Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agps

yaozer

we dont have the quickgps program in the omnia what does it do?
    there is an intereseting hack for the omnia that allows it acquire gps fixes withut the aid of agps. some users have reported fixes in less than a mintue for a cold start. as far as i know it will work for other winmo gps enabled phones.
    this site details how for anyone interested:

http://www.pspmyspace.com/omnia/2008...out-phone.html

regards

Originally posted by yaozer View Post
    Hey travelbug,

Yup we are in the same train of thought, that is why I have reiterated in my latest entry (for this thread, before your reply) that QuickGPS does help in downloading Ephemeris data, which 'eliminates' the need for an Xperia X1i to try and grab this piece of info from other sources (i.e. GPRS, etc.). And I have proven that it really did prevent possible unwanted charges because Globe didn't charge a cent.

Yup I also use Advanced Configuration Tools 3.3, it has the option of turning off A-GPS. But for me, QuickGPS is way cooler, does what it's supposed to do perfectly. Not sure if the Omnia has this software bundled, I think it only comes with HTC built devices like the X1i, Touch Pro, Diamond, etc.

Comment

travelbug,

The QuickGPS program can download Ephemeris data (satellite locations data) off HTC's servers, and is valid (ideally) for 7 days, though I've set up QuickGPS to activate the download whenever I connect it to my computer, and I also manually activate it whenever I have a free internet connection, especially if I'm planning a trip. Because of this little program, I don't need to wait for my phone to realize that it has expired data and activate a download session via GPRS or other data services when I'm on the road. My TTFF ranges between 30 seconds to around 2 minutes max, and if I turn Garmin on every time I drive, the next time I turn it on, I get a signal under 10 seconds.

I'm actually looking for a program that works like this for my Nokia E71, but couldn't find one.

Comment

My TTFF ranges between 30 seconds to around 2 minutes max, and if I turn Garmin on every time I drive, the next time I turn it on, I get a signal under 10 seconds.
        That is fast. So far the fastest TTFF that i've tested came from an N82. Even gets signal inside the house for a while. My GPS 10x BT's TTFF is under 2 mins but never under 10 secs, even if Garmin was recently turned off/on...

Comment

Yes Borgie I'm quite ecstatic about the Xperia's performance so far. I could not believe how well it works with Garmin and GPS as a whole. It can lock on to a signal quite fast as long as I'm outside (AND with fresh data from QuickGPS). It hardly locks on indoors except if the room has a thin ceiling. I'm quite satisfied with the Xperia's other aspects as well, though its video acceleration is way below my previous Dopod 838Pro phone. Watching Lost Season 5 on the phone is not as smooth

Comment

Yup, QuickGPS does make a big difference. My brother's HTC Tytn II with QuickGPS downloads data valid for 5 days. Only problem is if he's unable to update or download new data, it's difficult for his HTC to get a good sat. fix.

Have you heard feedbacks from Samsung phones with aGPS? How good are they compared to Nokia and other brands discussed here?

Comment

omnia agps

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
              Yup, QuickGPS does make a big difference. My brother's HTC Tytn II with QuickGPS downloads data valid for 5 days. Only problem is if he's unable to update or download new data, it's difficult for his HTC to get a good sat. fix.

Have you heard feedbacks from Samsung phones with aGPS? How good are they compared to Nokia and other brands discussed here?

the samasung omnia locks in at around 2 mins with agps enabled. it locks on pretty well but i lose signal under big bridges which is normal i think
              i use both garmin and maplking.and it seems like i get more consistent locks with mapking but i use garmin more bec of roadguides map

Comment

How about the SGH-i780 and other SGH series phones with aGPS? Anyone tried these phones? They're selling below 20k in our place but they don't sell as fast as Nokia's...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post

I'm not quite familiar with Samsung's phones, but a good friend of mine just bought an Omnia, I might drop a note to him, he's currently in the US. (travelbug also uses one) As for Nokia aGPS, I tried my sister's N78, it had problems locking onto signals. Once it gets its signal, moving a few meters via car would cut it off again, very very annoying. Not sure about this, but I think its "radio" is not very strong. This, of course, does not speak for all Nokia models, my E71 is quite decent, but my Xperia is still loads faster compared to it.

