What would you choose 255w or 265w?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
    I'd say the 255W is a great bang for the buck model, in fact it is "The bang for the buck model".

Some reviews here:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navi...-32902383.html

Having tried the 255W and the 1350 which I own, I don't see much difference in terms of usability between the two... that is just my opinion, my brother is looking into getting one as well, I recommended to him 255W, not sure if he took my advise.

TTFN
    Arvin
    Hmmm.... I'm starting to get the feeling of wanting a "255W"...haaayyyz
    Im only budget is not much an issue...

Comment

Sorry Erratum, I meant 205W not 255W I have not yet had the chance of testing a 255W, but the 205W is not bad at all and it is the Bang for the Buck unit of all!

TTFN
      Arvin

Comment

Take note that the 2X5 models will not create 1-sec easter egg tracks. The 1XX0 models still have this capability.
        Last edited by Walter; 05-13-2011, 08:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
          Take note that the 2X5 models will not create 1-sec easter egg tracks. The 1XX0 models still have this capability.
          i have nuvi 205 / 285WT both are capable of 1-sec track log. it depends on
          HWID me think, not the model. models with HWID 1091 is not capable.

Comment

My 265W also has the 1-sec trip log feature. I got it just last March 2011 from the U.S.. It's running on the latest firmware v7.10

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
              not true.
              nuvi 2x5 models are capable of recording 1sec tracks.
              its a matter of looking for the log files.
              check this thread:
              http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....&postcount=275
              FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
                not true.
                check this thread:
                Been there, done that, no 1-sec track log, no special hidden directory for log files, at least on my 255W.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
                  not true.
                  check this thread:
                  That URL Link no longer appears to be valid as getting "The requested document was not found on this server.?"

I have just bought a refurbished as new Garmin Nuvi 255 from Amazon.com.
                  Nuvi 255
                  Software Version: 7.20,

I can get it to go into the 'Easter Egg' Logging Mode, but simply connecting the Unit to PC and downloading via Mapsource does not give 1 Second Tracks.

NB: Hardware ID: 1074 and from what I found on the Internet, this means 'M Trek' Chipset

If anyone has a Garmin Nuvi 2x5,and with Hardware ID:1074, and is able to get proper 1 sec Tracks, I would be interested to know (as long as it does not mean Firmware 'Hacks' as this unit still came with 1 Year Warranty).

Think I might have found my own answer?

I was reading Raw logging on nuvi 2xx/5xx/7xx/1xxx/37xx
                  (Hope this OK giving the URL hyperlink - could not see any 'Rule' about this like some other Forums, pleast delete if I misssed it?)

Note that on the 2x5 models the gps.bin file is in \debug
                  But I could not see any \debug folder
                  OK found some .bin Files, but which one?

(Assume Garmin Device is Directory N for Nuvi):-

• N:\Garmin\Diag = sys_log1.bin = 2.00 MB (2,097,152 bytes)
                  • R:\Garmin\ExtData = 006-D0952-01.bin - 006-D0952-08.bin from 27KB to 7,824KB
                  • R:\Garmin\Logs = nav.bin = 1KB, traffic = 1KB, but different Date/Time Logs can be up to 657KB?
                  • R:\Garmin\RemoteSW = 006B048201.bin 32KB

How to Read them?

Perhaps Jan gave the answer in Nuvi 1s tracklog feature Reply #15 - use wnutrak

use the attached file.
                  explanation should it be needed at the malfreemaps links
                  Attached Files
                  wnutrak018.rar (206.0 KB, 11 views)
                  I will try that 'Utility' wnutrak

If that does not give any recorded Tracks with 1 second intervals, I wont sweat too much over it, as I dont need the Garmin Nuvi to Log Tracks for RoadGuide.ph

Not because I am already a Contributor, but because I have my WBT-201 for 1 Sec Track Logging.

I bought the Garmin Nuvi 255 for displaying the RG Contributors Map on my XT225 motorcyle (one needs to contruct a 'Visor' so the screen is in shade, in order to view it whilst riding, I found)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Britster; 06-19-2011, 00:25.

