Eatery enroute to Bicol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eatery enroute to Bicol

As a traveler to Bicol,we normally took breakfast or lunch at Litas eatery in Gumaca-coming fr Manila (most of the motorist dine here- I have no intention to advertise this place though) This is approx one (1) hr coming from Lucena-Total Gas stn. Then it would take another hour to reach intersection Of Andaya Highway(you decide either to go via Daet or take the Andaya highway aka Quirino highway-which is about approx 2 hrs to reach Sipocot). Depending on your body clock you might need to take a lunch/dinner when you are travelling along Almeda hiway , a restaurant named "Mikainan" might be a candidate (no intent to promote or advertise-just helping/sharing fellow Roaguiders where to look for reasonable/clean food-although there are other restaurant along the highway). see attachment photo and gdb file(uploaded already wpt)
    Attached Files

Little bit OT, but I'm planning a trip to Samar very very soon, I'd like to ask what route do you guys recommend to take? from what I understand no one takes the Bitukang Manok route anymore?

Kuya JS, hehehe, you don't have to make disclaimers about those establishments, because you are actually in fact advertising or promoting them already anyway, just say " you are not affiliated with them".

I have no idea if I will be able to visit any of these as I plan to leave quite early in the morning to beat the Metro Manila and Batangas area traffic, wonder if they are open 24 hours?

By the way, how are we with the WPs along the Maharlika highway in terms of Hospitals, Police and Gas Stations? Are we fully covered? Reason I ask is two folds, one is to not waste my time saving WPs of the three which will turn out to be covered anyway (my GPSR does not show all the POIs while navigating), and the second one is so that in case of emergency I'd be able to use the where am I feature easily

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
      Little bit OT, but I'm planning a trip to Samar very very soon, I'd like to ask what route do you guys recommend to take? from what I understand no one takes the Bitukang Manok route anymore?

Kuya JS, hehehe, you don't have to make disclaimers about those establishments, because you are actually in fact advertising or promoting them already anyway, just say " you are not affiliated with them".

I have no idea if I will be able to visit any of these as I plan to leave quite early in the morning to beat the Metro Manila and Batangas area traffic, wonder if they are open 24 hours?

By the way, how are we with the WPs along the Maharlika highway in terms of Hospitals, Police and Gas Stations? Are we fully covered? Reason I ask is two folds, one is to not waste my time saving WPs of the three which will turn out to be covered anyway (my GPSR does not show all the POIs while navigating), and the second one is so that in case of emergency I'd be able to use the where am I feature easily

TTFN
      Arvin
      Mostl of the private motorist takes the Bitukang manok unless you are driving a bus or truck , its in the gps EME and you will not miss it (hopefully) coz southbound if you take the first ramp, this is the route going to Bondoc peninsula(do not take this). take the next ramp after few meters .

Leave early but be cautious with sleepy truck /bus drivers. Some restaurants are open/some are not, taking the Maharlika , I would say most of the critical wpts are there. I have tested it yesterday in "where am I feature" of our gpsr locating the hospitals, police so pretty accurate.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, will try Bitukang Manok, I haven't been through there for some time now I think, last time I took the bus.

Will check my map about that ramp that you mentioned, wonder if routing will kick in and help me take the correct route, we'll see.

Oh and my question was about the Eateries you mentioned, would they be open 24 hours or not? The ones that you ere not advertising

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

Thanks for the tip, will try Bitukang Manok, I haven't been through there for some time now I think, last time I took the bus.

Will check my map about that ramp that you mentioned, wonder if routing will kick in and help me take the correct route, we'll see.

Oh and my question was about the Eateries you mentioned, would they be open 24 hours or not? The ones that you ere not advertising

TTFN
          Arvin
          I'm not sure. Time to reach Sipocot is approx an hour t and Sipocot to Naga City is approx 45 mins. So you have a choice to look for better eatery in Naga City.

