nuvi 255w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheapest nuvi

Hi. May I ask what is the cheapest Garmin Nuvi where during cruising you can see all the registered POIs on the road even if that is not your destination?

Comment

Originally posted by junrellannt View Post
      Hi. May I ask what is the cheapest Garmin Nuvi where during cruising you can see all the registered POIs on the road even if that is not your destination?
      There's no way to see the poi's when navigating if you buy the unit from the states... It's a hardware restriction... Units from taiwan and singapore show poi's in actual route.

Comment

Just got my first Nuvi 255w and loaded with Phil. standard map from the seller. I find it very easy to use but I just wanted to ask if its normal that the signal seems to be slow in getting the satellite data and during calculation? Tia.
        Last edited by Loop; 01-05-2011, 16:18.
        If there's a WHEEL, there's a WAY!

Comment

Hmm, on my Nuvi 1350 it does take a while for the unit to get lock of all the satellites it needs for a good fix. I'd say 5 minutes. This is true whenever I turn it on and I'm quite far from where I last turned it off from. Example: Went to Bohol last week, so Turned off the unit in Manila, turned it on in Bohol, took a bit of time for it to lock on, but after that it was fast, say a few seconds only. Then when I went back to Manila, same thing, took it a bit of time.

But if you are turning your unit on at home and then off at home then turning it on again and it takes more than 5 minutes, maybe it's quite slow.

Also you can tap on the Signal icon on the upper left hand part of your screen and you will see which satellites are being locked on and how many.

Have fun with your GPSR! Hope you can contribute some Waypoints and stuff to RG

TTFN
          Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by Loop View Post
            Just got my first Nuvi 255w and loaded with Phil. standard map from the seller. I find it very easy to use but I just wanted to ask if its normal that the signal seems to be slow in getting the satellite data and during calculation? Tia.

sometimes GPSr behaves like that.
            it also depends on the sat. lock
            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
            - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Most newer Garmin GPS units will "remember" the positions of the satellites it used when you turn it off. When you turn it on again from the same position, it predicts where those satellites will be so it's faster to get a lock. Now if you turned on the unit from a different location, it has to do another satellite search (the farther from the last position, the longer it takes).

Comment

@Hbt and Walter: Thanks Thanks Sirs!

Another Qs Sirs, Are there any best location to properly installed the unit inside the car? If daytime, windshield as prescribed in the manual seems to be harmful not ony for the unit and even dry the LCD when directly hit by sunlight. Will it also affects the battery life of Nuvi 255w? Any advice Sirs? Thanks again in advance.
                Last edited by Loop; 01-19-2011, 18:29.

Comment

Another Qs Sirs, Are there any best location to properly installed the unit inside the car? If daytime, windshield as prescribed in the manual seems to be harmful not ony for the unit and even dry the LCD when directly heat by sunlight. Will it also affects the battery life of Nuvi 255w? Any advice Sirs? Thanks again in advance.
                  i use friction mount
                  Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                  - Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                    i use friction mount
                    Fit to 255w? Where can i buy it sir? Thanks

Comment

Fit to 255w? Where can i buy it sir? Thanks

try to get in touch with bugsbunny. pm him/her
                      - Bruce Lee

Comment

try to get in touch with bugsbunny. pm him/her
                        Will try. Thanks Bigtime sir!

Comment

Another Qs Sirs, Are there any best location to properly installed the unit inside the car? If daytime, windshield as prescribed in the manual seems to be harmful not ony for the unit and even dry the LCD when directly heat by sunlight. Will it also affects the battery life of Nuvi 255w? Any advice Sirs? Thanks again in advance.
                          in my experience, location should be either windshield mount or friction mount on top of dashboard. putting it lower than these two will affect your signal.
                          i use windshield mount and for almost 2yrs now its still ok.
                          and of course if your using v-cool tint, you would need an external antenna.
                          FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

sometimes GPSr behaves like that.
                            it also depends on the sat. lock
                            route calculation has something to do with map.
                            contribute to roadguide and get our contributors map and you will see a big difference.
                            FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
                              route calculation has something to do with map.
                              contribute to roadguide and get our contributors map and you will see a big difference.
                              Yes sir, Im still learning from this site and hopefully soon, i will be one of your contributors too.

Big Thanks Sir!

Comment

Early this morning I strolled along the streets of Baguio City (Session, Magsaysay, Bonifacio, Rimando in particular) together with my nuvi 255W. I wanted to try using the "Pedestrian" mode and to see if the 255W will correctly record my track.

After uploading the data via Mapsourse, I was surprised to see that the tracks recorded are way way off. Please see the screenshot attachment.

Any idea what's causing this "off-track" problem? Thanks.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X