Mapsource Symbols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mapsource Symbols

Is there a way to add more symbols to Mapsource? An example of a missing symbol is for a bakery waypoint.

Originally posted by yaozer View Post
    Is there a way to add more symbols to Mapsource? An example of a missing symbol is for a bakery waypoint.
    yes. easily done. but more important would be to have all bakeries per example to be assigned the bakery subcategory....
    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Do we currently have a list of subcategories to follow? If yes, I will start using them via Waypoint properties on my next contribution. If not, we can probably start creating the list. I see from Mapsource that the maximum number of subcategories is 16, do you think this is enough?

Comment

Originally posted by yaozer View Post
        Do we currently have a list of subcategories to follow? If yes, I will start using them via Waypoint properties on my next contribution. If not, we can probably start creating the list. I see from Mapsource that the maximum number of subcategories is 16, do you think this is enough?
        16 is not even close for all categories but for dining alone yes maybe that would work...
        How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

I came across these Mapsource symbols with labels. It might be helpful to print and use this as reference when changing the waypoint symbol icons in Mapsource and in our Garmin GPS devices. That way, when we send in our waypoint contributions, it has the correct symbols.

The resolution is not that good though, as i had to do something to reduce the original file size so that it can be uploaded here. HTH
          Attached Files

Comment

hi guys,
            can we use this as general services icon in the mapsource?
            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
            - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Icon Representation

What is the best mapsource icon to represent "National Bookstore" Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by razorspells View Post
                Department store icon will do...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback pokz...

Originally posted by pokz View Post
                  Department store icon will do...

Comment

Originally posted by razorspells View Post
                    When in doubt, better do a search in Mapsource to see what icon is used for such POI. This applies to very common POIs. Since Mapsource categories are very limited, the rule usually applied is: those establishments that do selling activities are assigned the "department store" icon, big department stores are "shopping centers", government offices the "city hall" icon, and those that are difficult to categorize will just be assigned a "building" icon... HTH

Comment

Using Mapsource 6.15.7

I am working on some waypoints, and found that some Icons that are found in the demo map is not available in my Mapsource. Can anyone post/teach me how to update or add these new icons?

Examples of what I don't have:
                      1. Nail Icon that is used to show a Hardware store.
                      2. Barangay Hall Icon (red wheel looking one).

Thanks in advance.

TTFN
                      Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                        Using Mapsource 6.15.7

I am working on some waypoints, and found that some Icons that are found in the demo map is not available in my Mapsource. Can anyone post/teach me how to update or add these new icons?

Examples of what I don't have:
                        1. Nail Icon that is used to show a Hardware store.
                        2. Barangay Hall Icon (red wheel looking one).

Thanks in advance.

TTFN
                        Arvin
                        those will be accommodated by the typ file you're using. remember to use suntzu's typ file if you want those things to show up .

Comment

Thanks Pokz

Is there a thread about how to download, load and use TYP files?

I tried to do a search for TYP and no hits.

On the other hand, with the waypoints that I am making now, if I can't find the right Symbol I will just use a Pin Icon? For example Barangay Hall?

Thanks in advance.

TTFN
                          Arvin

Comment

Thanks Pokz

On the other hand, with the waypoints that I am making now, if I can't find the right Symbol I will just use a Pin Icon? For example Barangay Hall?

Thanks in advance.

TTFN
                            Arvin

choose the closest icon. if not, a pin icon is okay
                            get the contributors map 1st so that you'll appreciate the TYP more
                            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                            - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Thanks Pokz

Thanks in advance.

TTFN
                              Arvin
                              pin icon would be fine for any waypoint with no definite symbol. just make sure you put description on comment field (click more details on waypoint properties)

this is a contribution of natsu. you will notice that he placed "Hardware Store" on comment field since the name "Mina de oro" by itself does not signify hardware store.
                              same with other waypoints.

Comment

Working...
                              X