Text to Speech Nuvi GPS - works in Phi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LGMan View Post
    Does text to speech US Nuvi capable models work with Philippine map? I mean will it actually say Edsa or Shaw Blvd? Just curious... -Lex
    Just wanted to share my joyous experience,

i brought my nuvi 360 and loaded it up with the standard map. The thing worked like a charm while driving in makati.

driving along greenbelt "Paseo De Roxas" was read like "Paseo de Roksas"...

Comment

Go to garmin website it says that the 255 has tts. Now I'm having 2nd thought my brother just bought me a 255 from Canada and is coming this march I hope that that it has tts.

Comment

got my 255 and yes it has tts. it just sounds funny saying our street names.

Comment

To add the amusement, MIA road is pronounced as "Missing in Action road " I cant believe it. I triple checked , It says : " Missing in Action" road

After i reach domestic road, domestic road was pronounced correctly. I should have recorded it, anyway what i have done is to take screenshot.
          Attached Files

Comment

Has anyone tried using different voice files for text to speech? I found this site: http://www.pigtones.com/ but never got around to trying it. PIG=politically incorrect GPS!

Comment

Originally posted by stroker28 View Post
              Has anyone tried using different voice files for text to speech? I found this site: http://www.pigtones.com/ but never got around to trying it. PIG=politically incorrect GPS!
              tried to download pigtones but you have to pay for it. i just download my voices at garmin website. 2 voices only though.

Comment

Originally posted by wilfy819 View Post
                Garmin said that the nuvi 255 has TTS, but apparently not all of the models have it. Unfortunately I'm one of them that has it.

Anybody could help me? I would really like to add TTS on my 255.

Thanks!

helo wilfy , the 255W im using have 2 voice selection ( male and female ) , only the male have the TTS , try to check maybe your's is switch to female , that only mention = on 10 meters turn - right .

the male pronounce our street names in foreign lips , hehehehe
                Last edited by airwolf; 04-09-2009, 15:37.

Comment

my nuvi255 comes with american english-jack(TTS) and also has samantha. samantha is what im using and works fine. I haven't tried other setting yet.

how come when i select for voice language it's got other options like espanol europeo and espanol americas. and it says TTS too. I wonder how they'll sound like.. heh heh heh heh.

anybody tried the other language?

Comment

Not all voices on the GPS supports TTS. On my 255W, I have 6 usable english voices that supports TTS:

American male and female
                    Australian male and female
                    British male and female

If you don't have any of these, download Webupdate from the Garmin site and install it. Use this tool to update your GPS firmware, avail map updates that came with your device (ie. North America, Australia, etc.) if you want, and install voices (TTS and non-TTS) to your device if it was not included at the time of purchase.
                    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

can anyone provide info on the nuvi's voice prompt along EDSA approaching the point where if you choose the wrong flyover, you'll end up in pasay or on the south highway? will it tell you to keep left or right?

Comment

Originally posted by notitots View Post
                        can anyone provide info on the nuvi's voice prompt along EDSA approaching the point where if you choose the wrong flyover, you'll end up in pasay or on the south highway? will it tell you to keep left or right?
                        Hint: Use route simulation

I simulated a route coming from the EDSA/Ayala tunnel towards the interchange and here are the voice prompts:

If going to SLEX:
                        "Exit right to SLEX then keep left"
                        "Keep left on ramp to SLEX"

If going to Pasay"
                        "Keep left on EDSA"

If going to Pres. Osmena:
                        "Exit right to Pres. Osmena then keep right"
                        "Keep right on ramp to Pres. Osmena"

I learned not to rely too much on the voice prompts.
                        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

I really like the nuvi 780. The TTS is working perfectly fine. I used the American Jill TTS and it pronouce the street names loud and clear. There might be some names of the st. that might not be promounced as accurate as we can but most of them are okay. The american Jack TTS will also be ok.

Comment

Working...
                          X