The Golf Course (18-HOLE-poi's) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Golf Course (18-HOLE-poi's) Thread

after learning how to play golf, my colleagues have jokingly told me i have an unfair advantage -- that i would use daw my GPS to plot my approach to the green.

of course thats not true. there aint any GPS guide for golf and accurate waypoints for each hole.

but, not for long.

I'm gonna map out Tagaytay Highlands this coming Nov 14. and save POI's for each hole. Let's see if it'll help other golfers that would come after me. at the very least, a more accurate measure of distance would aide in the proper selection of clubs.

18 - hole - POI

Ei how did this work out? Any results?

I'm playing at southwoods this saturday i would like to map it out too will post POI's after my game.

Comment

18 Hole POIs

Sounds like fun. Just bought a 62st which should give accurate enough locations. Will try to start doing this at Baguio Country Club and Camp John Hay. I think need to start by plotting center of green on each hole. We can also put the bunkers in the maps as polygons.

Garmin do a specific product for this called Approach but (of course) only maps available for courses in USA and Europe. Be good to find out in detail the features on the Garmin program

Comment

Golf Course

We need some guidance as to how to label the holes and what symbol to use. I would suggest a red flag and for example BCC (Baguio Country Club ) 1st Hole. If the project picks up, we can put in the greens and the bunkers as polygons. To make the greens show up, we cannot label them as golf course - would city park be OK? Not sure what to do for the bunkers. I will seek some guidance from the BIG guys.

Comment

as for polygons, its fairly easy to add polys for greens and bunkers, but yes the problem is its category. it cant be classified as city park as these categories acts as filters. that is also true for poi's, poi category should be specific so that searching will not yield confusing results.
          FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Baguio Country Club

Just for fun, I recorded the "centre of green" position for all 18 holes. Copy of file is attached. I have found that I can transfer to my 62st by saving it as a GPS eXchange file and then placing in the GPX folder. They then pop up on the map no problem. Not used yet to see if I can lower my score!
            I will post this on the waypoints thread by the "powers that be" may think not really applicable as it is after all a road map we are compiling. However I would argue that what we are doing is for fun and this is fun!
            If it is decided not to include on the map and you want the file, send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will forward the file to you.
            Obviously I can map the greens, bunkers and fairways as polygons and I may do that for fun but again it may be decided that it not appropriate for the roadmap. However if there are some of us interested, we may be able to swop mini golf course maps.

Just noticed that you can open file directly from this thread. so enjoy
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JDCOOPERPH; 08-14-2010, 14:28. Reason: additional comment

Comment

nice one sir JDCOOPER

OT: actually planning to go to baguio one of these day. how about a round of golf? i just hope that you're not a single handicapper and you'll be whopping my ... hehehe
              Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
              - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Baguio Golf

No fear - I am 26 handicapper - in other words quite useless but pleased to give you a game if you get to Baguio.

Comment

Hi guys, Kuya Reiji pointed me to this thread as I just posted a similar thread today. Actually there is a device apparently being sold specifically for this purpose, but why buy that device when we have our GPS units already right?

Now the question is:

1. Will the admins allow these POIs to be in our contributor's map? Or to lessen the clutter, maybe we can ask for a separate "golfer's map" or even just us sharing GPX files here?

2. I mentioned in my post that we probably would want to use a routing system for each hole, so you don't have to find the next hole manually. Frankly I have not yet really uploaded any self made routes through mapsource into my Garmin so please let me know if that will work.

3. I do not think that knowing "exactly" how far the hole is, will actually improve one's game. Even if Tiger woods know that the hole is actually 101.5 feet away, he really can't choose a club and a swing height etc. to get exactly 101.5 right? Too many factors, unless you are a terminator! So at the end it still boils down to combination of skill and luck.

JD already started the ball rolling with his BCC gpx, Tantan, were you able to do the Highland courses? can you share your gpx?

Me? Don't hold your breath, best I can do is hand my GPS to my Uncle and have him enter the WP for wackwack and other courses he plays on

4. I agree with JD, best way is center of the green, the hole is moved from time to time by the course manager, but then so does the GPS accuracy

5. Lastly in my opinion putting the golf course holes in our contributor's map might not be the best option, because I just imagine that if we named the POIs like Baguio Country club Hole no. 1 East course then if we use the search function on our GPS for Baguio country club because you are a tourist and you want to go there, you will be given 19 POI hits options to choose from. 18 holes plus the correct POI you are looking for.

So maybe we can come up with our own golfer's map or just share the GPX WPs as a freely downloadable file for everyone?

or how about include it in the future "free RG map"?

TTFN
                  arvin

Comment

1. separate "golfer's map" or even just us sharing GPX files here

2. depends on gps if it will take uploaded routes. else setup routing to offrd

3. its a gadget... since when do we need valid reasons for gadgets?

5.correct.
                    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

garmin approach G5, G3 for golf
                      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

I have used my 62st a couple of times going around Baguio Country Club. Was fun to check if the caddies were accurate in their estimate of how far away the hole was. Unfortunately they were nearly always right! So I lost interest a bit. Would be useful though on a course where you did not have to have a caddy. Didn't seem to stop me hitting bad shots. By labelling the holes BCC 1 etc., if you do a search for Baguio Country Club, they do not come up. They do not even come up when you do a find on BCC. Not sure how our clever gurus have done that. So it really does not clutter the map. Garmin do a product just for this application but only loaded with USA and Europe course. Not sure if it is legal but what is the difference to a caddy having distances written down in a book which all the pros use?

Comment

Originally posted by JDCOOPERPH View Post
                          I have used my 62st a couple of times going around Baguio Country Club. Was fun to check if the caddies were accurate in their estimate of how far away the hole was. Unfortunately they were nearly always right! So I lost interest a bit. Would be useful though on a course where you did not have to have a caddy. Didn't seem to stop me hitting bad shots. By labelling the holes BCC 1 etc., if you do a search for Baguio Country Club, they do not come up. They do not even come up when you do a find on BCC. Not sure how our clever gurus have done that. So it really does not clutter the map. Garmin do a product just for this application but only loaded with USA and Europe course. Not sure if it is legal but what is the difference to a caddy having distances written down in a book which all the pros use?
                          do you want it to appear when searched for BCC but won't appear if searched for nearest golf course?

Comment

Wow nice find HBT, so they do actually count the number of strokes and putts, though I imagine you will need to manually touch the screen or something for the input, can't imagine how they do it otherwise. The G5 looks like an Oregon that was only set up for a specific purpose.

Kuya Doki and JD,

I think that Kuya Jan agreed that we do not want to clutter our current contributor's map with 18 holes POI x number of golf courses in the Philippines, more of course as there are some 27 hole and 36 hole courses too!

Hows about we collect all the data and just put them somewhere in the forum and maybe if we have enough, we can ask the Gurus to make a special golfer's map? Sorry actually I'm all talk here, but as I mentioned I seldom get to go golfing, but if I do I will surely bring my GPS and save WPs. Then again we can do also the GE approach. Maybe we can also save WPs for the clubhouse and the Tee houses too if you like.

Then we can compile polys for sand traps and waterhazards

You guys okay to post the GPX here? Or maybe in the Contributor's area? The difference is if we want the data to be publicly accessible or not.

TTFN
                            Arvin

Comment

Hi arvin. The way Doki has put the holes on Baguio Country Club on the map, I think is very good. They are red flags and do not come up when you do a search - so they do not clutter the map. I see no reason why we cannot do this for all golf courses on the Philippines. If we do polygons of fairways and bunkers, we need some instruction as to how to classify them when we submit them.

Comment

Working...
                              X