Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Mapsource Application

Attn Mods and Computer Experts:

SOS. Something strange happened to Mapsource in my Nuvi 1300. Whenever I open it, an error window pops up saying:

"There is a problem with this GARMIN application...." then asks that I press a button to copy the log file and send an email to Garmin. So I clicked on the "Copy error report" tab and pasted below. When I click on the error window's "OK" button, Mapsource just closes.

Please advise on what I should do. Would appreciate all the help you can provide. I'm worried that my old files will get deleted, along with some new waypoints I've been collecting. Can't even DL the new map version.

The log file that I copied is as follows (a strange language to a layman like me):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
    <ErrorReport xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/ApplicationErrors/v1">

<Error>
    <Exception>
    <SourceCodeLocation>
    <SourceFileName>TDB_PRODUCT.CPP</SourceFileName>
    <SourceFileLine>887</SourceFileLine>
    </SourceCodeLocation>
    <StackTrace>
    <ReturnAddress>2088839931</ReturnAddress>
    <ReturnAddress>11191754</ReturnAddress>
    <ReturnAddress>9763282</ReturnAddress>
    <ReturnAddress>4200536</ReturnAddress>
    <ReturnAddress>6794802</ReturnAddress>
    <ReturnAddress>25849400</ReturnAddress>
    <ReturnAddress>13685388</ReturnAddress>
    <ReturnAddress>4294967176</ReturnAddress>
    </StackTrace>
    </Exception>
    <Application>
    <Name>MapSource</Name>
    <Build>
    <Version>
    <VersionMajor>6</VersionMajor>
    <VersionMinor>15</VersionMinor>
    <BuildMajor>7</BuildMajor>
    <BuildMinor>0</BuildMinor>
    </Version>
    <Type>Release</Type>
    <Time>Sep 21 2009, 15:33:52</Time>
    <Builder>sqa</Builder>
    </Build>
    <LanguageID>1033</LanguageID>
    <PartNumber>006-A0041-00</PartNumber>
    </Application>
    <Computer>
    <OperatingSystem>Windows XP Service Pack 3</OperatingSystem>
    <Processor>x86, Processor Level: 6, Processors:2, Model: 28 Stepping: 2</Processor>
    <RamSize>2086128</RamSize>
    </Computer>
    <Time>2011-11-19T13:54:11Z</Time>
    </Error>

<Error>
    <Exception>
    <SourceCodeLocation>
    </SourceCodeLocation>
    <StackTrace>
    </StackTrace>
    </Exception>
    <Application>
    <Name>MapSource</Name>
    <Build>
    <Version>
    </Version>
    <Type>Release</Type>
    <Builder>sqa</Builder>
    </Build>
    </Application>
    <Computer>
    <Processor>x86, Processor Level: 6, Processors:2, Model: 28 Stepping: 2</Processor>
    </Computer>
    <Time>2011-11-19T13:55:37Z</Time>
    </Error>

<Error>
    <Exception>
    <SourceCodeLocation>
    </SourceCodeLocation>
    <StackTrace>
    </StackTrace>
    </Exception>
    <Application>
    <Name>MapSource</Name>
    <Build>
    <Version>
    </Version>
    <Type>Release</Type>
    <Builder>sqa</Builder>
    </Build>
    </Application>
    <Computer>
    </Computer>
    <Time>2011-11-19T13:55:54Z</Time>
    </Error>

<Error>
    <Exception>
    <SourceCodeLocation>
    </SourceCodeLocation>
    <StackTrace>
    </StackTrace>
    </Exception>
    <Application>
    <Name>MapSource</Name>
    <Build>
    <Version>
    </Version>
    <Type>Release</Type>
    <Builder>sqa</Builder>
    </Build>
    </Application>
    <Computer>
    </Computer>
    <Time>2011-11-19T14:05:47Z</Time>
    </Error>

</ErrorReport>

re-installing mapsource might fix the problem. i wouldn't worry about losing any data stored in the gpsr or waypoints/tracks stored in the hd.
    got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

Originally posted by legtu View Post
      re-installing mapsource might fix the problem. i wouldn't worry about losing any data stored in the gpsr or waypoints/tracks stored in the hd.
      Thanks legtu. Does this mean I'll have to uninstall the version in my comp? Sorry for the tech-challenged question.

Comment

it depends. try to just re-install mapsource and see if it fixes your problem. if it does not, then un-install first before re-installing.

Comment

@legtu,

Sorry for bugging you again. I also emailed Garmin's tech support based on instructions in the error window and below is a cut-and-paste of the reply which looks quite complicated and intimidating. I hope I'm notviolating any RG rules with this. Should I follow these directions or just try the re-installation first? Thanks for your patience.