Comment

The DEBUG folder of the 2x5 series is usually located in the root directory of the nuvi, which is the same location as the GARMIN folder.

ex. (see pic J)

If it's not there, your hardware or firmware most likely does not support it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the debug folder, you will see more folders, these are the 1 sec logs sorted and named by date and time (UTC) (see pic K)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The actual 1-sec log inside all the folders will be named gps.bin (see pic L)

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gtv View Post
                      The DEBUG folder of the 2x5 series is usually located in the root directory of the nuvi, which is the same location as the GARMIN folder.

ex. (see pic J)

Inside the debug folder, you will see more folders, these are the 1 sec logs sorted and named by date and time (UTC) (see pic K)

Thanks for the reply and the screen shots - gtv

I guess the Hardware ID:1074 (M2 = 'M Trek' chipset, Abrv: MTK) might be the problem.

I have e-mailed Garmin Supports asking why it is that 'Logging Control' can be got to but no Tracks recorded apparently as no GPS.bin file seems to exist.

There was no gps.bin in any Folder of my Garmin Nuvi 255

Comment

You're Welcome.

HWID 1091 does the same.

You can access the start/stop logging menu but it doesn't seem to have any output.

Comment

You're Welcome.

HWID 1091 does the same.

You can access the start/stop logging menu but it doesn't seem to have any output.

The Garmin Nuvi 265W that I also bought from Amazon.com, does have the 'debug' Folder in 'root'. Then Folders with Date/Time names that contain the gps.bin file

You can use 'wNutrak' to 'Convert' to .gpx

Another method is to use GPS Visualizer web utility.

Convert a GPS file to plain text or GPX

This form reads a tracklog or waypoint file (in a recognized format) or plain-text tabular data, and converts it to an easy-to-read tab-delimited or CSV text file, or to a GPX file.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

Just select that gps.bin File on the Nuvi
                          ie Garmin/debug/2011xxxx_xxxxxx/gps.bin

Convert to required Output format: i) Plain text ii) .GPX iii) Google Earth .KML

You can also convert to Map .jpg or .kmz to see what it looks like.

Comment

ex. (see pic J)

Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2011 1:03 PM
                            To: Product Support
                            Subject: No 'Diagnostic Tracks' generated

Escalation from KANA On Demand Self Service

Subject: No 'Diagnostic Tracks' generated

I learned on several Forums that some Garmin Nuvi models can be set to record Tracks @ 1 second Intervals. Following the 'instructions' on how to invoke this hidden feature (Easter Egg) I do get taken to 'Logging Control' and with GPS signal can press 'Start Recording'.

On the Map Screen there is a 'Stop' button and the Camera 'Screen Grab Icon since this 'Mode' seems to get automatically invoked when Recording under Logging /mode is started (but can be 'Disabled' by returning to Settings > Display.

However my Garmin Nuvi 255 with Hardware ID:1074 does not seem to generate any diagnostic Tracks @ 1 Second Intervals as unable to find any GPS.bin file?

Appreciate a reply advising why my Garmin Nuvi cant Record such Tracks. I purchased from Amazon.com in USA and was a 'Refurbished Garmin 255 GPS NA N.O. 010-N0717-20

This is the reply, I received from GARMIN by e-mail today,

date 23 June 2011 10:05
                            subject RE: No 'Diagnostic Tracks' generated
                            mailed-by garmin.com

Dear David R. Whittall,

Thanks for contacting GARMIN corp. Your mail has been forwarded on to us from Garmin International.

I am glad to help. nuvi255 does not support this feature. Please understand about this.

When replying to this message please be sure to include all previous correspondences.

Best regards,

Denise Ting
                            Marketing Department
                            GARMIN Corporation
                            Add: No.68, Zhangshu 2nd Rd., Xizhi Dist., New Taipei City 221, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
                            Tel: 886-2-2642-8999
                            Fax:886-2-2642-9099

Comment

Working...
                            X