Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are GPS receivers legal in philippine roads ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are GPS receivers legal in philippine roads ?

Hi ,

Just wanted to validate if our garmin's or tomtom's are legal to use in our roads. Might sound a crazy question but just wanted to make sure. Some cops might see my garmin on my dashboard then throw some NTC *%$&# and confiscate my unit hehehe.

Congrats to the new Mods ...

I am pretty damn sure there are no laws against it in our country yet. It is a fairly recent technology. So I think they (police, LTO and NTC) don't have any authority to confiscate your devices there.

Well, but then again, I may be wrong.

Just my 2 centavos...
    HubertMD

Comment

No, they are not illegal. The only devices that needs NTC approval are those that transmit a reasonable amount of radio frequency (RF). Navigation equipment such as the Nuvi's and others are just plain receivers. They don't emit any RF.

Exception are those Garmin GPS units with built-in GMRS transceivers. In the US, you're required to have a license to operate these. Over here, I'm not even sure if they're already type-approved by the NTC.

In the US however, some states have strict policies on windshield obstructions. In many states, you're not allowed to obstruct the viewable area of the windshield below the AS-1 line. (Obstructions can be GPS, radar detectors, or tint.) That's why Garmin included a dashboard pad in most of their nav products so the driver has an option to install it on the dashboard.

FWIW, my Nuvi is installed above the AS-1 line.
      Last edited by oj88; 04-24-2009, 12:59.
      There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Here, here. I know that GPS's are not Illegal here. Even where you mount it is not Illegal here... Hehehe.

Just dont let the Cops see it nga, baka makursunadahan nga!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mudspike View Post
          Hi ,

Just wanted to validate if our garmin's or tomtom's are legal to use in our roads. Might sound a crazy question but just wanted to make sure. Some cops might see my garmin on my dashboard then throw some NTC *%$&# and confiscate my unit hehehe.

Congrats to the new Mods ...
          in the US they prohibit puting gps device on top of the dash board but not here in manila and beside most cops here doesnt know gps just tell them its a vcr lolz

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
            No, they are not illegal. The only devices that needs NTC approval are those that transmit a reasonable amount of radio frequency (RF). Navigation equipment such as the Nuvi's and others are just plain receivers. They don't emit any RF.

Exception are those Garmin GPS units with built-in GMRS transceivers. In the US, you're required to have a license to operate these. Over here, I'm not even sure if they're already type-approved by the NTC.

In the US however, some states have strict policies on windshield obstructions. In many states, you're not allowed to obstruct the viewable area of the windshield below the AS-1 line. (Obstructions can be GPS, radar detectors, or tint.) That's why Garmin included a dashboard pad in most of their nav products so the driver has an option to install it on the dashboard.

FWIW, my Nuvi is installed above the AS-1 line.
            What isa an AS-1 line?

Comment

Originally posted by alpha-q View Post
              What isa an AS-1 line?
              The AS1 line is usually marked on the windshield at the time of manufacture and is usually found at around the six-inch mark (measured from the top).

As defined:
              "The AS number stands for American Standard, and is "AS" (or "American Standard") followed by a number indicating the position in which the glass may be used, based on its optical quality. AS1 is the clearest glass (at least 70% light transmission), is laminated, and can be used anywhere in a motor vehicle (typically just the windshield), AS2 is tempered with at least 70% light transmissions, and can be used anywhere except the windshield, and AS3 can be used in certain locations in certain vehicles (and can be laminated or tempered, and has less than 70% light transmission). There are higher numbers used for other purposes, but are not normally encountered in cars. This number must be near the manufacturer's name/logo, preferably below it."

Regulations for tinted windshields differ from those for other windows in the passenger compartment. While the other windows can be entirely tinted, for example, the windshield may be tinted only within the uppermost six inches, or from the top of the glass down to the AS1 line. There can’t be anything on the windshield that encroaches on the driver’s field of vision and hinders his or her ability to operate the vehicle safely. Some vehicles today have names and even slogans affixed to their windshields, but these, too, must be confined within the six-inch band or in the space above the AS1 line.

AS-1 line on the upper left corner of my windshield

Refs:
              http://www.carwindshields.info/windshieldmarkings.htm
              http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/n...ters/06MAR.pdf

Comment

Very nice information....thank for all the responses.

Comment

Good Info

Never knew that... thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
                    Some models come with an FM transmitter which could technically be subject to NTC regulations. However, this is low power which would probably exempt it... and if not, local Garmin distributors should have already received the NTC nod.

Comment

Originally posted by LloydV View Post
                      Some models come with an FM transmitter which could technically be subject to NTC regulations. However, this is low power which would probably exempt it... and if not, local Garmin distributors should have already received the NTC nod.
                      That's true. I've forgotten about those. Ideally, those things needs to be type-approved too. It's just that, FM transmitters abound; From the more expensive Belkin FM transmitters for the iPod to cheap ones sold at CDR-King, that the NTC no longer cares.

Comment

help

Maybe you could help me just bought Garmin Nuvi GPS thru Amazon US and then ship it here but the customs won't release it. According to them it needs a NTC permit.

Comment

Sir, I suggest that you try to contact NTC

http://portal.ntc.gov.ph/wps/portal/...s.7_0_A/7_0_D2

Try the one stop Public assistance center. I used to know the name of the engineer that you inquire about these things, but sorry his name slipped my mind, I had to get an import permit for a Bluetooth device I ordered as sample.

May I ask what model did you purchase? If there was an FM modulator or Bluetooth, unfortunately customs is correct, you need NTC permit. Do not worry it is not expensive, it is just a hassle, but you can do it almost within half a day, just get the full specification of the unit and of course ask the engineer what documents and stuff you need to bring when you get the permit, oh man this might even involve Garmin for the docs, I hope not, in any case try their website first maybe technical details can be downloaded from there.

If it is a plain GPS receiver, I am almost sure (well I said almost) that NTC will say you don't need a permit, just make sure you tell them that it is only a receiver and not a transmitter. As mentioned in this topic, NTC will not regulate devices that only receive. It's the transmission that is regulated, like Bluetooth and FM transmitter na nga.

This post of your's is relevant and other members should be careful with what model they will order from the US, because if the unit says Bluetooth, and customs sees it, they will surely ask for a permit from NTC.

Please let us not talk about "other ways" around this here in the forum.

TTFN
                          Arvin
                          Last edited by arvin555; 05-18-2011, 23:56.

Comment

Originally posted by gatmaitan20 View Post
                            Maybe you could help me just bought Garmin Nuvi GPS thru Amazon US and then ship it here but the customs won't release it. According to them it needs a NTC permit.
                            I had a similar problem before from a non-GPS purchase abroad. Although my items weren't held for the lack of a permit, the tax and other fees I had to pay for them were ridiculous. Since then I stopped importing stuff through the mail.

Comment

So jeeps are not in compliance with AS1. 7 dwarfs, tacky stickers, curtains, head unit, cash box, etc. Not to mention a huge chromed horse in the hood. Vision is like peering through a mail box.

Comment

Working...
                              X