Android Apps Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android Apps Discussion

First off, I hope this topic is okay with the Admins, I just thought that it would be nice to have a bit of discussion on favorite Apps by Android users, didn't post it in the smartphone section because I imagined it's really for Smartphone used for GPS and not others. We could request for transfer if in fact it is okay to post in the smartphone section.

Okay to start it off, I have been an android smartphone user for maybe 3 years now, love it as much as I hate the other popular OS (hehehe). Hoping to have somewhere we can discuss favorite apps and suggestions here.

For instance, during an EB, Kuya Doki mentioned that he liked to use handcent sms as opposed to the built in SMS messenging. I tried it and liked it very much as well. (Just haven't figured out how to actually stop an SMS from being sent, if for example it was being sent to the wrong person, Kuya Doki?)

Another very important topic with apps is the Locator app, Anti Theft app and full wipe app, anyone have a favorite?

TTFN
    Arvin

Messaging:
    Viber
    WhatsApp
    Voxer
    Handcent

Locator:
    Life360
    Where's My Droid

Utilities:
    Easy Task Killer
    easy Battery Saver

File Transfer:
    Dropbox
    SugarSync

Virtual Assistant:
    Vlingo

Scanners:
    Goggles
    CamScanner

Games:
    ANGRY BIRDS
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
      First off, I hope this topic is okay with the Admins, I just thought that it would be nice to have a bit of discussion on favorite Apps by Android users, didn't post it in the smartphone section because I imagined it's really for Smartphone used for GPS and not others. We could request for transfer if in fact it is okay to post in the smartphone section.

Okay to start it off, I have been an android smartphone user for maybe 3 years now, love it as much as I hate the other popular OS (hehehe). Hoping to have somewhere we can discuss favorite apps and suggestions here.

For instance, during an EB, Kuya Doki mentioned that he liked to use handcent sms as opposed to the built in SMS messenging. I tried it and liked it very much as well. (Just haven't figured out how to actually stop an SMS from being sent, if for example it was being sent to the wrong person, Kuya Doki?)

Another very important topic with apps is the Locator app, Anti Theft app and full wipe app, anyone have a favorite?

TTFN
      Arvin
      It was Kuya Jan who told me about Handcent. There's a setting there to set delay for predetermined time before sending so you have time to cancel sending if you want

Anti-theft = Prey

Comment

Thanks Kuya HBT and Kuya Doki,

Kuya Doki, how do you cancel sending an SMS? I mean is there a command?

To both kuyas and others
        Regarding location and security apps. I have seen reviews of Where's my Droid, but haven't heard of Prey and Life360.

My question, for these apps, have you tried locating your phone without wifi signal?

I am testing Avast, and unfortunately a found out that Avast is not able to remotely turn on the data or wifi of the phone unless the phone is rooted. I was able to locate the phone using their website fairly quickly when I turned on Wifi of the phone. But the scenario is that if it was stolen, we need to locate the phone using either data connection or heck just GSM connection.

Would appreciate your inputs if you have tested the apps that you are using. As of now I'd say that the location and wiping function of Avast mobile is useless for unrooted phones.

Oh, I'm using Sony Xperia on ICS, turning on data would only give me 12 hours My phones used to give me at least 3 days before I needed charge

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

for sms, i use pansi. it's lighter on resources w/o loosing much on functionality plus i kinda prefer the old inbox/outbox messaging style from time to time rather than the newer conversation mode. with pansi, i can switch to either style anytime.

as for trying to cancel the sending of a sms, you'll need a different app for that. alternatively, you could try switching on plane mode and hope that it doesn't get through.

i don't use task killers and av's.

for missed notification reminders, auto-profiles, phone locator, etc., i use tasker.

betterbatterystats for checking w/c app(s) is eating my phones batt.

total commander as my main filemanager.

airdroid/ftp server/vmlite vnc for phone management/wireless file transfers.

business calendar as calendar app, classic notes + app box for notes, etc.

then there's mobi calculator, quickpic, etc.

one of the things i can't live w/o is link2sd. without it, it won't be possible for me to have 3+ (and growing) 'screen pages' just for games alone.
          got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

Kuya Doki, how do you cancel sending an SMS? I mean is there a command?
            Set message sending to have a delay. Time delay is up to you.

then everytime you send, you will see a "stop" button

Comment

Thanks Kuya doki, never noticed "stop sending" button, will check it!

Kuya Legtu, please expound about link2SD, it's for you to use microSD for app installations? I noticed on ICS I can't install to my externalSD (on my Xperia) though my Gingerbread allowed me to do so and free up internal space.

I think that the find/wipe app is very important for our smartphones, because if our smartphones is stolen, a lot of information is there, for example gmail, emails, contacts, etc. sometimes even PIN like usernames and passwords. I have not yet lost my phone, but know people who has.

Also I read somewhere that the pattern thing is not as secure as PIN as phone password, I just changed to PIN because I knew from the start naman that the pattern thing will leave a smudge on the screen, so that the thief can see the pattern and unlock your phone easily.

TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

do not put important info and if you did, back up those dang files and always log out of the account. or use a file locker.

the most important thing is to play ANGRY BIRDS

MWAHAHAHA
                Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                - Bruce Lee

Comment

Of course, Angrybird was probably the first app that I downloaded. My phone can be connected to HDMI input of a TV, so we can even play Angrybird BIG version! Actually first time I saw this done was with an LG booth in Podium I think.

Kuya, can't sign out coz I set my phone to check email from time to time even while off (it's a nice app called "data easy"). Plus who actually signs off from gmail app, playstore, facebook, etc. (though I don't use FB on my phone) and the likes?

So I take it kuya HBT you have not tested your locator apps yet?
                  Scenarios are that it was forgotten or stolen while in standby mode, so at least if you have pin security on, the thief can't turn use your phone. But can you track it? Can you remotely turn on GPS or at least track it using cellsites or data connection?

Kuya Doki, found the STOP button Thanks!

TTFN
                  Arvin

Comment

Kuya Doki, found the STOP button Thanks!

Welcome.

Comment

there is a way to open the pin.

ay... i'm hyBEERnating pala
                      - Bruce Lee

Comment

So Kuya if pin can be cracked, better to use pattern? Or Pin is still better but still has holes? Which brings me back to my question about location and wiping apps.

TTFN
                        Arvin

Comment

Kuya Legtu, please expound about link2SD, it's for you to use microSD for app installations? I noticed on ICS I can't install to my externalSD (on my Xperia) though my Gingerbread allowed me to do so and free up internal space.
                          yes... and more (eg. freezing apps, converting between user/system app, etc.). you need root though.
                          got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

Oh no! Root! Don't get me wrong I like tinkering with my gadgets, but probably not rooting my new phone... yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X