Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so sorry to disturb. I would just like some clarification before I put the Philippine map on my Garmin.

I have a Nuvi 255W. While I am based in the Philippines, I bought it in the US (with pre-installed US map) earlier this year and use it considerably when I'm there, and it has been tremendously helpful. Needless to say, I need the US map in my Nuvi for future trips.

On the other hand, I would like to make the most use of my device. So, I'd like to download roadguide.ph's Philippine map. I have gone through all the motions of downloading Garmin's Training Center, MapSource, and the jklinc map. The only thing left to do is to open MapSource and install the Philippine map in my Garmin.

But I hesitate because of some questions.

1. If I install the Philippine map on my Nuvi 255W, will my US map be erased? Or will both maps be accessible in the Nuvi?
    2. As an alternative, can I not install the Philippine map on an SD card? If so, how would I be able to do it?
    3. If it is possible to have both the US map and the Philippine map in the Garmin, is it advisable to keep both in the unit? Or is it better to keep the Philippine map in the SD card?

I'm raring to install the Philippine map. Bitin nga because this is the last step before I can enjoy the Garmin in Manila. I hope somebody could clear things out for me.

Thanks. And more power to roadguide.ph.

Comment

1. If I install the Philippine map on my Nuvi 255W, will my US map be erased? Or will both maps be accessible in the Nuvi?

-Depends. If its called gbmap or similar it won't be overwritten. As an alternative u could back the us map up on your pc.

2. As an alternative, can I not install the Philippine map on an SD card? If so, how would I be able to do it?

- put sd card in pc(or gps). Start mapsource. Send map to sd card.

3. If it is possible to have both the US map and the Philippine map in the Garmin, is it advisable to keep both in the unit? Or is it better to keep the Philippine map in the SD card?

- doesn't really matter.
      How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Thank you so much for the head-up, Jan. I decided to load the Philippine map on my SD card. I wasn't so sure as to the nitty-gritty of how to do it in MapSource, but I found a tutorial (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorial...nit/#mapsource), followed the instructions and managed. (I'm not sure if it was alright for me to have posted the link, but I figure some others could find it useful.)

Now, I can do the dance of joy.

Thanks again. I appreciate the help!

Comment

Nokia 96

Can I download maps to my nokia 96 cell phone which has basic Nokia maps available via internet?

Comment

Originally posted by chas View Post
            Can I download maps to my nokia 96 cell phone which has basic Nokia maps available via internet?
            nokia maps is different from mobile xt. like u said, maps for the nokia maps sofware can be downloaded online. from what i know, those are the only maps that you can download for n-maps.

if you have mobile xt installed on your phone, you can download the standard roadguide ph map here. imo, all other ph map pales in comparison with the roadguide map.
            got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

Originally posted by cap_rael View Post
              Hi. I have just downloaded mapsource ver. 6.13.7 and 6.15.7 per the links which I successfully did but hen I tried installing 6.15.7, it gave me an error saying that the earlier version of mapsource was not found. So, I installed version 6.13.7 but it says the same thing. Do you know a way to get around with the installation process so I can resume contributing again?
              I have been struggling with installing this older version as well.
              Tried numerous times.
              Obviously (before you can even think about 6.13.7) you have to install the "Training center" first but most of us newbies know that one already.
              The trick is NOT to immediately try to upgrade to 6.13.7, FIRST load a map in the training center. Only then upgrade.
              Well..... I read about that on the web somewhere and it did the trick for me, I hope for you as well.

Barend
              Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.[Shakespeare]

Comment

Hi, i just bought a garmin nuvi and tried to follow the instructions posted on this thread. Unfortunately i have encountered a roadblock. I have installed the training center succesfully but when i tried to run the mapsource, it won't continue and says

"The installer has insufficient privalages to modify the file C:\Program Files\Garmin\Notice"

Have anybody encountered this error before? I hope someone can help me. Thanks All!!

Comment

Originally posted by doockie View Post
                  Hi, i just bought a garmin nuvi and tried to follow the instructions posted on this thread. Unfortunately i have encountered a roadblock. I have installed the training center succesfully but when i tried to run the mapsource, it won't continue and says

"The installer has insufficient privalages to modify the file C:\Program Files\Garmin\Notice"

Have anybody encountered this error before? I hope someone can help me. Thanks All!!

try to download all again but this time disable your antivirus
                  always save first then run
                  hmmm... havent encounter something like that before
                  Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                  - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Mapsource Installation Error

Hi,

I was able to successfully install Training Center application. However, when I tried to run the MapSource_6.13.7 I got this error when the installer is about to start the 'Transferring' portion:

'Microsoft' is not a valid short file name.

Can anyone help me how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Might not be the answer you are looking for but I suggest you try Mapsource version 6.15.7 instead

Comment

newbie with a nuvi

Hi there! Thanks for letting me join this forum. I just got a Garmin Nuvi 350 from my sister abroad. So I'm wodering how and where can i get a Phillippine roadmap to download it into my GPS? I'm really getting frustrated..... Thanks again. Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by aye1020 View Post
                          Hi there! Thanks for letting me join this forum. I just got a Garmin Nuvi 350 from my sister abroad. So I'm wodering how and where can i get a Phillippine roadmap to download it into my GPS? I'm really getting frustrated..... Thanks again. Have a nice day.
                          http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=2348

Comment

Thank you Roadguide for the instructions/guides on how to load the Philippine map to my GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
                              its easy download these files, save first then run in order:
                              training center
                              mapsource 6.13.7
                              jklinc roadguide 1.07 basic map
                              open mapsource, select map tiles using map tool, send to gps unit.
                              roadguide map (the best PI map available) is not for sale. if you still have prob, post it.
                              Hello to everyone, Im new to this site. i just received a nuvi 1100 as christmas gift from the US. I was able to follow and downloaded the instructions quoted. I was able to open the mapsource already. On the mapsource all i see are boxes on the right side. I click the dropdown button which it has NO MAP is written. I choose the roadguide.ph 1.07 basic map. a whole map of the philippines appeared. but when i click SEND TO DEVICE, message appeared TO TRANSFER DATE TO YOUR DEVICE, SELECT MAPS OR CREATE WAYPOINTS, ROUTES OR TRACKS.

pleas help. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rolando pimentel View Post
                                Hello to everyone, Im new to this site. i just received a nuvi 1100 as christmas gift from the US. I was able to follow and downloaded the instructions quoted. I was able to open the mapsource already. On the mapsource all i see are boxes on the right side. I click the dropdown button which it has NO MAP is written. I choose the roadguide.ph 1.07 basic map. a whole map of the philippines appeared. but when i click SEND TO DEVICE, message appeared TO TRANSFER DATE TO YOUR DEVICE, SELECT MAPS OR CREATE WAYPOINTS, ROUTES OR TRACKS.

pleas help. thanks.
                                hi. see pic attached.
                                go to map tab (red circle)
                                zoom out to view the entire philippine map (orange cirle on left)
                                use the map tool (orange cicle - right) and "left-click and drag" to highlight the entire philippine map then proceed with "transfer to device" and click the "maps" box (if not automatically selected).
                                enjoy the map.
                                but i'm sure you'll enjoy it more if you get contributor's map.

Comment

Working...
                                X