No announcement yet.

Moved: A-GPS on Sony Ericsson Xperia X1i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmmmm.... I really HOPE it doesn't incur data charges because I have been using Garmin Mobile XT every day since Dec. 21! haha My Globe statements cutoff date is on the 17th of every month, so I will only know whether data charges have been incurred on Jan. 17. But you know, I've been observing my phone since Dec. 21, and I've never seen it connect to any of the data services (GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, etc). The data connection icon on the top bar in Windows Mobile NEVER changes to a smaller letter with arrows (arrows signifying data being transmitted/received).

Based on this thread, in my opinion, the only possible reason (well, besides connecting to Garmin Online) why Garmin Mobile XT connects to data services is because it is really trying to download Ephemeris data. One thing I have observed with the QuickGPS software is that each download run would give you data that is good for 7 days (there is an expiry). And since I run QuickGPS all the time (my in-between download intervals is always less than 7 days, every 2 days average), I never had a situation where the Ephemeris data was too old for Garmin Mobile XT to work with. That MIGHT (big word: MIGHT) be the reason why my phone doesn't try to connect to data services. It is POSSIBLE that Mobile XT will try to download stuff off data services if it deems the Ephemeris data obsolete (past 7 days already). If this is the case (and I hope it is...), then we can still avoid being charged for data by frequently using software like QuickGPS, etc. Again, I have yet to prove this, I have not received my new Globe statement yet soooo.. .

What do you guys think?

Best regards,
    Ryan

Comment

AGPS Charges

Just want to share my experience. I went to the US (Chicago) last October and used my N95 (using Nokia Maps) for about a week with an average GPS use of about 30mins a day. I noticed that my EDGE internet connection was active every time I used Maps. I was preparing for huge data bill from Globe, but to my surprise I only paid about P20 for my whole stay. Considering this had roaming charges, I'm guessing using it locally is very cheap.

Hope this helps...

Zap

Comment

Ah yes I've heard from a lot of people that using Nokia Maps does make your phone connect to data services. I'm not sure about this, but it seems to be considered a "service" for Nokia to provide these maps. With Garmin, we already have the map in our units.

By the way, I again tried checking my Globe statement via 2312 PLAN UNBILLED, it didn't show me any data charges. It only listed voice charges, local SMS, and international SMS. It's either I currently don't have any data charges OR the 2312 messaging service really cannot provide an entry for data charges.

Comment

I guess the best thing to do to prevent data downloads while using GPS on cellphones is to disable 3G/Edge/GPRS. I'm not sure if all GPS-equipped cellphones have that option but the iPhone does.

Thanks.

Comment

Hey Allan,

I'm fairly certain Windows Mobile PDA phones have that option. Come to think of it, I guess it is also a good idea to just turn all these off, I don't use them anyways, I'm more of a WiFi type of guy

Time to dig into SKTools to find that option..

Comment

To avoid connecting to your network's data services, you can change your settings in Network management to My work network instead of your telco's settings.

Comment

Hi Jayteecie,

Good idea, it's just that sometimes certain software programs are quite "makulit", and insist on using them. By turning them off from the root, these programs, for sure, can't do anything to harm my wallet hehe

Best regards,
                Ryan

Comment

Got it working in my X1 using Garmin MXT 4.1, i'm really amazed on how this stuff performs.

Comment

Originally posted by damskie View Post
                    Got it working in my X1 using Garmin MXT 4.1.
                    upgrade to v5.00.20. much better interface, some bugs/issues were fixed, and you can change the vehicle icon as well...
                    Last edited by Borgie; 01-21-2009, 06:46.

Comment

Yeah damskie do upgrade to version 5.00.20, the Garmin website has a Downloads section where you can get the upgrade package for free, including extra vehicles. Too bad the extra voices weren't really designed to work with Mobile XT, although you can rename the file to a voice language file name and make it work (cross fingers).

The Xperia with Garmin Mobile XT is waaaayyy cool

Comment

Just sharing my X1 Screenshot of Garmin.

Comment

Nice shots damskie! Sony Ericsson start logo! I see that you're a frequent visitor of the xda-developers forum

Comment

Confirmed, I wasn't charged for any data services from Globe, just got my Globe statement recently. The normal routine I used was to just download Ephemeris data with QuickGPS before every trip. I used Garmin Mobile XT from December 21 to January 3, every day, and only after thinking that it might cost me a lot that I used it more sparingly.... 'til now hehehe Long live Garmin and Roadguide!

Comment

agps

hey yaozer

just to help you out with agps, it does download data for it to be used effectively. in fact it downloads data on satellite positions in order for the gps to more easily find them and not scan the whole sky. so no it is not a tower triangulation method which is not real gps (iphone).
                              on my omnia you have the option of setting agps do download data only when it is connected to free connections. i have tried using both gps and agps. you will get a gps fix in maybe 3-4 min on a cold start and 1-2 min with a gps. so it really does speed up aquisitions.
                              agps data is usually good for 3 days before the satellites change positions.

jope this data helps

Originally posted by yaozer View Post
                              Gang,

I've just started using Garmin Mobile XT on my new phone recently, it really works smoothly together with the great standard map I got from this forum. I am really surprised it's working so well considering it is more of a phone than a GPS. I've researched on A-GPS on the net, and found out that assisted GPS uses some network carrier data to function. I tried looking for discussions on GPS with the Xperia, but found none (except for a YouTube entry). I've read that Nokia N95 users see their phones connecting to GPRS or HSDPA in order to get these necessary data. But with the Xperia and Garmin, I don't see my phone connecting to any of these services (GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, etc.) but it could still find where I am. I tried to check on my Globe unbilled items via 2312 but it only showed me my voice calls and SMS totals. I was curious to know whether I've incurred some data charges but it didn't show.

So question 1 is, do you think the N95 connects to data services because it uses Google Maps, and that if it uses Garmin it doesn't need to connect to data services anymore? I'm not really sure what type of A-GPS the Xperia has (I've read that there are 4 types), I hope it is the Standalone type.

Question 2, if the phone doesn't show it is connecting/connected to data services, does that mean it it is IMPOSSIBLE for it to download data? Or can it do it in the background?

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Hey travelbug,

Yup we are in the same train of thought, that is why I have reiterated in my latest entry (for this thread, before your reply) that QuickGPS does help in downloading Ephemeris data, which 'eliminates' the need for an Xperia X1i to try and grab this piece of info from other sources (i.e. GPRS, etc.). And I have proven that it really did prevent possible unwanted charges because Globe didn't charge a cent.

Yup I also use Advanced Configuration Tools 3.3, it has the option of turning off A-GPS. But for me, QuickGPS is way cooler, does what it's supposed to do perfectly. Not sure if the Omnia has this software bundled, I think it only comes with HTC built devices like the X1i, Touch Pro, Diamond, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X