Samsung Galaxy S2 Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yaozer View Post
    Not sure, but I'm more inclined to think that the GPS has its own internal clock, and that the timestamp it gets from the NTP servers go to where ever that internal clock resides (I don't know if it is software or hardware based).
    But wouldn't this time stamp have to be compared to the present time to triangulate the satellites?
    For example if you download your ephemeris 3 hours ago, the application would triangulate their positions based on the internal clock on the phone.

Sent from my samsung galaxy s2 using tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by travelbug View Post
      But wouldn't this time stamp have to be compared to the present time to triangulate the satellites?
      For example if you download your ephemeris 3 hours ago, the application would triangulate their positions based on the internal clock on the phone.

Sent from my samsung galaxy s2 using tapatalk
      Not an expert, but I still believe the GPS has its own clock. The question is, if it also counts in real time or not. If it does count, then it doesn't need to compare with the phone's internal clock, it would just continue on counting basing it on the new timestamp, and base the satellite positions with it. It sort of acts like a tiny atomic clock (albeit not as accurate as the one in the satellites, thus requiring us to download ephemeris every 3-5 days), and only gets reset every time we download ephemeris data. If it doesn't count, I believe the moment it receives a new timestamp, it would also get the internal clock's time, so the GPS can put them in the same starting point, on the same page, so to say. Later it can compute the scalar difference more accurately using the GPS' pacing formula, not the internal clock's. Using your example, this scalar difference is 3hours. I hope I'm making sense, if not, just diregard this reply hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by yaozer View Post
        Not an expert, but I still believe the GPS has its own clock. The question is, if it also counts in real time or not. If it does count, then it doesn't need to compare with the phone's internal clock, it would just continue on counting basing it on the new timestamp, and base the satellite positions with it. It sort of acts like a tiny atomic clock (albeit not as accurate as the one in the satellites, thus requiring us to download ephemeris every 3-5 days), and only gets reset every time we download ephemeris data. If it doesn't count, I believe the moment it receives a new timestamp, it would also get the internal clock's time, so the GPS can put them in the same starting point, on the same page, so to say. Later it can compute the scalar difference more accurately using the GPS' pacing formula, not the internal clock's. Using your example, this scalar difference is 3hours. I hope I'm making sense, if not, just diregard this reply hehehe
        i see, now i understand what you mean by it has its own internal clock.
        seems like a very logical and plausible 'theory'. thanks

Comment

Hi guys, i hope you can help me out.

I'm asking just in case you have any experience on this or at least some idea. I tried the 30-day trial of Navitel on my Asus Eee pad Transformer and it worked fine. However, when I tried Navitel on my GALAXY SII, i can't see any waypoints. When i try to do a search all the letters and grayed out. I can, however, search using address. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by hot ice View Post
            Hi guys, i hope you can help me out.

I'm asking just in case you have any experience on this or at least some idea. I tried the 30-day trial of Navitel on my Asus Eee pad Transformer and it worked fine. However, when I tried Navitel on my GALAXY SII, i can't see any waypoints. When i try to do a search all the letters and grayed out. I can, however, search using address. Any ideas?
            hmmm, my install worked right off the bat without any tweaking of options. maybe should try reinstalling it first.

Comment

That's why I'm surprised. When I go to the FIND option and click on WAYPOINTS, i can't type anything. Works fine on my Transformer.. I might try that option later.

Comment

That's why I'm surprised. When I go to the FIND option and click on WAYPOINTS, i can't type anything. Works fine on my Transformer.. I might try that option later.
                Im eating my own words. Downloaded the 30 day trial on my transformer and i now am not able to go to FIND > WAYPOINTS on it as well. All letters are grayed out. I could have sworn it worked before. What could i be soing wrong?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Comment

HotIce,

Try to download user's manual:
                  http://www.navitel.asia/download.html

It is found at the bottom of the page.

I am not 100% sure but you should double check the procedure and what you are trying to achieve. Most notably is that you are using the term Waypoint, which are things that we as users have to save first.

