, you will still be able to get a good price or haggle with them compared to high end stores and dealers.

Unfortunately I think all of the aftermarket 2 Din models out are real 2Din meaning 180mm x 100mm while the Fortuner radio space is 200mm x 100mm so you will surely need a spacer.

Oh sheesh wait!

http://www.mickeysautosound.com/

Mickey is A1 installer, based in pasig, so if you want good quality installation, and quality sound system, contact him first.

I had him install a 10" subwoofer on my old RAV4, many people has been surprised at how good the bass sound in a very compact install like what he did! and this was just one add on.

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

arvin555 is correct about mickeysautosound..one of the best Car Audio Installer in Metro Manila.

or try to visit this forum about Car Audio in the Philippines KAC lot of People will help you out to find the best Car Audio System you like.

Comment

Can't go wrong with the current Kenwood DNX or DDX models (2010 and later). The DNX models are usually sold in the US and has navigation built-in. On the other hand, most (or all) DDX models are AFAIK will require an external navigation module.

Why choose Kenwood over Pioneer or Alpine? Aside from the excellent sound quality and multimedia capabilities, the GPS modules (internal for DNX and external for DDX) are actually OEMed by Garmin. Needless to say, you get to use our map on these HUs.

My DDX8034BT and accessories (2009 Model)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
          Can't go wrong with the current Kenwood DNX or DDX models (2010 and later). The DNX models are usually sold in the US and has navigation built-in. On the other hand, most (or all) DDX models are AFAIK will require an external navigation module.

Why choose Kenwood over Pioneer or Alpine? Aside from the excellent sound quality and multimedia capabilities, the GPS modules (internal for DNX and external for DDX) are actually OEMed by Garmin. Needless to say, you get to use our map on these HUs.

My DDX8034BT and accessories (2009 Model)
          http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j107/orlyp/IMG_8590.jpg
          http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j107/orlyp/IMG_8589.jpg
          http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j107/orlyp/e5fdf8b1.jpg
          Do not get kenwood dnx6980 (2011 model).

I did and have regretted it ever since.
          It won't recognise the sd card unless u put it in while the unit is on. (So every time you stop the vehicle and restart it, it won't recognise the card)
          It won't export favorites.
          Its slow.
          Its slow.
          Oh did I mention that it's slow?

When it works its ok.
          Well if you can life with the fact that poi's don't show...
          Oh yes, its extremely slow.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
          How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
            It won't recognise the sd card unless u put it in while the unit is on. (So every time you stop the vehicle and restart it, it won't recognise the card)
            BerryBlab[/i]

changed the sd card. thats ok now.
            damn thing still slow though.

Comment

Do not get kenwood dnx6980 (2011 model).

I did and have regretted it ever since.
              It won't export favorites.
              Its slow.
              Its slow.
              Oh did I mention that it's slow?

When it works its ok.
              Well if you can life with the fact that poi's don't show...
              Oh yes, its extremely slow.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

changed the sd card. thats ok now.
              damn thing still slow though.
              must have gotten a lemon.
              damn thing died and killed the carbattery...

Comment

i think you have to exit the nav software 1st before you turn off the HU, or else even if you turn off the car the nav is still running. (as per experience of a friend whos also a member here)

nothing to lose, try it.
                Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Unkel! No matter what angle you look at it, if this is true it's either an installation mistake or a design flaw!

It's like American cars that supposedly would keep the cigarette lighter turned on/working even if the keys are off the car, causing fires when phones or chargers get overcharged/overheat.

http://www.tannerwilliamson.com/2009...-vehicle-fire/

My point being that aside from some very low power devices that you need on even while the key is off, there should never be any power supplied to other devices and accessories. Car stereos when turned off should only drain a very small amount of power to preserve the memory settings (FM presets, etc. etc.).

TTFN
                  Arvin

Comment

On Kenwood 2-DIN Nav models, there's no "Exit" option to get out of Nav. The navigation module powers up and down with the HU.

When you power down the HU (either turning off the HU directly or by removing the ignition key), the subsystem goes into shutdown mode (I can hear the HU's blower) for about 10 seconds. After that, the faceplate/display resets to its neutral position then the unit turns off completely, with only the red security LED flashing.

From a bit of experience with Kenwood HUs, I suspect two things that could've happened to Jan:

1. The HU software hanged on shutdown, leaving the subsystem running indefinitely and draining the battery. If this is a software glitch, pressing the recessed reset button would put everything back in order
                    2. The car battery just died on its own due to age or defect

No. 2 actually happened to me just last week (talk about coincidence). I didn't use the car last weekend. Then on Monday (Aug. 8, 2011), the engine failed to turn over. This is my second Motolite Gold and the first one died the same way; without warning. This time however, I was still covered by warranty until Aug. 28, 2011... If it had happened 21 days later, I'd be screwed and about 3 grand poorer.
                    Last edited by oj88; 08-14-2011, 23:31.

Comment

i think you just have to turn it off properly or........ sell the car at a low low price preferably to me, :sly: then no worries na
                      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Kuya, battery draining as a separate issue, could be, specially if Kuya Jan is two wheeling more than 4 wheeling!

But if you tell me that even after one takes off the keys the unit may/can still continue to work because it is shutting down.... man I wouldn't even use that on my car, even if it was given to me Sounds like something Microsoft made!

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                          Kuya, battery draining as a separate issue, could be, specially if Kuya Jan is two wheeling more than 4 wheeling!

But if you tell me that even after one takes off the keys the unit may/can still continue to work because it is shutting down.... man I wouldn't even use that on my car, even if it was given to me Sounds like something Microsoft made!
                          Well, like I said, it's just the subsystems that still works for a while... Music and video playback as well as navigation immediately stops and the screen goes dead. The "back-end" shuts down within a few seconds (not minutes). I don't think anything is wrong with it... design-wise. That said, it is different, but not altogether weird. Some car computers for a fact, remain on for about 10-15 minutes after you've removed the key before they go into deep sleep mode. But that does not mean you can't trust them, right?

Sure, there were a few "What was Kenwood thinking?!" moments from me. Kenwood's implementation of its own OS still leaves a lot to be desired as many users find their UI slow and somewhat laggy (but then, so is my Android phone). But in their defense, given the amount of functionality these HUs have, I'm a bit tolerant for as long as the business side of things (audio/video playback quality from DVD/VCD/CD, USB HDD, iPod integration, SDHC, TV, navigation, etc.) works without a hitch. And to that end, Kenwood hasn't failed me.
                          Last edited by oj88; 08-15-2011, 06:54.

Comment

Working...
                          X