new route to sagada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new route to sagada

For those wanting to go off the beaten tracks without much effort to sagada may I suggest the following route:

1. Take the manila-tagudin -cervantes (Ilocos sur)- mankayan road up to abatan Bugias (Mt. Province), and then take the normal halsema highway route to sagada. This will effectively Bypass baguio and la trinidad daytime traffic hassles (which is getting worse and worse). The road from tagudin to cervantes to mankayan and up to abatan , bugias are already cemented. If you want to go to the highest road, its just less than 20 kms doubling back on the halsema highway after abatan.

The zigzag mountain road from suyo (after tagudin)to cervantes crossing the bessang pass is one fine and beautiful road and was amazed at how they were able to do it. I think its one the most virgin zigzag road in the country today. Not much road cuts, pavement cracks , landslide areas yet , and also very few traffic and very few houses as you go up. As you near the top of the mountain (bessang pass), the air gets cooler and the thin forest on the western side changes into thick pine forest as you reach the top. Then its colder than baguio if you are not standing under the sun.

What usually took a 4-5 hr trip to cervantes from tagudin is now less than 2 hrs.

The Cervantes- mankayan road meander along the abra river and i suspect the source of the abra river is just nearby the area.

2. the second option is a road trekkers delight. After cervantes , cross the abra river (the river crossing was knee deep last december, but by summer it will be considerably lower), then take the left fork up meandering up to the towns of tadian, bauko and sabangan where it joins the halsema highway very near the the junction going up to sagada. the road just after crossing the river is already being widened but still is a mud-dirt road but as you go higher, then the road becomes an all weather road with traces of asphalt and concrete up to Bauko, where afterwards it becomes a normal potholed road up to the halsema highway. Not much signboard, but just follow the traces of the main road and it will lead you to the halsema highway. We only needed the 4wheel drive low mode when we were crossing the river. the rest can be taken by any high clearance vehicle with out 4x4.

Hurry before it deteriorates!!!

bong

HI Bong, Thanks for this. I was planning to take the family to Sagada this summer. Is your first option passable by minivans/cars? I believe that the Baguio route is really bad with lots of road cuts at times needing high clearance vehicles (SUVs)

Comment

Hi,

If you take the cervantes/mankayan route, then cars will be ok. Even before the concreting of the tagudin cervantes road, passenger vans were plying the route already. Im not sure though about the road condition to sagada from halsema junction.

bong

Comment

thanks for this.

Comment

THANKS!! Hopefully we can make this trip this summer

Comment

More info Please

This is some great info.

Please can you advise on the travel times to get from Tagudin to Sagada via this route.

Also is there any public transport servicing this route?

I'm planning on going to Sagada after San Fernando and don't want to loop back vias Baguio.

Thanks

Comment

from san fernando lu to tagudin junction of the north road, (the junction is after the eateries after the town proper) its less than 1 hr. Junction tagudin to cervantes is about 2 hrs and then cervantes to abatan buguias is less than an hour. This is by private vehicle. then from abatan junction sagada will be about 3 hrs or less. Iam not familiar with public transpo though, with regards schedule of trips.

bong

Comment

Has anyone have an update on this route? Are roads good? passable by vans or cars?

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Is this the route? Thanx for the cervantes-buguias info, i didn't push through last time because there are lots of falling debris. Hmm.... any idea about passing through the towns of tadian and bauko? anyway, thanx again.
                    Attached Files

Comment

With the updated roadguide map installed Garmin we trekked the northern area. I took this route due to this thread. Roads were better than I expected. Lots of road work happening but no need to do 4x4
                      Thanks to the TS.
                      I suggest you guys try this route too.

We did a QC -La Union - Ilocos - Sagada (via cervantes) - Banaue- QC trip and roadguide was such a BIG help!

Comment

Sagada

Also planning a trip to Sagada in the near future.
                        Is the route car friendly?
                        Can you share the tracks? do you still have it?

TIA

Comment

With the way road works are going on - give it a few months and all roads will be car friendly. One problem with the roads is the landslide issue. I was pretty impressed with the work being done in the area - progress in work
                          Sorry I wasn't able to take tracks - it was kinda hard driving and checking out the garmin. BUT I submitted a correction to show that the road from cervantes is paved already. I used my garmin and verified by asking around the way to sagada to make sure - I have to say the Garmin was spot on I would say around 97%

Comment

Thanks for the info Bong! I'm planning to go to Sagada this year with my family.

Carlson

Travel with Google

Comment

thanks for the info

we tried the tagudin-sagada route via bessang pass (cervantes) and I was impressed with the concrete road, only few ongoing roadworks, as of May 25, 2013, the route is passable by cars, just make sure your car is in top running condition, the route is around 100+ km of non stop zigzag road with stiff climb, it take us around 4 hours to traverse the mountains with our delica van. just follow the main road and you will not get lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X