Android GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android GPS

whats do you guys recommend as an app for android that can use the map file of our garmins....
    as i often bring my android phone more than the garmin, might as well use it for navigation.
    ...preferably a FREE app
    thanks guys!

There's no Garmin app for Android, AFAIK, so there's no directly supported app that will work with the native RG maps.

BUT, there's the Navitel app. Somebody invested a lot of time converting the RG map (not the latest map, mind you but good enough) to be used on Navitel.

Navitel is not free, btw. Do use the search function to read up on the specific threads.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

I agree as far as I know there are no free GPS apps that is compatible with our GPS.

I do use Navitel on my Android though, I am a fan of Navitel, but yeah they are not free. The RG Navitel map is free though. That somebody who invested time to convert our map for Navitel is/are the admin/mappers of RG.

Here is the link:
      http://roadguide.ph/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74

TTFN
      Arvin

Comment

Osmand

I am using the OSMAND on my Samsung Galaxy 7.7. It is a free apps in Android Market. It uses osm map that is downloadable also for free.
        d1754
        "Do not worry for tomorrow because tomorrow has worry of its own" - Mathew 6:34

The instruction of the wise is like a life-giving fountain;
        those who accept it avoid the snares of death
        . Proverbs 13:14

Comment

Thanks for the info about OSMAND, will test it out soon

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
            I agree as far as I know there are no free GPS apps that is compatible with our GPS.

Arvin
            Arvin, not quite sure what you meant by "compatible with our GPS"?

RoadGuide.ph Maps is not a GPS, but a Digital Map of the philippines. Which until recently required Garmin GPS, to view said RoadGuide.ph.

We now have RoadGuide.ph Philippine Map, available on GPS from 'CDR-King', and as you pointed out Navitel Map on Android.

This is all very well, if you are a Contributor, with a Garmin GPS. and can view the latest (V2.10) RoadGuide.ph Philippine Map.

We sometimes get some 'newbies' coming along, our Green Trail Rides up in the cool, clean air of the mountains of Cebu, with fantastic scenic views. Many are interested to get a GPS themselves, so they can view where we are headed, and see where we have been.

Some (alvinjohn) are also keen on becoming a Contributor, as indeed 'govoner' and 'jpcebu' did, so they can have the latest RG.ph Contributor Map.

The big problem is - what do they view, until they become a Contributor?

The RG.ph Free map (V1.07)?

Sorry, but they won't see hardly any of the tracks we are riding on these GTR's, viewing RG.ph V1.07 on a Garmin GPS!

If they don't keep up and get lost, it is hardly likely they might navigate the way, to catch up with us. That is why we ask for Mobile #. so we can make contact with anyone late arriving at the published Meet-up Location, or get lost on-Route.

Hopefully, if they set their Garmin to show the 'Trip Log', they should be able to reverse track, they way they came!

'arvin555', I am sure you are aware however, that those with an Android Phone/Tablet, with built in GPS, can download a number of free Applications that will show a fairly decent Open Map of the Philippines.

We had one such 'newbie' on just his 2nd Ride with us, on 'GTR#24' on Wednesday 16th May. He was able to see the tracks we were traveling on his Android Tablet/Phone.

Actually I was not able to see the Track, that the Group with Brett(govoner) rode, as he was following some new tracks, not on RG.ph V2.10, by aiming towards Waypoints, I had given him.

Had he switched to an alternate Map Set,he would have seen these Tracks, however.

Does not always mean, such Track is navigable by Motorcycle however.

On Wednesday 16th May, a Group of 7 x Green Trail Riders, met up at small Fuel Station on the TransCentral Highway in Cebu.

The start of Green Trail Ride #24 proper, was to the North, past Ayala Heights, to the North, by the Trail Head office, & CR. of Kag Irag Nature Trail - Canada Drive, to the East of kotkot River.

We discovered on GTR#24, there is no navigable route between points 4) and 5) for Motorcycles (and dubious if possible on foot, unless you are into mountaineering, as steep descent on narrow footpath, perhaps, as not at all obvious, going by GPS compass bearings)?

Personally I have 3 x Philippine Map Sets on my Garmin Nuvi 255 and on the G.MobileXT application on my Nokia N95 8GB. One of which is Topographic Map, showing 10m Contours.

Such a Map is available for Android, as well as Garmin GPS, and adds 10m Contours to the RG.ph Map (or any other Philippines Map on Garmin GPS, if both selected.
            Last edited by Britster; 05-20-2012, 23:16.

Comment

I am sorry but I meant "our RG map" instead of "GPS"!

There are no free android apps that are compatible with our RG map, though we have the free RG navitel map! Navitel not being free though.

I tested OSMAND, nice, but unfortunately for the free version you are only allowed like 8 offline map downloads, otherwise you will need internet access. Have not tested the whole thing yet though, but because I already have Navitel and RG Navitel on my unit, for Philippine use I will use this more! Saving my free offline map downloads from OSM for possible out of the country trips.

TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post

I do use Navitel on my Android though, I am a fan of Navitel, but yeah they are not free. The RG Navitel map is free though. That somebody who invested time to convert our map for Navitel is/are the admin/mappers of RG.

Here is the link:
                http://roadguide.ph/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74

TTFN
                Arvin
                ---

Thanks for the mappers. RG Navi-Map is not bad at all. Its far better that other maps (just an opinion). Been using it for more than 2 months now.

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
                  There's no Garmin app for Android, AFAIK, so there's no directly supported app that will work with the native RG maps.

BUT, there's the Navitel app. Somebody invested a lot of time converting the RG map (not the latest map, mind you but good enough) to be used on Navitel.

Navitel is not free, btw. Do use the search function to read up on the specific threads.
                  I tried the RG free downloadable map and was able to run in a Android 4.0.3 device using Garmin StreetPilot. Only, i have observed that i cannot "search" using the point of interest (waypoints) by category (e.g., restaurants, shopping, banks) resulting to "No data available message" or "No matches found". This case is similar to the free OSM downloadable map too.

I have'nt contributed for quite sometime that's why I cannot try to test if the latest and updated RG map will work in my device. Hope to find time to contribute again and restore my status as "Active Contributor". again.

BTW, is tried it using the Asus Padfone with bundled Garmin StreetPilot app. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X