If you are trying to search for a POI, then you should do:
                  Find
                  Nearest Places
                  All
                  Then type the place you are trying to find

Take note that in Navitel the keyboard is "smart" it will grey out letters that does not apply anymore. For example if there are no entries starting with the letter X, then X will be Grayed out. If there is only 1 POI for Xray for example, after you press X then all the rest of the letters are grayed out except a, r and y. If you press X and then R, it will already say there is no such POI in the file.

TTFN
                  Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                    HotIce,

Try to download user's manual:
                    http://www.navitel.asia/download.html

It is found at the bottom of the page.

I am not 100% sure but you should double check the procedure and what you are trying to achieve. Most notably is that you are using the term Waypoint, which are things that we as users have to save first.

If you are trying to search for a POI, then you should do:
                    Find
                    Nearest Places
                    All
                    Then type the place you are trying to find

Take note that in Navitel the keyboard is "smart" it will grey out letters that does not apply anymore. For example if there are no entries starting with the letter X, then X will be Grayed out. If there is only 1 POI for Xray for example, after you press X then all the rest of the letters are grayed out except a, r and y. If you press X and then R, it will already say there is no such POI in the file.

TTFN
                    Arvin

Thank you so much sir. I've tried to read the manual but skipped directly to the instructions for finding a WAYPOINT.

You are spot on, I'm trying to search for POIs, and you have solved my problem. I kept on reading about WAYPOINTS that I didn't bother to see what exactly I was trying to do. When going to search for nearest places, I never thought of tapping on the Magnifying icon and instead just narrowed down on the category until it gave me what i needed.

Thanks, I'm now enjoying my SGS2 with this GPS software. I just recently let go of my Nokia N8 in favor of this new toy.

Comment

i thought i posted this a week ago but apparently,i didnt.

anyways,ive updated my rom to villainrom 3, which is based on gingerbread 2.3.5. aside from the better quality sound, the most striking feature of this update is the faster gps locking.
                      when it would take me between 1-10minutes to get a usable lock on navitel and gps status, i can now get the same in 5-30 secs, usually in the 5-15 second mark.
                      its still a far cry from my dad's samsung galaxy tab 10.1 that can get locks in 5 secs indoors, but its still a vast improvement over 2.4.2.

i did not change my modem or kernel, so im quite sure the change is attributable to the rom itself. although i havent tested it, i think that the new gps lock is present in any rom using gb 2.3.5

cheers

Comment

i thought i posted this a week ago but apparently,i didnt.

anyways,ive updated my rom to villainrom 3, which is based on gingerbread 2.3.5. aside from the better quality sound, the most striking feature of this update is the faster gps locking.
                        when it would take me between 1-10minutes to get a usable lock on navitel and gps status, i can now get the same in 5-30 secs, usually in the 5-15 second mark.
                        its still a far cry from my dad's samsung galaxy tab 10.1 that can get locks in 5 secs indoors, but its still a vast improvement over 2.4.2.

i did not change my modem or kernel, so im quite sure the change is attributable to the rom itself. although i havent tested it, i think that the new gps lock is present in any rom using gb 2.3.5

cheers
                        Did you have PACKET DATA enabled when testing? also what software did you use on the galaxy tab and was the tab connected to a wifi network when you timed it?

Comment

Did you have PACKET DATA enabled when testing? also what software did you use on the galaxy tab and was the tab connected to a wifi network when you timed it?

i used google maps on the tab and navitel on the sgs2. both were not connected to wifi/data. i dont know how to switch packet data so both were at default settings.

Comment

i used google maps on the tab and navitel on the sgs2. both were not connected to wifi/data. i dont know how to switch packet data so both were at default settings.
                            I think default for packet data on our sgs2 is on, so id you havent changed it, it is likely on.

Comment

i think the tab performs better because it may have larger/longer antennas.

Comment

Yeah, tabs are bigger, so they have more space to place necessary modules. Like what I have mentioned before, my wife's Galaxy Tab 7 locks pretty fast, puts my S2 to shame. Recently, my sister bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1, and as expected, locks pretty fast too, similar to the Tab 7.

Comment

Working...
                                X