buying GPS: Smartphone vs. (garmin) GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alpha-q View Post
    Hehe dont be tempted mabubuwisit ka lang dahil pag ginamit mo yung gps mo then may tumawag minsan naghahang lahat and you will have to restart it.

High tech phones sometimes are too complicated and tend to be slow that's why i sold my tytn ii and still uses my old model 6110 and 8910.
    Better to get the not-so-high-end GPS phones then like the N95 or E71... haven't experienced (yet) hanging when somebody calls while using XT or when responding to a text msg in my E71...

Comment

Htc 3g

Originally posted by alpha-q View Post
      Hehe dont be tempted mabubuwisit ka lang dahil pag ginamit mo yung gps mo then may tumawag minsan naghahang lahat and you will have to restart it.

High tech phones sometimes are too complicated and tend to be slow that's why i sold my tytn ii and still uses my old model 6110 and 8910.
      I never encountered any hang up or freeze ng GPS phone na gamit ko even when I receive calls or SMS. Only takes less than 10 sec to get a sat lock and just few days ago, I installed Google maps, very cool, only problem is it uses GPRS for the realtime download of maps same as you would on google earth. Have my HTC since January and still no regret as of today,

Comment

Originally posted by johnny2467 View Post
        I never encountered any hang up or freeze ng GPS phone na gamit ko even when I receive calls or SMS. Only takes less than 10 sec to get a sat lock and just few days ago, I installed Google maps, very cool, only problem is it uses GPRS for the realtime download of maps same as you would on google earth. Have my HTC since January and still no regret as of today,
        Well its just happened to me once. I always try to love a windows mobile phone but i always end up selling them. It is so slow compared to my trusty palm OS.

Comment

I've upgraded the e90 to the latest firmware v400.xx.xx. For 2 weeks now, I haven't encountered any hang-ups when I received a call while using garmin xt. Prior to upgrade, there are instances when the phone would hang when using garmin xt and a call (or an sms came in). v400.xx.xx seem to handle multitasking a lot better.

FYI to e90 users.

Comment

Originally posted by jetro View Post
            I've upgraded the e90 to the latest firmware v400.xx.xx. For 2 weeks now, I haven't encountered any hang-ups when I received a call while using garmin xt. Prior to upgrade, there are instances when the phone would hang when using garmin xt and a call (or an sms came in). v400.xx.xx seem to handle multitasking a lot better.

FYI to e90 users.
            Yep. V400 is much more stable now compared to the lower versions.

Never yet experienced MobileXT hangin up on me..

And mobileXT is running in the backround while I'm replying to this thread.
            Last edited by edsailormoon; 08-07-2009, 17:12.
            We got some places to see...I brought all the maps with me...So jump right in...Ain't no sin...Take a ride in my machine.

- Freeway Of Love (Pink Cadillac), Aretha Franklin

Comment

I've been using my Nuvi 260W for a while now. I can't imagine using GPS on a cellphone. I'm already used to the 4.3" screen.

If you can buy the unit from the US, the choice is even easier. The 260W cost only P8,000. It comes with a car adaptor and mounting unit.

Comment

In my opinion buying a dedicated GPS is better.. It's a hassle when you are in the middle of marking a waypoint and then somebody calls you or the phone locks up on you... Right now I'm using a Samsung Omnia and it does hang occasionally.. so I decided to purchase a 265WT on ebay... hopefully it will arrive next week and I'm back in business...

Comment

Originally posted by razorspells View Post
                  In my opinion buying a dedicated GPS is better.. It's a hassle when you are in the middle of marking a waypoint and then somebody calls you or the phone locks up on you... Right now I'm using a Samsung Omnia and it does hang occasionally.. so I decided to purchase a 265WT on ebay... hopefully it will arrive next week and I'm back in business...
                  Wow, congrats on your purchase. *Inggit*

For me I'll stick with my E90 pa. The inner screen is ok na for navigation and the outer screen is enough na rin for pedestrian navigation.

The way I can just tilt the screen 90 degrees and place my phone on my dashboard for handsfree navigation is a plus tho.

From what I've heard, the E90 has dual core processor, one that handles telephony and the other for applications. Here's a link of the review: Nokia E90 or E71

Just my 2 cents..
                  Last edited by edsailormoon; 08-11-2009, 19:32.
                  We got some places to see...I brought all the maps with me...So jump right in...Ain't no sin...Take a ride in my machine.

- Freeway Of Love (Pink Cadillac), Aretha Franklin

Comment

Thanks edsailormoon...

Originally posted by edsailormoon View Post
                    Wow, congrats on your purchase. *Inggit*

For me I'll stick with my E90 pa. The inner screen is ok na for navigation and the outer screen is enough na rin for pedestrian navigation.

The way I can just tilt the screen 90 degrees and place my phone on my dashboard for handsfree navigation is a plus tho.

From what I've heard, the E90 has dual core processor, one that handles telephony and the other for applications. Here's a link of the review: Nokia E90 or E71

Just my 2 cents..

Comment

just got my 265WT today.. marking waypoints just got better than using my samsung omnia..

Comment

Working...
                      X