X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kelpguy View Post
    thanks for everyone's input.
    here's the *latest* latest.
    thinking that i got the message to ''install a new lock wizard'', because the present mapsource program i have installed is corrupt, so i uninstalled it and did a fresh download and ran it.

mapsource opens up with a window saying ''the following maps are locked'' with a button to ''unlock'' and a button to ''skip'' and the contributors map listed in the locked window. pc basic map, roadguide 107 and 120 contributors map where already installed in mapsource tho now the contributors map is totally blank except for the major roads. maybe i need to download a fresh copy?

if i chose unlock, the map manager opens up listing the maps mentioned above, so i select the contributors map button and my *only* option is to unlock online at garmin.

so i closed mapsource and reopened it and chose the skip button and then utilities>manage map products and the same map manager window opens with the same unlock at garmin option.

so then i tried another angle. i took everything garmin and road guide out of the computer and put it on a removable drive and pulled the drive. then i uninstalled mapsource and loaded *only* mapsource back into the computer and reinstalled mapsource and when mapsource opened all the maps mentioned above where listed and i did the same song and dance (which i can now do with my eyes closed).

while *was* enjoying using the contributors map in mapsource, i sure would like to get the contributors map into the garmin unit *before* i get to the fils in a couple of months.

ideas anyone?

where am i feeking up? : )
    can anyone do a remote access?

norm : ))~
    hi kelpguy. what mapsource version are you using?
    make sure you installed 6.13.7 or 6.15.7 versions only. anything before that have issues with compatibility. although you had this before as per this post http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....2&postcount=16
    then if you installed 6.15.7, you can unlock the map by unlocking region (arvin's method) or you can still use "unlock wizard" to unlock the map. that "re-install unlock wizard" might be due to corrupted mapsource installed as you have mentioned.
    Last edited by doki; 01-05-2011, 05:23.

Comment

while *was* enjoying using the contributors map in mapsource, i sure would like to get the contributors map into the garmin unit *before* i get to the fils in a couple of months.
      hi norm.
      let me make this clear first...
      can you now use contributors map in your mapsource?
      if yes, that means its already unlocked, all you need to do is send it to your gps unit.
      FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by doki View Post
        hi kelpguy. what mapsource version are you using?
        make sure you installed 6.13.7 or 6.15.7 versions only. anything before that have issues with compatibility. although you had this before as per this post http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....2&postcount=16
        then if you installed 6.15.7, you can unlock the map by unlocking region (arvin's method) or you can still use "unlock wizard" to unlock the map. that "re-install unlock wizard" might be due to corrupted mapsource installed as you have mentioned.
        doki, thanks again for following my situation : )
        i'm using 6.15.17 and this is a new computer with W7 and i was careful to make sure i download only 6.15.17 after being thru it once before on a different computer. i never did get that computer to transfer the contributors map to the garmin unit but that's history.

> you can unlock the map by unlocking region (arvin's method) or you can still use "unlock wizard" to unlock the map.

grrrrrrrr... when i go: utilities>manage map products>map manager, 3 maps are listed:
        pc basemap / version 2.00 (not lockable)
        roadguide.ph 1.07 basic map / version 1.07 (not lockable)
        roadguide.ph 1.20 contributors map / version 1.2 (locked)

if i chose any one of them and go to unlock regions, i see *nothing*, just a blank field.
        if i choose the contributors map, the ''unlock online'' but comes proud, no other options.

so after writing the above i just did the registry clean up procedure following instructions at http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....2&postcount=16
        and... that didn't change anything <sigh>

i also tried the select regions procedure and the regional maps won't highlight for me. so thinking something's missing in the map, i ran the contributors map again w/o uninstalling it and i got an error message telling me, ''some files could not be created. please close windoz and restart this installation.'' meanwhile in the extracting archive window, ''cannot create roadguid.img'' and ''cannot create ROADGUID_MDR.IMG'' are in red.

>that "re-install unlock wizard" might be due to corrupted mapsource installed as you have mentioned

i think you're right since i don't have that problem since i did a fresh mapsource download

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
          hi norm.
          let me make this clear first...
          can you now use contributors map in your mapsource?
          if yes, that means its already unlocked, all you need to do is send it to your gps unit.
          Reiji0463, thanks for taking an interest in my situation : )

i can bring up the contributors map but the only detail showing is major towns and major roads and ferry routes. no poi's, no streets. on negros, i only see a dot for dumaguete and bacolod, nada más.

the 1.07 basic map shows poi's and streets.

as far as it being already unlocked, the map manager shows it as locked and my only unlock option is the ''unlock online'' button which takes me to garmin.

i don't think this is part of this episode but to back up a bit to my past unlock problems; for some reason the judge apparently used the garmin model i had listed in my profile (which was wrong) instead of using the unit id i got by going >utilities>unit id, which i copied and pasted into my letter to the judge so there was no typos. but after posting my unlock maps woes to the forum, several members suggested i apply for a new unlock code, which i did and the judge gave me a new unlock code but i haven't had the opportunity to use it (yet

