standalone gps systems on the way out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

standalone gps systems on the way out?

interesting article from: http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/y...around-in-2020

Standalone GPS Systems

The days of spending $200 or more on a standalone GPS device won’t last much longer, analysts say.

“Portable navigation devices like those sold by TomTom and Garmin will probably not be sold in 2020, just because mobile phones will have taken on that function themselves and because GPS systems will be standard equipment in cars,” says Charles S. Golvin, an analyst at Forrester, a market research firm. As a result, there won’t be much of a need to buy a product whose only function is to tell you directions.

If there is a demand for these GPS systems, it will likely come from a very specific segment of consumers.

“Maybe you could argue there will be a market for guys climbing Mount Everest or long-distance truckers or the military, but for the vast majority of consumers, standalone GPS systems will be irrelevant and redundant,” Baker says

Thanks for the article, I still love my old dependable 265WT. In my case I still want a separate gps device for directions while driving. It's hard for me to take calls and switching back to look at a map on the same device. I also want to be able to check the elevation of a given area

So with this news, I would take better care of my Nuvi 265WT, my old and faithful companion on the road

Other RG members what's your experience and take on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by razorspells; 10-21-2011, 07:50.

Comment

I was going to disagree with the idea that stand alone PNDs are going to be extinct, but the forecast is 2020 so yeah probably by then we'd be talking about our Nuvis like they are steam powered cars.

As of now between my mobile phone GPS apps (Samsung/Garmin XT and Navite) and my Nuvi, I will say my Nuvi is my primary Navigation device, no contest.

TTFN
      Arvin

Comment

In 2020, we will all be extinct!

The world ends in 2012

Hehe

Joking aside, the article might be true, but that's because the prediction is in 2020 pa. With the technological advancement we have now I'm pretty confident many things that we enjoy now will be old technology by 2020.

That's Moore's Law.

Comment

I have a Nokia N95 8GB and it has internal GPS

I installed Garmin Mobile XT and became a RoadGuide.ph Contributor, got the Unlock Code, and have the latest RG.ph V2.02 Map of the Philippines.

But I also bought a Garmin Nuvi 255 and got an Unlock Code for that' with more submissions.

So in my case I prefer a stand alone GPS Navigator, and here is why:-
          1. Nokia N95 needs to be 'extended' and placed horizontally to get best GPS reception (as GPS antennae is under the keypad, that is normally under the Screen)
          2. Nuvi 255 gets good GPS reception, no matter what angle the Screen is at, and even when not in clear view of the sky
          3. Bigger Screen on Nuvi 255, than Nokia N95
          4. Garmin Nuvi 255 cost under Php5K with all cost of Shipping and Customs/VAT, Nokia N95 cost me Php24K
          5. GPS in Phone is 'Convenience' Factor' with Portability, not Practicality or Useability necessarily.

You can't make a Phone Call or sent Text Messages with a Garmin Nuvi however, or take GEO tagged Photos. No AGPS to help get 'Location Fix' from Cell Sites, when bad GPS Reception. Can't upload your GPS Track via WiFi or 3G either.

GPS built into Mobile Smart Phone
          , and Stand-alone GPS Navigators, each have their place and application.

With the introduction of new 7" Tablet PC like Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0, you have the best of both however!

If the Price of a Galaxy Tab 7.0 is too high, consider Chinese 'aPad' running Android 2.2/2.3 for under $240

There is Cherry Superion, with Android OS. This seems to have all the features including integral GPS, and recently reduced in Price by Php6K.
          Php1.166.58 x 12 monthly = Php13,998.96
          That is Php10K less what I paid for my Nokia N95 8GB via installments.
          CPU is only 600MHz however, which lets it down, even at that price.

32GB iBex FlyTouch 3 aPad - Gps Android 2.2 Tablet PC - 10"

$224.99 (Php9,900)
          CPU: InfoTM X200 ARM11 1Ghz (aka X220)
          Display: 10-inch (1024×600 ) LCD
          RAM: 512MB DDR2 / ROM: 16GB -
          Note: only 28.5GB is available for use as 3.5gb of storage memory is used
          for O/S, Apps, and GPS. 3.36gb is in the SD Card part under settings,
          and 25GB+ is in the "My Pad" icon on desktop.
          Battery: 8000mah - use up to 6 hours!
          Camera: 1.3M
          Headphones Connector
          GPS: HopeRF XN203
          Wifi: 802.11B/G
          I/O: 2x USB; 1x RJ45; 1x HDMI; 1x Stylus-slot
          Vibration
          Accelerometer
          Dimension: 269.91mm*170.45mm*14.89mm
          Buttons: Back, Home, Menu, Volume, Wifi, Reset and Power

Suggest reading up on AndroidForums.com, on such iBex FlyTouch 3 There are Mods available and upgrades for FlyTouch 3, and a lot of fake 'clones', with inferior components (like Battery not 8000mAh, etc)
          Last edited by Britster; 10-23-2011, 17:24.

Comment

Might be true, as with what is happening to standalone digital cameras, because mobile phones have already taken on that function.

Comment

These tablets need Navitel to run our maps - lingering question is whether RG will support this format regularly in the future - so makes you think twice if it would be wise to move to Android run devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Britster View Post
                With the introduction of new 7" Tablet PC like Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0, you have the best of both however!

If the Price of a Galaxy Tab 7.0 is too high, consider Chinese 'aPad' running Android 2.2/2.3 for under $240
                Not really, I also have one of these Samsung Galaxy 7" tablets, while the map function is very good, it's way to bulky for it to be considered portable. The GPS apps are not all free as well. While there are free ones, they are not as good as the ones you pay for. Battery life is also suspect as enabling GPS on the tablet quickly eats up the battery life. I only use the tablet for the map function it has (whenever I am lost and need to get my bearings).

I still prefer using my eTrex over the tablet when it comes to GPS use.

Comment

I have to disagree with this, but I guess we'll know in 10 years if this prediction comes true.

Yes smartphones have GPS already, but it would be a big hassle if I have to do everything with one machine. What if I have to text or make a phonecall?

Even if it becomes standard with cars, I think some would prefer the convenience of being able to take it out.

Anyway, right now I'm thinking my arguments are weak, but doing everything on my smartphone? I don't think so, you don't replace your toolbox with a Swiss Knife or a Leatherman.

Comment

Working...
                  X