Overpriced Garmin Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by razorspells View Post
    I agree with pokz the post office fee is just P35.00 and is the best option.

My 265WT is due to arrive this week. I bought it from ebay at $221 + 34.95 shipping, roughly 12k. Shipping is through USPS Priority Mail International Parcels. I also haven't lost a single item with them for the longest time that I have been buying on ebay...

Also if you use FedEx or DHL you will pay additional custom taxes..
    This happened to me when I bought 4 books at amazon.. I paid custom fees to DHL worth P2319.60

So if you have patience try the post office option.
    You didnt get to pay custom taxes aside from 35pesos with 12k worth? 50 dollars worth of goods are subject to taxes and post offices how did you do it?

Comment

Yes I'm aware of this since I buy items from ebay all the time but I have not been charged yet. I only pay the 35 pesos fee. That's it.. and if they do charge me taxes it's still low compared to the store that I saw and would still save a whole lot more.. coz I also asked the price of the 265wt which during that time they don't stock it and it will be by order basis only and they gave me a quote of 35k.. Wow! this is too much! So in my case and humble opinion.. ebay is still the best way for me...

Also the Nuvi 760 on that store which is a discontinued model cost 21,500 pesos..Wow!
      I checked the prices on ebay today 10/3/2009 and the 760 (refurbished) - $185.90, roughly 8,723.36 pesos, rate at 46.925 today. So there you go..!

Originally posted by alpha-q View Post
      You didnt get to pay custom taxes aside from 35pesos with 12k worth? 50 dollars worth of goods are subject to taxes and post offices how did you do it?
      Last edited by razorspells; 10-03-2009, 12:18. Reason: added more info

Comment

So, what's their point in selling these products at exaggerated prices? I know its business, but why too much sirs? To recover freight costs or simply profiteering?

Comment

Originally posted by Gruffles View Post
          So, what's their point in selling these products at exaggerated prices? I know its business, but why too much sirs? To recover freight costs or simply profiteering?
          hi sir,

i guess in a way... just tofool people who doesnt know

as a come on, they will say that their unit is equipt with philippine map.
          but actually the map is free here
          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

You have the following options and have indicated my personal experience:

1. Post office. True P35 only. Long wait. I usually use this for small inexpensive items I order from the internet or from eBay, and am in no rush. As many indicated, customs in the post office could be unpredictable.

2. Use a forwarder. JBS Express. They charge based on volume weight or actual weight, whichever is higher. Cost from US is about P650/kg, minimum 2kgs. No taxes. Delivers door to door if within Metro Manila. Usually gets to me 5 days from the time their office in California gets it. They also have HK and Singapore service. I use this when I order expensive items from the net or from ebay winnings. Downside is that if the items comes in a small box or you get several boxes, they charge on a per package basis.

3. POBox.ph. Haven't tried them but my bro in law did. They consolidate shipments for you. Charges based on size of box. 3-4 weeks delivery.

4. Relatives. Best deal. Allows you to buy more stuff and have them consolidate it and ship it via Balikbayan or padala via returning or visiting relatives. 4-6 weeks if coming from the East Coast. I use my sister to ship me heavy auto parts like brake rotors and stuff.

5. DHL/UPS/FEDEX. Avoid using them. Every item is subjected to customs inspection and funny charges. Use them only when sending documents like installation guides or manuals.

Hope this helps.
            Last edited by Hardright; 10-23-2009, 01:10.

Comment

hi Hardright, Thanks for the info regarding #2. Haven't use that before. I will try it next time

Originally posted by Hardright View Post
              2. Use a forwarder. JBS Express. They charge based on volume weight or actual weight, whichever is higher. Cost from US is about P650/kg, minimum 2kgs. No taxes. Delivers door to door if within Metro Manila. Usually gets to me 5 days from the time their office in California gets it. They also have HK and Singapore service. I use this when I order expensive items from the net or from ebay winnings. Downside is that if the items comes in a small box or you get several boxes, they charge on a per package basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardright View Post
                You have the following options and have indicated my personal experience:

1. Post office. True P35 only. Long wait. I usually use this for small inexpensive items I order from the internet or from eBay, and am in no rush. As many indicated, customs in the post office could be unpredictable.

3. POBox.ph. Haven't tried them but my bro in law did. They consolidate shipments for you. Charges based on size of box. 3-4 weeks delivery.

4. Relatives. Best deal. Allows you to buy more stuff and have them consolidate it and ship it via Balikbayan or padala via returning or visiting relatives. 4-6 weeks if coming from the East Coast. I use my sister to ship me heavy auto parts like brake rotors and stuff.

5. DHL/UPS/FEDEX. Avoid using them. Every item is subjected to customs inspection and funny charges. Use them only when sending documents like installation guides or manuals.

Hope this helps.
                thanks for sharing this, sir hardright.
                will definitely try JBS.
                FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

DHL, UPS etc offer tracking. one trick, ask the seller to declare item at a lower value, or "warranty replacement"
                  no waypoint left unturned

Comment

Hardright said: "Use a forwarder. JBS Express"

Google brings up a company supplying natural stone in Texas.

How about "JBS Logistics" Is this the one?
                    I stay on the leading edge of obsolescence!!
                    "It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not take risk cannot win" John Paul Jones

Comment

Manila Forwarders

Has anyone ever used them?

Comment

Just wanted to share some pics of Garmin devices at Greenhills Shopping Center...

Comment

found a local Garmin seller on this site... Prices are great, not to mention the 1-year warranty. The site is still under construction but you can ask for a pricelist through email.

http://www.navco.com.ph

Comment

i hate overpriced anything.

Comment

Working...
                            X