Comment

Reiji0463, thanks for taking an interest in my situation : )

i can bring up the contributors map but the only detail showing is major towns and major roads and ferry routes. no poi's, no streets. on negros, i only see a dot for dumaguete and bacolod, nada más.

the 1.07 basic map shows poi's and streets.

as far as it being already unlocked, the map manager shows it as locked and my only unlock option is the ''unlock online'' button which takes me to garmin.

i don't think this is part of this episode but to back up a bit to my past unlock problems; for some reason the judge apparently used the garmin model i had listed in my profile (which was wrong) instead of using the unit id i got by going >utilities>unit id, which i copied and pasted into my letter to the judge so there was no typos. but after posting my unlock maps woes to the forum, several members suggested i apply for a new unlock code, which i did and the judge gave me a new unlock code but i haven't had the opportunity to use it (yet

try unlocking using 6.13.7 then once ok, you can upgrade it to 6.15.7.
            FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

For the record, unlock codes are generated depending on the GPS ID given to me. If your unlock code did not work, it only means one thing, you've given me the wrong GPS ID.

No software can generate unlock code using the garmin model, it's simply not possible. Anybody who sent me a PM without their GPS ID were told to include their unit IDs.

Comment

Kelpguy,

Please try this, I hope this works.. try it on the mapsource you have now!

1. After reading your post, I realize that you really do not have any unlock codes in your mapsource yet, at all. I am sorry but maybe you did not understand my suggestion before.

1. you were able to get to Map product manager already right? Where you can see all the maps you mentioned?

2. You also know there is a tab beside Map product information which is called "Unlock regions" you mentioned it in your post as well.

So here we go:

1. Go to "unlock regions" it is blank right?
                2. Click "add"
                3. Enter your unlock code from "the judge" any of the two will do I imagine.
                4. On the bottom part, just type in your GPS unit model or your unit ID (this is optional).
                5. Click OK
                6. Your Unlock regions should already have one entry.

Look at the Map product information, and your 1.20 map should already say Unlocked!

If you cannot click "add" in unlock regions, something is wrong with your mapsource!

Good luck dude!

TTFN
                Arvin

Comment

Kelpguy,

Any news on your unlock problems? Were you able to unlock successfully already?

TTFN
                  Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                    Kelpguy,

Please try this, I hope this works.. try it on the mapsource you have now!

1. After reading your post, I realize that you really do not have any unlock codes in your mapsource yet, at all. I am sorry but maybe you did not understand my suggestion before.

1. you were able to get to Map product manager already right? Where you can see all the maps you mentioned?

2. You also know there is a tab beside Map product information which is called "Unlock regions" you mentioned it in your post as well.

So here we go:

1. Go to "unlock regions" it is blank right?
                    2. Click "add"
                    3. Enter your unlock code from "the judge" any of the two will do I imagine.
                    4. On the bottom part, just type in your GPS unit model or your unit ID (this is optional).
                    5. Click OK
                    6. Your Unlock regions should already have one entry.

Look at the Map product information, and your 1.20 map should already say Unlocked!

If you cannot click "add" in unlock regions, something is wrong with your mapsource!

Good luck dude!

TTFN
                    Arvin
                    arvin 555 and all...
                    i followed your latest instructions and i'm happy to report, it appears everything is doing what's it's sposed to do. the contributors map in mapsource is full of detail and... i don't get ''can't unlock the maps'' when i use the garmin. in the garmin, i started to key in dumaguete under 'address' and it auto completes dumaguete, negros oriental.

one thing i'm curious about is:
                    i'm not positive but it appears that when i cleaned mapsource out of the registry, i deleted everything mapsource related in my hard drive, including about 75 fils waypoints that i hadn't turned in yet <sigh> and another 50 or so personal waypoints. if so, maybe a ''don't try this at home before you transfer your waypoints to a removable hard drive'' warning attached to your instructions would be a good idea.

anyway, it sure feels good to move on. i'm looking at airline tickets now and looking forward to making more contributions to the map soon.

thanks to all...

Comment

Kelpguy,

Thanks for your update, you were able to unlock it finally!! Congrats.

If you want to be sure if you have your 1.20 contributor's map, try to search for San Jose (northern samar), the version 1.20 should have some POIs, where version 1.19 does not have any POIs in that area.

That is the nice thing about contributing often, if you are not sure, just search for the POI that you last contributed and you will know if the version is updated or not

As for your Waypoints. If you have not deleted them from your Garmin Nuvi unit yet, chances are you can still download them from there again. Try it out, connect your garmin unit to your PC and then click download and choose Waypoints, you probably still have it in the unit. Good luck!

TTFN
                      Arvin

Comment

Working...
                      X