Comment

omnia

I'm not quite familiar with Samsung's phones, but a good friend of mine just bought an Omnia, I might drop a note to him, he's currently in the US. (travelbug also uses one) As for Nokia aGPS, I tried my sister's N78, it had problems locking onto signals. Once it gets its signal, moving a few meters via car would cut it off again, very very annoying. Not sure about this, but I think its "radio" is not very strong. This, of course, does not speak for all Nokia models, my E71 is quite decent, but my Xperia is still loads faster compared to it.
                    yaozer we do have a program for the omnia similar to quick gps but it is called xtra and it has the same functionality
                    ive been using garmin quite often and have noticed a decrease in lock on times since i upgraded my rom week ago.
                    i get a fix within 2 min of a cold start and bet 2 to 10 secs there after
                    without agps i takes maybe 5 min
                    but with the fix i mentioned above people have been getting vert good results like less than a minute on cold starts
                    maybe the guy with th tytn should try that fix as far as i know it woks on all winmo phones

a bit off topic but with regards to the experias video,maybe you should try using a different media player. i suggest you try core player. i get very vivid almost hd like video from my omnia when it is configured properly and i know the video specs of the experia are higher

i wonder if anyone here is also on an omnia
                    cheers

Comment

OT, but would anyone be selling an X1, kahit second hand? Got offered an Omnia from Smart but am a SonyEricsson dude through and through..

Interested to try the tracking functions also, does Garmin XT have a backtrack function? My old Magellan has one and has proved to be useful many times over, and it sucks that my Nuvi doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by travelbug View Post
                        a bit off topic but with regards to the experias video,maybe you should try using a different media player. i suggest you try core player. i get very vivid almost hd like video from my omnia when it is configured properly and i know the video specs of the experia are higher

i wonder if anyone here is also on an omnia
                        cheers
                        Travelbug, I do have Coreplayer (was also using this nice app since my Dopod 838Pro days, even used its earlier version, TCPMP, before), but it exhibits lag when used on the Xperia. The problem was about licensing boo-boos of the Qualcomm processor video acceleration, it seems HTC and/or Sony Ericsson didn't want to pay for its general activation, that is why only the OEM apps Xperia Media Panel and Windows Media Player have video acceleration. I'm currently using an encoder I got from the xda-developers forum that converts any video (any codec) to a "super" mp4, it has optimized settings for viewing on the Xperia. It works perfectly, no lag at all, and is viewed in 800x480 resolution. I'm quite satisfied with this program,though it's a pain to convert first before being able to view it. I know the Omnia doesn't have this Coreplayer lag problem, and I believe Coreplayer's performance is at its highest when used on the Omnia. You had it easy

Comment

Travelbug, I do have Coreplayer (was also using this nice app since my Dopod 838Pro days, even used its earlier version, TCPMP, before), but it exhibits lag when used on the Xperia. The problem was about licensing boo-boos of the Qualcomm processor video acceleration, it seems HTC and/or Sony Ericsson didn't want to pay for its general activation, that is why only the OEM apps Xperia Media Panel and Windows Media Player have video acceleration. I'm currently using an encoder I got from the xda-developers forum that converts any video (any codec) to a "super" mp4, it has optimized settings for viewing on the Xperia. It works perfectly, no lag at all, and is viewed in 800x480 resolution. I'm quite satisfied with this program,though it's a pain to convert first before being able to view it. I know the Omnia doesn't have this Coreplayer lag problem, and I believe Coreplayer's performance is at its highest when used on the Omnia. You had it easy

wow that is a drag man considering that the experia is a winmo phone and its most touted feature is its video capabilities.
                          i saw it in action though and hanep ang screen. your right though about he omnia and core player - the engine seems to be optimized for the omnias processor so super smooth ang videos.
                          maybe you should try a customized rom to unlock your phones features
                          i suggest modaco.com as xdadevelopers can get too techie sometimes and their emphasis is really on the htc phones.

cheers

Comment

Travelbug, using cooked ROMs won't unlock the Qualcomm processor's video acceleration capabilities. This licensing problem has been there since the HTC Tytn II (the Dopod 838Pro is equivalent to the Tytn I, so video/3D acceleration was present). The HTC Touch HD also has this "problem", so the people at xda-developers (projection and tnyynt spearheaded this) made a small encoder program to convert videos to Touch HD and Xperia optimized mp4's. The Xperia plays great under this format (using Media Player). If I try playing this same video file with Coreplayer, the frame rate would be 1 frame per 5 seconds, but the sound is okay.

I'm into really technical stuffs that's why the xda-developers forum is the way to go for me I learned a lot reading the threads there By the way, the Xperia was built by HTC for Sony Ericsson, so technically it is also an HTC device. It has a separate section dedicated to it in the xda-developer's forum.

Comment

Guys, let's try to limit the use of this board to GPS/map related matters.

Yes this the Smartphone/PDA thread but this thread concerns the use of such devices as a GPS rx.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi amf,

Sorry for the OT, we'll just continue via PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X