Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice wanted on how to record and Subnit Map Info!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice wanted on how to record and Subnit Map Info!

When riding Minor Roads that have varied surface from Concrete, what was concrete but in bad state, Tarmac, Dirt , Gravel, Rocky, how do you Contributors make NOTE of what surface it is and where it starts and stops?

In a Car, with a Navigator to take Notes and Press Track Point on the Surface Change, it would not be a problem.

But when I am riding such roads, it is usually Solo with friends on our Dual Sport Bikes.

Brett (govoner) has a GoPro 960 Helmet-cam. I recently got a copy of his 'raw' Video of a ride up the 'Bamboo Trail', Magahuway, Cebu, as well as a copy of his Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX Track Log.

I am hoping if I can synchronise these. Pick a distinctive Point on the track to be both the Start of the GPS Track on MapSource and Cut the Video to Start at that very same spot, So with both synchronised, it should be able to pause the Video at the change of Track Surface and determine via elepsed time where that is on the Track in Mapsource.

Probably easier to buy the ContourGPS Camera, that has a built in GPS and automatically adds a Synch Track.

Video mapping from the world's smallest and lightest gps video camera.
    The ContourGPS captures beautiful 1080p video.
    It utilizes a 135° wide-angle rotating lens that delivers a true high quality image that captures all the action with minimal distortion and fish-eye.
    It records Full HD in all its glory.

Compare Cameras

Add GPS to the Story

Whether retracing your laps at the ski hill, checking your speed on a DH run or logging the gain on a road ride, the tracking capability of the ContourGPS adds speed, location and elevation to the picture. The ContourGPS is set up with a GPS receiver that auto-maps the three essentials - location, speed and elevation - at up to two times per second to create a continuous track of coordinates. After the fact, the GPS track synchronizes with your footage to provide a second-by-second replay via Google Maps of the run you ripped, the route you rallied or the ride you crushed.

As I dont have any Helmet-cam, that is the one I would probably buy.

Brett (govoner) could pay out for the DashWare application.

See "Adding GPS Track Map to Helmet-cam Videos"

http://dashware.net/
    This is software that makes the job of synching ones Video, to the GPS Track Log, a lot easier. Plus one can add animated Icons for Speedometer, Altimeter and Oddometer as well as a Clock. You can also add a GPS Track Map with a moving Icon showing where the Video was being recorded, as you watch the edited final version, with all these 'overlays' added.

However ContourGPS has one big advantage over DashWare and your GoPro Camera and Garmin GPS. That is the Android or iOS App that adds Wirless Monitor /Remote Control!

Mobile Connection

With the new Bluetooth® capability of the ContourGPS we've made it possible to check your angle on a smartphone screen before dropping in or taking off. The Contour App creates a wireless handheld viewfinder that enables you to align your shot to make sure you have the right angle and eliminate guesswork. Made for both iOS and Android, the ContourGPS connection also allows users to tweak settings via phone on the hill or at home.

Learn more

Now this really got me thinking - what if you could add a motorized Pan/Tilt mount, controlled by such screen App (or a button that simply swings it from straight ahead, through 90 degrees anticlockwise). Press for a left side shot sequence, and press it again, for a rearwards shot sequence. Press again and your shooting to the right, and once more for straight ahead again.

OK the video, as its panning, is not likely to be good quality (but those bits can be edited out in final version).

Since I can't afford to buy a ContourGPS right now that will have to be an idea on the 'back burner' for a while.

A more affordable solution might be a 'SPY' Audio Logger. These are small, like a Pen, so easy to mount such, that your Voice inside the crash helmet is recorded. Usually Voice Activated and provide a Digital Date/Time Stamp.
    So provided you set the Time on the Spy 'Pen' Audio Recorder to be GMT (which is what GPS Satellites are set to) it should be in Synch with your Garmin GPS Track Log. Then when you hear 'Concrete' recorded, you should be able to find that time on the GPS Track Log and add a Waypoint that you can lable 'Concrete'. Then when you hear 'Dirt', you can add another Waypoint parking the end of 'Concrete' and back to 'Dirt'.

I could achieve the same with my Nokia N95 8GB Phone if I took a Photo at each and every change of surface. The Photo would be GEO-tagged and hopefully shows what the surface is. The problem is how to mount such and operate it while wearing gloves. If/when I take my asawa as back rider she could tackle that.
    Last edited by Britster; 06-19-2012, 08:30.

Some Question concerning RG.ph Submissions

Questions about RG.ph Submissions.

Apart from difficulty recording the change in surface, I am also finding ones GPS track Log Submissions, don't always match what one finds on the RG,ph V2.xx release?

I don't normally use Navigation Feature on our Green Trail Rides, but I did recently going up the 'Bamboo Trail' for GTR#26. As I approached the end, nearing the Injtersection with the Toledo Wharf Rd, the Garmin Nivi was telling me to turn LEFT before the actual Intersection was reached. I zoomed in closer and there was an intersection and a short section of track connecting to the Toledo Wharf Rd to the West of where the real and other intersection is shown (which incidentally,the 'Bamboo Trail' asi we nickname it, is not directly opposite the Track North to the TransCentral Highway, but 52m West from that intersection).

