Travel advisory while carrying a GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel advisory while carrying a GPS

Travel advisory while carrying and using a GPS receiver. This may be applicable even in other countries. This is based on my experiences.

1. Before going to an unfamiliar place, know the current events and news on the region/location you plan on traversing.

2. Insurgence in the area might be perilous if you're seen with a GPSr and pushing buttons(marking way-points) specially in areas like military base, known influenced barangays/community, or some kind of security perimeters and installations. Using gps equipped mobile phones Might conceal what you are doing but still pretty risky.

3. If you stopped in front of an establishment with security guards and cctv while on a vehicle/motorcycle/etc., with helmet on or any kind of obstruction that may look like you're hiding or concealing your identity, and try pushing buttons on the gps, you might look suspicious to others and may think you're communicating with someone and informing someone using a phone or communication device to carry out something God knows what, hehehe. Your gps might look like a radio transceiver for ignorant people.

4. Civilian GPS receivers are accurate and sensitive enough that it may pose a security risk to any organization if in the wrong hands.

Sana meron tayong IDs and stickers, and sana ma-feature man lang itong project natin para sa bayan sa mga TV programs para ma-inform naman ang public.(Translation: Hoping that we could have IDs and stickers, and wishing that this joint project be featured in TV programs so the public is informed of our joint project.) GPS are useful specially in rescue operations, etc.

Last edited by luciferlove; 01-28-2010, 11:52.

Originally posted by luciferlove View Post
    Travel advisory while carrying and using a GPS receiver. This may be applicable even in other countries. This is based on my experiences.

1. Before going to an unfamiliar place, know the current events and news on the region/location you plan on traversing.

2. Insurgence in the area might be perilous if you're seen with a GPSr and pushing buttons(marking way-points) specially in areas like military base, known influenced barangays/community, or some kind of security perimeters and installations. Using gps equipped mobile phones Might conceal what you are doing but still pretty risky.

3. If you stopped in front of an establishment with security guards and cctv while on a vehicle/motorcycle/etc., with helmet on or any kind of obstruction that may look like you're hiding or concealing your identity, and try pushing buttons on the gps, you might look suspicious to others and may think you're communicating with someone and informing someone using a phone or communication device to carry out something God knows what, hehehe. Your gps might look like a radio transceiver for ignorant people.

4. Civilian GPS receivers are accurate and sensitive enough that it may pose a security risk to any organization if in the wrong hands.

Sana meron tayong IDs and stickers, and sana ma-feature man lang itong project natin para sa bayan sa mga TV programs para ma-inform naman ang public. GPS are useful specially in the rescue operation, etc.

hi there,

with regards to stickers, we do have them. http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1224
    and if possible that you'll be in manila. we'll try to organize an EB and you can have it for free.
    next, if possible put a english translation to your tagalog post or better post it in english. we dont want to alienate our foreign members and the foreigner who visits our site.

thanks and God Bless
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Post edited and translation inserted. Thanks for the reminder. I do hope whenever there's an EB, I'll be able to attend. I'm based here in Southern Quezon Province, but from time to time, returns to manila for business purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by luciferlove View Post
        Post edited and translation inserted. Thanks for the reminder. I do hope whenever there's an EB, I'll be able to attend. I'm based here in Southern Quezon Province, but from time to time, returns to manila for business purposes.
        you can sched your manila trip at end of the month, thats the time we normally set EBs. or whenever youre going just give us a buzz, master hbt can call a special EB for you.
        FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
          you can sched your manila trip at end of the month, thats the time we normally set EBs. or whenever youre going just give us a buzz, master hbt can call a special EB for you.
          Thanks for the invitation, I'll take note of it. VIP treatment hehehe. See you sometime soon pals.

Comment

I would like to add to the tips:

1. GPS does not always know the road conditions, ask the locals before turning off from a highway... had to learn this the hard way :-)
            Sample of this is when you autoroute from Cagayan De Oro to Davao - it will correctly highlight the BUDA Hiway but will pass through BUSCO which is a lot shorter but horribly bad roads - take the right fork instead and hook back left toward Quezon after the lake.

On the insurgency note I HEAR YA! I bravely followed my GPS to the ends of MATI around the baragay TAMISAN and rode all the way to a big meeting with the banner "MNLF MILITARY ORIENTATION" the BAF guys seemed friendly enough but I mosey'd out of the area doing 90kph on rough roads getting back to civilization hehe...

Take care out there guys! and Enjoy!
            http://davao-uas.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tjader View Post
              I would like to add to the tips:

1. GPS does not always know the road conditions, ask the locals before turning off from a highway... had to learn this the hard way :-)
              Sample of this is when you autoroute from Cagayan De Oro to Davao - it will correctly highlight the BUDA Hiway but will pass through BUSCO which is a lot shorter but horribly bad roads - take the right fork instead and hook back left toward Quezon after the lake.

On the insurgency note I HEAR YA! I bravely followed my GPS to the ends of MATI around the baragay TAMISAN and rode all the way to a big meeting with the banner "MNLF MILITARY ORIENTATION" the BAF guys seemed friendly enough but I mosey'd out of the area doing 90kph on rough roads getting back to civilization hehe...

Take care out there guys! and Enjoy!
              1. Post correction
              2. Tracks?
              How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                1. Post correction
                2. Tracks?
                Posted with some waypoints in the down-Up section.

I will be in Dumaguete on the 7th March; any chance you'd be available for coffee or beer?

Is the Antulang Resort there worth the trip?

What resort/hotel there could accommodate 50 MC Riders?
                http://davao-uas.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tjader View Post
                  Posted with some waypoints in the down-Up section.

I will be in Dumaguete on the 7th March; any chance you'd be available for coffee or beer?

Is the Antulang Resort there worth the trip?

What resort/hotel there could accommodate 50 MC Riders?
                  I might be out of the country. Not confirmed yet. For accomodations, pm doglegdon here he might be able to help you further.

Antulang? Deep pockets needed. Not worth it anyways. There's much better around.
                  How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

i am not sure if this is allowed but when i travel by air, i usually get a window seat, then i power up my gps before takeoff and monitor the plane speed, altitude and route the whole time. it was a blast seeing the map, the stats and directional arrow. this was during the pre 9-11 times

is this allowed now? i have not really tried it again. just got lazy, perhaps

Comment

Originally posted by iceColdgin View Post
                      i am not sure if this is allowed but when i travel by air, i usually get a window seat, then i power up my gps before takeoff and monitor the plane speed, altitude and route the whole time. it was a blast seeing the map, the stats and directional arrow. this was during the pre 9-11 times

is this allowed now? i have not really tried it again. just got lazy, perhaps

i guess this is permitted only after take off when you can turn on electronic devices after the fasten seatbelt light has been turned off... i tried recording tracks on our way to Singapore and vice versa... the FA even saw my gps but didn't call my attention... but kinda got bored and lazy during the whole 3 and a half hours flight that's why i turned it off.

Comment

Working...
                      X