Man Fatally Shot After GPS Takes Him to Wrong House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a million and one ways to die, but I would've never thought this could be one of 'em.

Rodrigo Diaz, a 22-year-old Georgia man, was shot and killed after his GPS device directed him to the wrong house, his friends who were with him at the time of the shooting claim.

Diaz and the others in his car were trying to pick up a friend to go ice skating Saturday night. However, Diaz's friends say his GPS device mistakenly led him to the home of 69-year-old Phillip Sailors.

Sailors, mistaking the situation for a home invasion, appeared outside of his home with a .22-caliber handgun. He fired one round in the air then another at the car while Diaz was attempting to speed away. The second shot hit Diaz in the head and he later died as a result, according to WSBTV.

"The guy came out," 15-year-old passenger Yeson Jimenez told WSBTV. "He went in again and he came out with a gun in his hand and he shot into the air."

Diaz had recently arrived in the United States from Colombia.

Sailors, a Vietnam War veteran, was arrested Sunday on a charge of malice murder, or murder committed with the specific intent to kill. He has no previous criminal history. His lawyers told WSBTV that Sailors is innocent and was merely trying to defend his home and his family.

"We maintain Mr. Sailors' innocence. I can tell you Mr. Sailors most certainly thought he was defending his life, his wife's and protecting his home," attorney Mike Puglise said.
    http://mashable.com/2013/01/30/man-shot-gps/
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Hmmm, I would think that if the GPS accidentally made me go into the wrong driveway to my home that I would notice that it's not my home! Sheesh! It's similar as the story that Japanese tourists in a rental car drove into the sea because the GPS said so!

If you shoot at persons on your property, that can be considered "defending your home" but if you shoot while the person is trying to drive away already, that is manslaughter! (I am not a lawyer, just watch a lot of cop and lawyer shows on TV)

In the Philippines, I understand you can't shoot dead an unarmed person who broke into your house! Best to beat him up instead!

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

Kuya Arvin, article says they were trying to pick up a friend, maybe it was their first time to go to that friend's house. A tragic incident indeed.

And yes you are right that in the Philippines, you just cannot shoot an intruder, armed or unarmed, unless your life is in grave danger because only then can you invoke self defense. Methinks our laws regarding self defense are heavily skewed in favor of the bad guys (not a lawyer too, but maybe some lawyers here can elaborate). And believe me, it's just too much hassle to go to court with these bad guys. I should know, my house was burglarized and I filed a theft case against the thief (thru lucky breaks, we were able to id, catch him and recovered the items stolen) who the police confirmed victimized more than 5 households. Some victims filed cases against him but the cases were dismissed because of lapses by the police or because some victims lost interest. Some did not bother. This April will mark the 3rd anniversary of the burglary and our case is still on-going, the defense is yet to present their witnesses. And no, I did not beat him up when he was brought to me, hehe ... maybe I will if he gets acquitted ...Sorry for the OT...

Comment

Working...
      X