French Embassy not in our GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French Embassy not in our GPS

I was surprised my China-made GPS could zero in on the French Embassy when our RG map couldn't, and I couldn't find it in "Embassy of France" either. It turns out only 5 countries have Embassy of ___ (ex. Japan). The rest aren't in our map! This is a chance for junior members to check out Embassy locations and plot them out so you can become contributors! I already submitted the French Embassy so don't include that in your list. Cheers!

Originally posted by Triggerfish View Post
    I was surprised my China-made GPS could zero in on the French Embassy when our RG map couldn't, and I couldn't find it in "Embassy of France" either. It turns out only 5 countries have Embassy of ___ (ex. Japan). The rest aren't in our map! This is a chance for junior members to check out Embassy locations and plot them out so you can become contributors! I already submitted the French Embassy so don't include that in your list. Cheers!
    hi. try this.
    on your device (not on mapsource), go to "where to?" then type "embassy" there you will see that we already have around 29 embassies.
    pls check if there are some corrections needed. thanks.

you're right by the way, no embassy of france yet on the map.
    Last edited by doki; 07-17-2011, 22:53.

Comment

Originally posted by doki View Post
      hi. try this.
      on your device (not on mapsource), go to "where to?" then type "embassy" there you will see that we already have around 29 embassies.

Thanks, Doki! There were only 3 embassies on our 1.26 map in Mapsource (Bangladesh, Belgium, Indonesia ). The other two pala were Embassy Garden Homes and Embassy Hotel. Hmm.. I thought all waypoints in the demo map are in our GPS and vice versa.

Comment

Triggerfish,

On my 1.26 map, when I searched using mapsource with the words "embassy of" I found more than 3, actually found 10 total, no French Embassy though.

Also not sure where you get those Shengen Visas, but probably not in the map yet, I might be wrong though.

UK embassy is not in the map either.

So yeah there are quite a few more embassies that Junior Members looking for Contributions can get and contribute.

Kuya why are you even using a Demo map when you are a contributor already? If you are referring to why Kuya Doki wanted you to try on your GPSr, it is probably because Mapsource and your GPSr might have different ways or systems for searching, I have noticed this as well, I like using mapsource's search specially when doing pre trip planning.

TTFN
        arvin

Comment

If I cannot search it in Mapsource, I usually do it in the actual gpsr, yes, it happens most of the time, so check both always.

Comment

I thought all waypoints in the demo map are in our GPS and vice versa.
            hi doc triggerfish, what you see in mapsource is also what your device receives.
            some poi's are not searchable using mapsource but searchable when using the device. and there are also some poi's that are in the map but cannot be searched both in mapsource and device. depends on which category was used.
            but in this case, mapsource can't see them due to inconsistent naming. mapsource will only search for poi's with "Embassy" as the first word in the name (ex. Embassy of Japan), whereas those "Embassy" word not in the first part of name (Thai Embassy) will not be seen by mapsource.
            unlike that of the device, when we search for embassy, it will look for the word "Embassy" no matter which part of the name they occur, be it "Embassy of zzz" or "zzz Embassy"

for the record, here are the list of embassies we have: (name as reflected in map). coordinates included so you can search them via coordinates in mapsource.
            1. Embassy of Peru (14.54161 121.02072)
            2. Embassy of Japan (14.54060 120.99246)
            3. Embassy of Belgium (14.53787 121.03445)
            4. North Norweigian Embassy (14.54019 121.03144)
            5. Indian Embassy (14.54442 121.02338)
            6. US Embassy Annex (14.54349 120.99183)
            7. Embassy of Russia (14.54225 121.03070)
            8. Chile Embassy (14.54734 121.02990)
            9. Egyptian Embassy (14.54761 121.03192)
            10. UAE Embassy (14.55330 121.01795)
            11. Embassy of Qatar (14.53536 121.04763)
            12. Embassy of Indonesia (14.54995 121.03176)
            13. Thai Embassy (14.55609 121.01836)
            14. Embassy of Bangladesh (14.55032 121.03501)
            15. Indonesian Embassy (14.55823 121.01532)
            16. Embassy of the Republic of Singapore (14.54665 121.04621)
            17. Cultural Section Embassy of Islamic Republic of Iran (14.55811 121.02754)
            18. Australian Embassy (14.56102 121.01641)
            19. German Embassy (14.56107 121.01638)
            20. Canadian Embassy (14.56112 121.01638)
            21. Malaysian Embassy (14.56093 121.02162)
            22. Saudi Arabia Embassy (14.56128 121.02183)
            23. British Embassy (14.53993 121.05421)
            24. Russian Embassy (14.56075 120.99250)
            25. Embassy of the Soviet Republic of Vietnam (14.56066 120.99214)
            26. Korean Embassy (14.54069 121.05491)
            27. People's Republic of China Embassy (14.56206 121.02343)
            28. Royal Norweigian Embassy (14.56182 121.02548)
            29. Embassy of the United Stated of America (14.57830 120.97797)

i will rename the others for consistent naming. on next mapversion, it will be "Embassy of _____" for easier searching as it will now come out during search in mapsource when using "Embassy" word in searching.