I know GPS accuracies vary, and depend on how good a signal lock, with how many satellites.

When I first started using my Garmin Nuvi, and setting it to Diagnostic Mode, it did not actually record any .bin file, so no '1 Sec Track' Logs! So some of my NEW Tracks are not 1 Sec Tracks.

However we do submit our GPS Track Logs to 1 Sec Tracks, so why are these improved Track Logs not used to tweak and improve earlier submissions?

Govoner had submitted hos 60CSX GPS Track Log of GTR#17 then we both submitted GTR#22 and there was stilll errors on RG.ph V2.10.

Well we now have also both submitted GTR#24, specifically to fix the tracks in that area and add new ones not on RG.ph V2.10.

Apart from that, and the bogus Intersections and Tracks at the end of the 'Bamboo Trail', I have noticed another problem!

The intersection where we went off the Toldeo WharfCorrect spelling is Mananga River!) and followed the river upstream under the road bridge, then went through/across the river to the NW side, is missing from RG.ph Map!

here is what I just posted on that (this version was Waypoints), but also submitte under New Tracks to get the 'missing bit' added. Also submitted a 4Hz Track Log that I did of Bamboo Trail to Lagtang Grill.

Is there not a Thread to Report a Missing part of a track Submission - an error related edit, from the submitted data.

For example if a Submission was from Satellite Trace or a download of Spoerts tracker of WikiLoc or whatever, and was not verified with actual GPS Trace, how shgould this be reported. Then when that Track so submitted is verified with actual GPS Track Log, it can replace or consolidate what was previously submitted?

Just submitting them as 1 Sec track Logs doed not seem to correct the errors. I can see quite a few discrepencies of current RG.ph V2.10 on MapSource when I have added the GPS Track Logs of my modified WBT-201 Bluetooth GPS Logger.

I changed the Interval from 1000ms to now be 250ms, but I have it set, to only Log i) 4kph and above (but below 130kph), ii) On Change of heading + 2 Degrees from last bearing Log. This could potentially give up to 4 x Track Logs per Second on tight bends, depending on speed travelling,

BUT the Date Time Stamp does not record Deci-Seconds, so all 4 Track Points have exactly same Time Stamp. I dont know if TimeMachineX on coverting from .TK1 to .TK2 then to .gpx, or if MapSource, on reading .gpx and connverting to .gdb screws up but some Track Points ar in the wrong Sequence. If you view in MapSource and view center map on screen and scroll down the track points, I notice it reversing by 1 .2 or 3 points, then jumping forward.

How does RoadGuide.ph Mapping deal with these jumps?

If 'tracing' the plotted Track points on the Maps, then it won't be a problem,but if filtered to reject an instantaneous reverse, then these extra Track Points, will be thrown away?

Copied here, is an example of such Problems of a GPS Submission not appearing like it looked on MapSource with Track added, when next Version with the addition is displayed.

In some cases Tracks, that were not accurately recorded, are left on the Map, and the Correction added instead of Modifying the exisiting Track on the Map!

Or a submitted New Track is seemingly taken as a misaligned exisiting Road section, or something, rather than an intersection and a New Track.

There does not appear to be a Section to explain/discuss and submitting under the new release thread does not seem altogether appropriate.

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....4&postcount=42
    This submission is to hopefully modify the current RG.ph Map to show there is a Steel Bridge across the River Mananga from Lagtang and before Camp 4 Barangay Hall.

See Camp 4 Bridge over Mananga River Waypoint on Attached.

I am not sure if there should be a Track Section for Bridge, or a Waypoint Bridge Symbol, but since the River Mananga is not shown on the Map (unlike @ Cebu South Road where there is polygon showing the Mananga River - spelt wrong on the RG.ph Map incidentally!), it is not obvious there is a bridge there currently.

One certainly can not take the DirtBike Track at that point by the Bridge, as shown on the current RG.ph Map! It is a fair drop to the River below, but the sides of the Bridge prevent that!

The Track is actually along, across and through the Mananga River so you are likely to get WET!

NB: It should be labelled 'DirtBike Track' rather than 'Unpaved Rd'

See BambooTrail_ToledoWharfRd.gdb

I added a Track to represent the Mananga River
    for illustration purposes.
    Please ignore it is not a track Submission.

On our Green trail Ride #9 We went under that Bridge on the SE side of the River then crossed the River, shortly after.

The Intersection point, and the DirtBike Track that leads to BELOW that Bridge then we crossed through the River, to the other side, just past the Bridge, is NOT currently shown on the RoadGuide.ph Map!.

You end up crossing and traveling up the River, several times in different places. This would be clear if the River Mananga was added to the RG.ph Map

Comment

Working...
    X