Sports-Tracker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sports-Tracker

I have a Nokia N95 8GB that has a built-in GPS, but I also have a Wintec WBT201 G-Rays2, Bluetooth Logger.

The reason for buying external Bluetooth GPS was due to the fact one has to keep the Nokia N95 'tray' extended and the phone to be horizontal facing up to the sky to get best reception for the Satellites.

Be it in a car - where it would be on the dashboard, getting hot from the sun, and unable to then view it much at all, or strapped to the handlebars of a motorcycles - subjected to shocks and vibrations and exposed to the elements, the N95 was not looking so good as a GPS Logger, but good for viewing location on a map.

There are many applications one can load on Symbian OS device like Nokia mobile phones, including GARMIN MobileXT

Mobile GMaps is a FREE application that displays maps from Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, Windows Live Local (MSN Virtual Earth), Ask.com, Open Street Map and other sources on Java J2ME-enabled mobile phones, PDAs and other devices. MGMaps can connect to a GPS receiver over bluetooth or use internal GPS features on some phones in order to automatically display the map for your current position.

You can pre-download maps and store them on your memory card in order to use them on the go without accessing the internet. This is the feature I like the most (except one can't legally use stored GoogleMaps)

The Application I use the most for logging GPS Tracks is one I originally downloaded from Nokia-Labs. A new, non-Nokia service, is now provided by Sports Tracking Technologies available for free in the Ovi Store. The new service is open for registrations at sports-tracker.com, and I was able import my workout history from Nokia Sports Tracker

Sports Tracker turns your phone into a full-on GPS sports computer. Track in real time, check your progress, view maps, and share your workouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELVzxFfl44Q

OK so it is really aimed at Tracking Sports Activities - Running, Walking, Cycling, Mountain Biking, Hiking, Roller Skating, Downhill Skiing, Skiing, Paddling, Rowing, Golf, Indoor, as it can also show Calories burned, and if you buy the 'Polar' - Bluetooth for Nokia HRM transmitter (like I did since I had a heart attack in May 2008), your Heart Rate BPM information also.

I added 'Driving Car', and 'Motorcycling' as my user defined 'Activities' (that do not 'log' my HR BPM, as I don't often wear my HRM whilst driving or Riding).

I find that Sports-Tracker is the most suitable, and convenient, application to Record/Display the NMEA GPS Data from my Wintec WBT-201 GPS Logger via Bluetooth, - here is why:-

1) The 'Track' is displayed on 'Open Street Maps' - that have 'better' roads/tracks than 'Google Maps', (and damn site more convenient to Edit submitted Maps using Potlatch, than 'Google Map Maker').

2) The GPS Trace, from the Bluetooth NMEA Data, which can be configured to be logged/transmitted on Speed Qualifier, Time, Distance, or 'Mix' of Time and/or Distance, or on 'Heading' (which is what I now prefer, set to 2 Degrees left or right), shows very good record, along with altitude.
    See example of one such recent 'Workout' from Tabunok to 'Barili' via 'Ocana'

3) Even if I lose the Bluetooth GPS signal (Nokia battery goes flat?), then the Wintec WBT-201 is still logging the NMEA GPS data. This can be uploaded to 'Time MachineX'. This can do 'Track Convert' to KMZ. Coogle Maps, Visual Earth, GPX, CSV, PLT, Text, NMEA

4) The GPS Track on the Sports Tracker Application, can upload to ones Sports-Tracker account (as per my example - with Graph showing Distance, Speed, Altitude, and 'Heart Rate' if enabled).

5) The GPS Tracks on the'Training Diary' of the Sports Tracker Application, can 'Export' a converted 'File' to a Folder on the Phone Memory as i) screenshot, ii) Google Earth, ii) .GPX, iii) .XML, iv) .CSV, formats.

I can thus contribute to RoadGuide.ph, either from the Wintec WBT-201 GPS Log, converted to .gpx, or the logged Sports Tracker Data, exported to a .gpx file.
Working...
X