Sharing my recent solo ride : Manila - Negros Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing my recent solo ride : Manila - Negros Island

Last week I decided to do a solo trip from Manila going down to Negros Island where my roots are. Thanks to RG contributor's map. It was really awesome and I was never lost even for a little bit

Here are some pictures and write ups I wanna share.

Left home 3:13AM. Reset odo to 0.0, GPS to 0.0, 101.9kms is distance from my home to Batangas port. Gassed up and checked tire pressure at Shell Magallanes then left Manila 3:30AM.

Arrived at Batangas port 4:51AM, paid PPA fee of P65, then Starlight Ferry for only P600. Roro boarding process in Batangas is quite lax. No HPG, Coast Guard clearance whatsoever.

Boat left around 5:10AM. Very few passengers. Had coffee, and was curious as to what speed the ferry is, so I opened the GPS and checked. It is running at 20kmh. 44.4km is from where I am up to Calapan port.

And I am somewhere here.

Leaving the Port of Batangas

Cant sleep so went down to check. Lone bike tsk tsk..

Arrived Calapan around 7AM. And now about to get off

Comment

Arrived at Calapan then breakfast muna sa Jollibee. This is a trick you may want to try. Hot peach mango pie ng Jollibee, then top it with sundae. Sarap na dessert =)

Took off immediately after eating. When I reached the town of Naujan after 15mins or so, I saw a line of bibinka sellers by the road. So I stopped for another food tripping.

10 peso bibinka with free salabat.. ang sarap!!

Si ate

Comment

After about 2hours, arrived at Roxas port in Mindoro. The road from Calapan to Roxas was really good with the exception of alot of dogs and chickens littered the streets. So you cant really go fast. Cruising lang at about 80-90kmh

At Roxas port : Paid toll fee of P20, PPA of P65, HPG and Coast Guard clearance (free na to) then roro fare of P1472. Took the 12noon Montenegro.

After a few mins, my new dream bike arrived. A 2012 Kawa Versys. This was owned by a German businessman and he was riding with his Filipina wife. They were really friendly.

Km reading from Manila to Roxas, Mindoro : 226.6kms with an almost empty gas tank. Left Makati with a full tank. Just running well above 21kms / liter

Again with a very few passengers

Comment

At 12noon, we left the port of Roxas for Caticlan

After a few hours, I could already see Boracay. So near, yet so far. Too bad I cant take my bike to the island. And I am not comfortable leaving it in Caticlan.

This is the sad part. When we arrived at Caticlan port, we were not able to dock immediately as there was another ferry docked, unloading and loading stuff. So we had to wait almost 3 grueling, boring hours until it was our time to dock. Later I found out that one of the piers was damaged by a ferry when it was moored during a typhoon.

So for those taking this route, goodluck and prepare yourself to wait. I dont know when they would be able to finish the pier.

Comment

Finally touched down at Caticlan and it was almost 7PM. Pfftt.. I was planning to spend the night in Kalibo, but since it was already dark and raining, I decided to stay in Caticlan. Found this nice hotel. P500 fan room.

Name of the place is Airport Lodge. And this is located just beside the airport. Just ask the guards at the airport and they will gladly take you there. They have AC rooms for P1k

After settling, went to look for something to eat but the choices in Caticlan was very limited, so I ended up eating at Yoohoo. After eating, went back to the lodge and slept.

Morning after....

5:30AM - Prepared to leave for Dumangas. I decided that I will just have my bfast at Kalibo

Comment

Paid the lodge and ready to leave

As you see, the lodge is just right beside the runway

Contact info

Km reading before leaving Caticlan

Comment

Grabe!! Twisties from Caticlan to Kalibo are really awesome. Sorry didnt have some pics cause I was very preoccupied

Caticlan to Kalibo which is 67kms, got there in about 50mins. Di pa din ako gutom and pagod, it's prolly the adrenalin from the twisties, so continue pa din until I got hungry. I dont know where this is, I didnt bother check the GPS pero the food is really great and cheap. Paid P60

At about 10:30AM, arrived at the port of Dumangas

Processed Coast Guard clearance, PPA P65, Roro P340+

Then at 12noon, ferry left for Bacolod

After 2hours, touchdown in Negros Island.

Comment

To continue my journey. So I reached Negros Island to spend time with my family and to also do some side trip. So one morning I decided to go check out San Carlos City via Don Salvador Benedicto.

Roads are really great. Except you cant really go fast on corners are there are alot of construction going on thus alot of sand and gravel on the pavement. But nevertheless, it was an awesome experience and ride.

Km reading when I left home. This is from Manila to my home town. 493kms

Took off 630AM

At Murcia. That is the mountain that I am going to ride.

Who says rice terraces can only be found in Banawe?

Even the lions head can be found here, not only in Baguio. Smaller version though.

Comment

Really good road.

Rice Terraces upclose.

Overlooking Tanon Strait, San Carlos City and Island of Cebu

One wrong move and your a goner in this ravine.

Comment

Now I have reached San Carlos City. Now at the city port and in about 20mins a ferry will leave for Toledo. Oh how I wish I could continue on riding.

One of the reasons I didn't continue riding is because when I finish it in one go, there might not be anything to look forward to next time I ride the Visayas. So hangang dito lang muna, plus need to spend sometime with my family.

After reaching San Carlos, I went back and stopped at this mountain resort for a little R&R. Its called La Vista Highland Resort

Angus burger, fries and onion rings with mango shake

Chocolate hills can also found in this place. Just awesome!!

Comment

After San Carlos, went home and then even visited my alma mater

Comment

During my ride in Negros, I happen to bump with an old buddy whom I met about 5days ago in the Island of Mindoro. The guy in Kawa Versys. Plus we met another solo rider in KTM 950 Supermoto.

I started with a solo road trip and ended up with the 3 of us.

One of the best food in Bacolod. Sharyn's Cansi!!!! Kanamit gid!!! (really delicious)

Ending our journey at Pier 2 in Manila via M/V St. Joseph the Worker.

Hope you enjoy!!!! Till my next trip again!!

Comment

wow, nice trip. my bro and i are planning to ride this coming summer. thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very nice riding traVEL journaL sir , i felt hungry when the bulalo part comes in..wheeew looks yummy.

Comment

Working...
                              X