X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ScanGauge II

hi guys,

since our mapping hobby also includes driving around in our automobiles,
    am just curious if any of you uses ScanGauge II ?

you may read it here http://www.scangauge.com/

well, i have mine for about two years now and cant drive without it.. because of this gadget too that i stumbled upon the word "hypermiling"

i use it primarily to improve my driving habits thus resulting is higher mileage for my suv and japanese sedan as well. ive also encountered "check engine" warning with my suv twice and successfully reset it using this.

care to share your thoughts?
    Last edited by VFORCE3; 01-10-2013, 18:59.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    - Desiderata - Max Ehrmann

I used one for more than three years. It gave me insight to a lot of things about what the car was doing at any point in time. With the feedback it provided, I found several new ways, as well as validating old practices, on how to save fuel, among others.

I have since changed it to an UltraGauge EM. The SGII is now with my brother.

Here's some of the videos I published about the subject:

SGII:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPF4NPrz2Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xfxSkDHJKo

UG:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgdyCo7oSpA

My ghetto command center:
    Then:

Now:
    Last edited by oj88; 01-11-2013, 12:17.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

very nice gadget too. the ultragauge is thinner, can display more data and cheaper too...

unlike the ScanGauge which is around $160... but considering that its Made in the USA.... its worth it naman. never had any issues with it since
      Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
      - Desiderata - Max Ehrmann

Comment

Originally posted by VFORCE3 View Post
        very nice gadget too. the ultragauge is thinner, can display more data and cheaper too...

unlike the ScanGauge which is around $160... but considering that its Made in the USA.... its worth it naman. never had any issues with it since
        Yes. Definitely the SGII feels more sturdy. But ironically, the blue backlight died around the 2nd year and only the red and green LEDs are working. So instead of having a white backlight, it ended up looking amberish. No biggie though.

Comment

Our Ecoroute has some function of resetting as well? its connected to the OBD connector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

I use a cheap china made OBD2 bluetooth adapter with Galaxy Tab running Torque Pro app. Lots of features, I don't have time to explore all of them.

Comment

A lot of apps are coming out that does this and most look pretty amazing. Particularly the pseudo-analog gauges.

But my opinion below is more of an "it's me, not you" thing.

My OC with any gadget I put in my car is that, it should be purpose-built and it must be a semi-permanent fixture in it. As an example, my car has it's 'own' 320GB HDD for videos, a 120GB iPod for music, and a GPS module for navigation, all integrated with the HU. The HDD and iPod practically lives in the glove box and the only time it gets out is when I need to add new material. I don't use these for anything else. My phone and iPad are then free for other stuff.

My qualm with using tablets or phones as part of the car's instrumentation is that it's not purpose-built. And the thing about using non-dedicated gadgets in cars is that once it's mounted, you lose the ability to use it for almost a lot of other things. Also, whenever you leave the car, you have to take it off and vice versa. This can be daunting if you do it on a regular basis. I've tried it before but I always end up getting tired of the rituals of setting it up and tearing it down that I eventually stopped doing it altogether.

Comment

Very nice sir oj! Question lang, how did you mount the UG? Where did you buy it? I searched the net and it seems you can only get from their own website?

Comment

Originally posted by primo1 View Post
                  Very nice sir oj! Question lang, how did you mount the UG? Where did you buy it? I searched the net and it seems you can only get from their own website?
                  I got the idea from here: http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/23...ltragauge.html

The mounting bracket comes with the package. I believe, only the windshield mount (where the mounting bracket attaches to) is sold separately.

Comment

Hi OJ888, teamjm from teamfd. Nice gadget. I had a Scangauge before but didn't like the display unit so i decided to sell it. Learned about the Ultragauge a couple months back and my friend is bring me one soon when he gets home.
                    Nice mounting bracket! Where did you get it locally?

Comment

Originally posted by teamjm View Post
                      Hi OJ888, teamjm from teamfd. Nice gadget. I had a Scangauge before but didn't like the display unit so i decided to sell it. Learned about the Ultragauge a couple months back and my friend is bring me one soon when he gets home.
                      Nice mounting bracket! Where did you get it locally?
                      The bracket/holder is included in the package. Only the goose-neck windshield mount is optional.

(borrowed pics)

Original package:

Modded to something similar to this:

Comment

I hate windshield mounts. It destroys the Tint. Thanks bud! Will try on it once my gauge arrives!

Comment

I also have one in my diesel engine car for more than three years now. i bought it from scan gauge company. as long as you have an OBD socket, you can use it.

after a year of using it. I saw a china made copied from scan gauge selling for cheaper price. they really copy everything.
                          Nation's Laws are a reflection of national character

Comment

Working...
                          X