Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring tracks to a new GPS?

Hi,

I've had a string of bad luck over the past few months with my GPS unit. The 1st unit I had (eTrex Vista HCX) shorted when I plugged it into the cigarette lighter (I thought it was just due to overuse). I have been using my Vista HCX for more than a year already. I eventually ordered a new one (eTrex20) and was able to use it for a few weeks and was surprised when it shorted out (after a few weeks use). This time I learned by now that both units shorted out because of the cigarette lighter power supply. I had to buy another unit (best buy honored my replacement and gave me credits to be able to buy a new one). This time I had no choice but to get the higher model (eTrex30) since they already ran out of eTrex20's.

My questions are:
    1. Can I still save the tracks captured by my older units (eTrex Vista, eTrex20) and load it to my new unit?
    2. I used the same SD card across the 3 units but I'm not sure if I should format the SD card (which brings me to the 3rd question)....
    3. Do I need to format the SD card? How do i format it? I can't seem to find any utility within the GPS device.
    4. While waiting for the unlock code for the latest contributor's map (hopefully the Judge will still give me an unlock code), I tried loading the 1.07 map into the new eTrex30 but it doesn't seem to load. I am guessing I might have forgotten how to load the basic map (1.07). I'm using mapsource so based on my understanding I should just select the 1.07 mapset (upper left), then highlight all the map names on the left window and transfer maps to the gps unit right?

Thanks for your help....

Hi kos. To answer your questions:

1. Can I still save the tracks captured by my older units (eTrex Vista, eTrex20) and load it to my new unit?
    ...only if you were able to extract the tracks you saved or if they were saved/archived into the SD card by your older units. If yes, then all you need to do is open those tracks in mapsource/s. You can open several instances of mapsource and cut/copy/paste to the mapsource file that consolidates the tracks for uploading/sending to your new unit.

2. I used the same SD card across the 3 units but I'm not sure if I should format the SD card (which brings me to the 3rd question)....
    ...no need as long as the SD card is not corrupted and can be read by your PC using a card reader.

3. Do I need to format the SD card? How do i format it? I can't seem to find any utility within the GPS device.

...see answer no. 2. If you want to reformat, use your PC. I think your GPS device does not have that capability.

4. While waiting for the unlock code for the latest contributor's map (hopefully the Judge will still give me an unlock code), I tried loading the 1.07 map into the new eTrex30 but it doesn't seem to load. I am guessing I might have forgotten how to load the basic map (1.07). I'm using mapsource so based on my understanding I should just select the 1.07 mapset (upper left), then highlight all the map names on the left window and transfer maps to the gps unit right?
    ...yes, but after selecting the 1.07 mapset, use the Map Tool to select the map tiles that you want to upload to your GPS (selected map tiles will be highlighted). The selected map tiles would then appear on the left window under the Maps tab, ready to be uploaded to your GPS.

HTH...

Comment

Thanks Borgie!

1. That's the problem, the older unit I was using had a damaged usb interface. Whenever I plugged in the usb cable, the GPS unit would die out. I tried to transfer the files by reading the SD card but it seems mapsource had trouble recognizing the sd card.

2. I didn't have to reformat anymore and was able to use the sd card on the new unit.

3. I haven't really heard from the Judge. I hope my message got through. I can't wait to load up the GPS unit with the contributor map.

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
      Hi kos. To answer your questions:

...only if you were able to extract the tracks you saved or if they were saved/archived into the SD card by your older units. If yes, then all you need to do is open those tracks in mapsource/s. You can open several instances of mapsource and cut/copy/paste to the mapsource file that consolidates the tracks for uploading/sending to your new unit.

...no need as long as the SD card is not corrupted and can be read by your PC using a card reader.

...see answer no. 2. If you want to reformat, use your PC. I think your GPS device does not have that capability.

...yes, but after selecting the 1.07 mapset, use the Map Tool to select the map tiles that you want to upload to your GPS (selected map tiles will be highlighted). The selected map tiles would then appear on the left window under the Maps tab, ready to be uploaded to your GPS.

HTH...

Comment

1. That's the problem, the older unit I was using had a damaged usb interface. Whenever I plugged in the usb cable, the GPS unit would die out. I tried to transfer the files by reading the SD card but it seems mapsource had trouble recognizing the sd card.
        ...can your PC read your SD card? If yes just transfer the contents to your PC and in mapsource access the .gpx files from there.

2. I didn't have to reformat anymore and was able to use the sd card on the new unit.
        ...tip: do not put any other file except for .img and .gpx in that SD card. I've noticed in my 60CSx that if there are other files other than those that can be read by the GPS, the unit hangs and the battery needs to be removed to restart it.

3. I haven't really heard from the Judge. I hope my message got through. I can't wait to load up the GPS unit with the contributor map.
        ...try PM the Judge again to be sure

HTH

Comment

Working...
        X