A couple of weeks now without SatNav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of weeks now without SatNav

Just having a "How could I have lived without GPS?" moment as I've been in the dark since late September.

Anyway, something happened to my SatNav (Kenwood DDX8034BT + KNA-G431) as it will now barely pick up a signal (1 or 2 weak signals), much less lock-on my location. I suspect that the active antenna (an LNA, as I eventually discovered) may be the culprit. I already ordered a replacement online but it will take at least 3-4 weeks to get here.

I hope the LNA is the only problem and not the GPS module itself.... Replacing the former is infinitely cheaper.

Now, if someone with a similar nav setup could lend me their LNA for testing, that would be swell!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Finally... Out of the dark and back on track! Replacement antenna arrived today.

I never realized that these things break. Probably due to it sitting on the dashboard and baking in the sun for the past 3 years. But it is comforting to know that they're very cheap enough to replace. Bought this for about $12 on eBay, including shipping.

My dad's AVT nav in his Tucson is also acting up (weak signal reception and takes ages to lock). I wonder if it's also an antenna problem.

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
      Finally... Out of the dark and back on track! Replacement antenna arrived today.

I never realized that these things break. Probably due to it sitting on the dashboard and baking in the sun for the past 3 years. But it is comforting to know that they're very cheap enough to replace. Bought this for about $12 on eBay, including shipping.

My dad's AVT nav in his Tucson is also acting up (weak signal reception and takes ages to lock). I wonder if it's also an antenna problem.
      hello bro,
      how is the reception of your new antenna? is it the original one or just a replacement? would you mind sharing which ebay trader you bought the antenna? mine happens to have been pulled my mouse into the car's aircondition fan and it is all broken. it is just about a month old on the dashboard.
      thanks,
      ░░ N70º 14.821 E22º 20.847 ░░

Comment

Ooooohhh... That's sad. If you still have enough of the old antenna and cable and likewise handy with a soldering iron, aluminum foil and shrink tubes, you may still be able to repair it.

Anyway, I got my stuff from http://stores.ebay.ph/rfsupplier. Just check out their store for GPS antennas specific for your unit. It's a replacement antenna. Signal reception appears excellent and I got a lock a minute I drove out of the basement parking. (considering that it has been disconnected for at least a couple of months now)

A Kenwood/Garmin OEM antenna costs 3x more.

A few tips:

1. If you have an active antenna, it will be powered up by a DC voltage coming from your GPS. Typically, this voltage is anywhere between 3-5V DC.
        2. Order the correct length of cable
        3. Order the correct antenna connector

For example, in my case:

1. I measured 3V DC coming out of my Garmin GPS module (connected a voltmeter across the inner and outer conductor)
        2. I ordered a unit with 5 meters of cable as my GPS module is mounted under the front passenger-side seat and I have to route it to the front dashboard (I just really needed 3 meters but I got a longer one as it costs the same)
        3. The square connector on mine is what's known as the GT5-1S connector. There are plenty other variants so be careful what you choose

Take a picture of your antenna connector from a couple of angles and I'll help you identify it. Stating the model of your receiver might also help.

Here's a comparison of the two antennas: (Left: Replacement; Right: Kenwood/Garmin OEM)

Comment

thanks for the reply bro.
          the antenna is beyond repair because the cable was cut all the way to the base of the antenna receiver (the square, mouse-looking thing on the antenna itself and the whole length of the cable got entangled on the blade of the aircondition fan. the installer tried to pry the receiver open but it is so hard to get it opened hoping we could solder a new coax wire on it but we were just unable to. i have the dnx 4210bt model. i will try to get a replacement antenna for it.
          ░░ N70º 14.821 E22º 20.847 ░░

Comment

Working...
          X