---------------------------------------------
          Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

The TDB_PRODUCT.HPP error that is caused by a corruption in the installation of the program. In order to fix this error you will need to remove the entire program and clean the registry of our files.
          Here are the instructions to fix that issue:
          1. Go to the Start menu in Windows

2. Select the Settings, then select the Control Panel.

3. In the Control Panel double click on the icon for ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.

4. Select MapSource in the uninstall window. The software will ask to if you wish to Uninstall all the components, answer YES to this option.

5. Next go to My Computer and open the "C" drive. Locate the Garmin folder and Delete it.

6. Next go to Start and click on Run, type in %temp% and click OK, this will bring you to your temp files. Go to Edit and click on Select All. Then go to File and click on Delete. Once the files start being deleted, there may be some that will give you an option to select Yes or No, select No you don't want to delete it. Some may simply say that the file can not be deleted that is ok because those are needed files. Once you click on OK in that pop up the process will stop. You can start it again by clicking on the file second in the list and then by holding down the shift key and scrolling to the end of the list and click on the last file. This will select all the files accept the first one that stopped the process. Keep repeating these steps until the temp files have been cleaned out accept the ones that need to stay.

7. Select the Start key, then the Run option. In the Run window type in, REGEDIT and then hit your Enter key. This will launch your Registry Editor, please be very careful and please follow these steps precisely.
          a. Select the (+) next to the folder stating HKEY_CURRENT_USER
          b. In this view select the (+) next to SOFTWARE, when you click on this it will open your registry further.
          c. In the SOFTWARE view you will see a series of folders, one will be GARMIN. Highlight the word GARMIN and press the Delete key. It will ask for confirmation of deletion. Make sure that the word GARMIN is the only key highlighted. Press on the (-) signs to contract the expansion.
          d. Repeat the same process for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. It may not be in this registry.

8. Shut down your system as normal and then let the system set for about 30 seconds. And then start up your computer.

9. Before re-installing the software please disable or turn off any security programs; i.e. Norton, McAfee, Spyware, and or Zone Alarm.

10. Reinstall the software. It will ask for the destination folder, if the setting is the C:\Program Files and so forth, click on the browse option and type in a different destination folder. C:\Garmin. This folder will not exist, but the option to create it will follow. Select OK.

11. Reboot after finishing your installation allowing the software to rest in the destination folder.

12. After you reinstall, I recommend that you upgrade your operating software to the latest version of the MapSource operating system, i.e. update Mapsource program to the latest version from our web site, by going to updates and downloads, then click on mapping programs, and click on the option needed.

Comment

the instructions provided by garmin is just your typical delete/clear the temp folder->uninstall the app->make sure that all registry entries related to the product are manually deleted->re-install app routine.

it's up to you whether w/c procedure you want to try first.
            gotta warn you though, the procedure provided by garmin will also remove all of the locally installed mapsource map(s) so you'll have to re-install them also after following their procedure.

Comment

@legtu,

Thanks for all the advice. I tried re-installing without removing current mapsource. Same error popped up. Then I removed mapsource then re-installed along with training center (ran training center 1st, then mapsource 6.15.7). Same error popped up. So I followed all the steps outlined in the Garmin instructions, downloaded mapsource 6.15.7, then ran it. A new error popped up saying "earlier version of mapsource not found, mapsource will now close".

Am I missing something? Pls advise. Thanks.

Comment

me thinks that you missed installing training center first before mapsource on your last attempt.

alternatively, you can use gmaputil to apply the mapsource install fix so that you won't need to install training center anymore.

Comment

@legtu,

I downloaded gmaputil and Mapsource still wouldn't open. So I went back to uninstalling Training Center and MapSource, then re-installed them one by one. Ran Training Center and kept it open. Then I ran MapSource and this time, this error appeared: "MapSource could not find any installed map products. Please install one or more MapSource products and start MapSource again."

1. What product(s) is/are this message referring to?
                  2. Is there anything I should do once Training Center opens - like should I click on something before running MapSource?
                  3. If I use gmaputil, should I click on one of the tabs or buttons before opening MapSource?

I don't recall any extra or "in-between" steps when I first downloaded and installed Training Center and MapSource. Wondering if my memory fails me now or if I really am missing something.

TIA for the help.

Comment

congratulations! You have successfully installed Mapsource!!!

Map products that mapsource is asking is any or all of the following:

1. RG free map version 1.07
                    2. RG Demo map version 2.03
                    3. RG contributor's map version 2.03 (only for contributors).

So install any of these three and the error or warning won't come out anymore!

Comment

Many thanks!

arvin555 and legtu,

Thanks very much for all the help. Finally got MapSource up and running again. My tech challenged mind just needed to relearn how to get the RG maps reinstalled for MapSource to run.

Just got RG map vers 2.03 installed. Nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X