@to all:
            noticed 2 indonesian embassy and 2 russian embassy - if you are familiar with the place pls verify.
            if you see some corrections needed. pls do submit them.
            thanks.
            Last edited by doki; 07-18-2011, 06:46.

Comment

hi. try this.

Thanks kuyas.
              Kuya Arvin, I was pre-planning my trip via Mapsource to the French embassy to get a Schengen visa.

Now, I'm clueless, kuya Doki. I always thought mapsource (latest version) is exactly like that in our GPS units. if I were a junior member and scanned our demo 1.26 version mapsource for possible POI contributions for instance, I would have tried contributing the 29 Embassies you enumerated (which it turns out, are already in our units), precisely because they wouldn't be in demo map!

Isn't this how we check for possible contributions anyway? Check out latest version in mapsource and whatever roads or POIs aren't there could be sent in as contributions?

Comment

Thanks kuyas.
                Kuya Arvin, I was pre-planning my trip via Mapsource to the French embassy to get a Schengen visa.

Now, I'm clueless, kuya Doki. I always thought mapsource (latest version) is exactly like that in our GPS units. if I were a junior member and scanned our demo 1.26 version mapsource for possible POI contributions for instance, I would have tried contributing the 29 Embassies you enumerated (which it turns out, are already in our units), precisely because they wouldn't be in demo map!

Isn't this how we check for possible contributions anyway? Check out latest version in mapsource and whatever roads or POIs aren't there could be sent in as contributions?
                kuya, they are in demo map. you'll see it when you scan it.
                btw, demo map have no "find" function. besides, junior member will see it when they double check with demo map if what they marked is already on the map. they have been actually on the site, hence their mapsource will have the waypoint in the area, all they need to do is scan/view the immediate vicinity around the waypoint if such establishment already exist. if none, then they can include it.
                in contributor's map, you'll see it when you use the "find" function.
                and you're right, our latest map viewed in mapsource will be exactly like the one in our gps units when we upload it to our devices.

Comment

Doc Triggerfish,

Yes I have noticed the difference between searching in GPSR vs. Mapsource as what Kuya Doki and Kuya JS has mentioned. The GPSr is more forgiving, will put out names found even if the keyword is in front or at the back. While in Mapsource it usually only wants to find the first word, or you have to be more "accurate".

As for the naming of Embassies, I guess Embassy of XXX (why doesn't kuya doki like xxx and used zzz instead? ) is better for searching, but it won't be exactly the official names.

Embassy of Thailand officially is named Royal Thai Embassy, Manila. The UK embassy is officially called "British Embassy, Manila".

TTFN
                  Arvin

Comment

dual name i think is better IMO. just like our street name. a lot of people doesn't know the official name of an embassy

e.g.
                    Royal Thai Embassy / Embassy of Thailand
                    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Would that be searchable with Mapsource?

Or would Embassy of Thailand / Royal Thai Embassy would be better?

TTFN
                      arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                        (why doesn't kuya doki like xxx and used zzz instead? )

Arvin
                        it's so pr0n sounding eh.

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                        dual name i think is better IMO. just like our street name. a lot of people doesn't know the official name of an embassy
                        true. even i don't know their official names. hence logical that i would search it by using "embassy" as search phrase.

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                        e.g.
                        Royal Thai Embassy / Embassy of Thailand
                        yes that would work. but i have do it the other way around if we want to consider to accommodate mapsource searching. Embassy of Thailand / Royal Thai Embassy.
                        downside: won't fit in the device due to character limit.

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post

TTFN
                          arvin
                          yes. i agree.
                          your reply came in earlier than my reply to master hbt. (fekkin internet. takes me about 10mins just to reply to a post)

Comment

===== QUOTE arvin555 ====

TTFN
                            arvin

===== /QUOTE ====

yes. i agree.
                            your reply came in earlier than my reply to master hbt. (fekkin internet. takes me about 10mins just to reply to a post)
                            Sus. You type that slow?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
                            How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                              Sus. You type that slow?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
                              hands getting older na.

Comment

Working...
                              X