Installing Multiple Maps for Garmin Nuvi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. usually gmapprom is the US map since its bigger in size

2. if you use mapsource to transfer e.g. OSM map to your sd card then it mapsource will do everything for you.

HTH
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

the US map is the one much bigger in size; more than 1Gbytes. the RG map is the gmapsupp.img; a bit more than 60 Mb. You can add more maps by renaming the additional maps as gmapsup1, gmapsup2 etc.

pls. search more of this on this forum. i'm sure there were posts about this in the past. cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by lyndon View Post
        the RG map is the gmapsupp.img; a bit more than 60 Mb.

JM can only access the standard map
        Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
        - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
          JM can only access the standard map
          oops! sorry hbt. got too excited. made a mistake there on the RG map size.

Comment

thanks hbt and lyndon!

my next mission is to learn how to mark waypoints and upload to RG so I can get contributor's status

Comment

Multiple maps for nuvi 255w

I once thought that I had to have an SD card in order to use 2 third-party maps in my nuvi 255w, but I found this article: http://voyager8.blogspot.com/2009/08...rmin-nuvi.html

Basically, I just renamed the 2nd map as gmapprom1.img and loaded it to the internal storage of the nuvi. It worked! I now have 3 maps in my nuvi: the default North America map and 2 other maps and I didn't even have to use an SD card.

This technique probably should work for 255, 265 and 265w.

Comment

@seav,

I tried this and it works on my 265w. Yey! Now, I don't have to buy an SD card yet.

@all,

Is it ok to just delete the North America & Canada map in the meantime (which came with the unit)? I intend to just save it on my hard disk or something.

Comment

Tonedeaf,

The preinstalled maps might be in a /map folder or it might be in /.system (which is a hidden folder).

In my opinion only though, you should leave the other maps in your GPSr, no harm in backing up but no need to delete those preinstalled maps either, unless you need more memory space in your GPSR (unlikely).

For example, I have like 2 to 3 different kinds of Philippine maps in my GSPR, plus the Singapore and Malaysia preinstalled maps that came with the unit.

TTFN
                  Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by warfab View Post
                    Check out Boyd's post in GpsPasSion forums...

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...70&whichpage=3

2nd post on the url above...

Assuming he's correct, you can even rename it to roadguideph.img
                    Yes it does work! I am using nuvi 1300 and have many maps installed on my micro sd card (8gig) as long as the folder is "map" and the files are with .img extension.

Comment

Working...
                    X