Comment

hi arvin.
            bitukang manok or eme pass will save you around 8km and patience on slow moving trucks and buses. those 8km will become 16km as you cant pass the slow moving trucks on zigzags.
            its perfectly safe to take bitukang manok even tricycles can go up there.
            theres 2 killer curves one uphill and one downhill, residents act as traffic guides, just dont forget to drop some coins.
            hth.
            other notes:
            1. bitukang manok or eme pass is located after pagbilao town.
            you wont miss it, i think theres a junction poi for it.
            2. leave early to avoid traffic jam from calamba to san pablo. i usually leave at 4am fr pasig when driving to bicol.
            3. in naga city, look for oyster house resto, its in the map. or if you want fastfood, try bigg's, its the local version of jollibee or mcdo. try their cheeseburger and tendeloin tips.
            4. if you want an alternate route, take manila east rd from antipolo to pagsanjan town of laguna, passing thru towns of pililia, famy, pakil, paete, lumban. from pagsanjan drive to pagbilao passing the towns of cavinti, lucban and tayabas.
            FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Thanks Kuyas!

Reiji, wait! tossing coins to the locals who act as traffic guides! That just rang some alarm bells! Is it rough roads? Or just very narrow that everyone has to slow down?

Didn't know that Bitukang Manok is now called EME

Thanks for the infos!

TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

Thanks Kuyas!

Reiji, wait! tossing coins to the locals who act as traffic guides! That just rang some alarm bells! Is it rough roads? Or just very narrow that everyone has to slow down?

Thanks for the infos!

TTFN
                Arvin
                Yes, toss coin for the assistance, they are of big help(specially at night) . Not rough road, 2 lanes only. Before I forget, you have to anticipate stopping (yield to incoming uphill vehicles ) at wrong side of the road meaning if you are going downhill, you might stop at the left side of the road just to give way to upcoming vehicles. Yes this is being practice and some new drivers might be confuse by sticking to right of lane resulting to a accident.
                Last edited by jspalaroan; 11-03-2010, 11:38. Reason: add words

Comment

Thanks Kuyas!

Thanks for the infos!

TTFN
                  Arvin
                  zigzag but not rough road.
                  official name is EME even before, but bitukang manok is more popular.
                  EME is for M bec. zigzag there looks like an M.
                  sir jsp is right, if youre going downhill and stopped by the guides, you should stay at left side of road to give leeway for uphill climbing vehicles.

Comment

Bigg's

i will also confirm the KEEP LEFT rule when stopping in downhill for the steep roads with sharp curve. and don't worry, the local folks who do the traffic are very experienced at this. and don't forget to drop them some coins, this is their consolation for doing this. no need to give it by hand, just drop them on the road.
                    and also remember to give way for vehicles that are going up.

Comment

drop them coin... like how much is the average?
                      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                        drop them coin... like how much is the average?
                        P3 to P5, problem is they are too many , from Start to finish, maybe about 10 to 15 locations (left & right) on the entire length. I just treat it as just like a toll fee

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
                          P3 to P5, problem is they are too many , from Start to finish, maybe about 10 to 15 locations (left & right) on the entire length. I just treat it as just like a toll fee
                          yes some are like beggars na...i only drop on those who are in strategic locations which can really help the motorists.

Comment

EME is for M bec. zigzag there looks like an M.
                            Still didn't get that Kuya Reiji, why EME again?

You guys just scared me enough to actually decide to go through the other route instead The only zig zag road that I am used to going up and down in is the Ligaya drive from tagaytay to Talisay in Taal, never needed any help or needed to give way like that! Maybe less scary in the morning right?

TTFN
                            Arvin

Comment

Still didn't get that Kuya Reiji, why EME again?

You guys just scared me enough to actually decide to go through the other route instead The only zig zag road that I am used to going up and down in is the Ligaya drive from tagaytay to Talisay in Taal, never needed any help or needed to give way like that! Maybe less scary in the morning right?

TTFN
                              Arvin
                              take the eme pass. good fun!
                              well on a bike it is...
                              the detour is boring. plus thats how the busses and trucks go....
                              How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Working...
                              X