Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navit - Multi-platform open source car navigation system

Hello fellow cartographers!

I have been scouring the net looking for a better alternative to what is currently available on the market for navigation programs that meets the following:

1. Free
    2. Open source
    3. Runs on different platforms (Windows, Windows CE/ Mobile/ Android, Linux, iPhone, etc.)
    4. Has the ability to use maps from OSM and even Garmin, etc.

I came across a very interesting piece of software that has the potential to rival the likes of Tom-Tom, Magellan & even Garmin.

The program is called Navit

If you own a Windows laptop, a Mac, an Asus EEE PC, an iPhone, Windows Mobile, and even an Android smartphone this may be your ticket.

Here's the Screenshot gallery. Caution drool factor ahead

Of course the project is still in it's infant stage, but if you're up to the challenge & you don't mind getting some computer elbow grease (translation: for geeks only ) then head on over here to test drive this excellent piece of software.

I'm currently running the iPhone version with the OSM mapset installed using data from Cloudmade.

I'm also evaluating other versions for different platforms.

Why post here? The software has an experimental driver for Garmin maps. I personally feel we should maximize our contributions by having the ability to use our maps on any device that supports it.

Post your feedbacks, and let's share this information with our community.

Happy mapping everybody!
    The more you ignore me, the closer I get...

Originally posted by LR-7 View Post
    Why post here? The software has an experimental driver for Garmin maps...
    Hmm. didn't notice that before, musta been EO calling again... That's why I didn't had a second look on the Navit. Hmm, might try it one of these days then...
    ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

Nice Find

Thanks for sharing this information! I'll test it out. Good news indeed for other platforms.

Comment

Working...
      X