Bad Roads to avoid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Roads to avoid!

I know the Philippines isn't the most blessed when it comes to our road network so I'll start this thread to give a heads-up to those using them.

Using the latest map (1.06 as of this writing), if you ask your GPS to determine the route to Naga all the way to Sorsogon, it will tell you to take the Provincial Road (actually it's called Rolando Andaya Sr Highway).

It's the WORST highway in the world IMHO and there is a real risk you can damage your vehicle if you're not careful.

That stretch is currently going extensive repairs. There's a LOT of sections with deep potholes in the middle (I'm guessing substandard construction materials were used) and there are lots of areas where you will have to stop and wait for opposite lanes to counterflow to pass.

It's also littered with small children begging for a handout.

I had to travel it in pelting rain and I was lucky my vehicle was better built to handle it. If I was using a standard 4 door sedan, I'm pretty certain the potholes which I hit accidentally would have caused damage to the car.

Here's the road I am referring to;

The other route (via Daet) is longer but you will be a lot safer using it.

Be Safe.

I agree that route is littered with road construction. I passed there last March on a road bike in torrential rain. I couldn't see 20 feet in front of me which made seeing the road construction nearly impossible.

So I took the Daet route on the way home and that Bituka ng Manok is a bikers dream.

here's a picture courtesy of a friend of mine

But be warned that half way thru there are about 5 bridges under repair where you have to go to it's side on some dirt road to bypass it. So it's not an easy route either.

I hope it get's fixed soon cuz I'm dying to go back to Bicol.

Comment

why dont we remove it from the 1.07 initially while its still in that state and just put it back when its repaired?

Comment

Originally posted by nandyg1 View Post
        why dont we remove it from the 1.07 initially while its still in that state and just put it back when its repaired?
        not a good idea sir some people still prefers to use shortest distance regardless of its condition and there might be waypoints covering that area and some travelers may have POI that covers that example of personal poi (resthouse,farm,friends,bahay ni girlfriend #6 or camp of NPA (lolz) and the only way to access them is to use that track just use this thread to gather info you can use mapsouce for the meantime and create wp on both end of that track use proximity alert to remind you that this road is not suitable for you
        Last edited by sinned; 06-04-2009, 21:26.

Comment

Originally posted by nandyg1 View Post
          hell, we'd have to remove half of the roads if we cant have potholes
          How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
            hahahahaha

Comment

Just heard that some part of Phil Nautical HIway in Oriental Mindoro is full of deep pot holes but currently under repair. It's an alternative route from Manila to Boracay and sorrounding provinces.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                i encountered the same on my way to Vigan, Ilcos Sur. I posted them already, including the strt and end points of the road construction, if we all mark them as such and d/l them on our GPS units we'd be helping this community a lot.
                Semper Fi

Comment

the road could be listed as a dirt road momentarily for 1.07 until it gets finished. just like the one that i passed on the way to sagada, the road in nueva ecija that looks like a shortcut in the gps map (but this one is actually a combination of dirt and cement but small roads)

Comment

Hello guys...

Thanks for that great tip.. that was i think one thing that we
                    should be doing whenever were traveling.. and that is to consider
                    safety as always...!

Comment

Originally posted by invidly09
                      I am sure there should be a story behind the saying: "All roads lead to Rome"

What is it?
                      back in the time of the roman empire, all roads did lead to rome...

http://library.thinkquest.org/13406/rr/
                      GMail behind a proxy [gmlclnt.tk]

Comment

To add to this. Just yesterday I was at Lemery Batangas and was a little adventurous going back to Manila. So I took the Agoncillo-Laurel-Talisay-Tagaytay route.

Agoncillo to Laurel is just so bad!! There are no potholes whatsoever because the whole road is a hole. (muddy, dusty, sandy.. bike would fishtail most of the time.)

Comment

Roads via Rolando Andaya Highway is better now than before. i just passed there last may 2010. was surprised with the big changes. but there are still some areas that have the pot holes and some uneven areas.
                          But you still have to be careful though. I suggest not to pass there at night time if you are not familiar with the place.
                          Last edited by doki; 07-12-2010, 12:18.

Comment

Originally posted by doki View Post
                            Roads via Rolando Andaya Highway is better now than before. i just passed there last may 2010. was surprised the big changes. but there are still some areas that have the pot holes and some uneven areas.
                            But you still have to be careful though. I suggest not to pass there at night time if you are not familiar with the place.
                            They have to repair in preparation also for the Penafrancia Fiesta this coming September as this would be a big event (300 years celebration)otherwise it will talk of the town for the Bicolano motorist

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
                              They have to repair in preparation also for the Penafrancia Fiesta this coming September as this would be a big event (300 years celebration)otherwise it will talk of the town for the Bicolano motorist
                              hmmmm. looks like a good time for a bicol EB on Peñafrancia. hopefully somebody from naga is willing to be the host, playboy Reiji perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X