No announcement yet.

garmin 1300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i finally received my nuvi 1300 from U.S. today.

how can i delete the preloaded maps on my unit?i'm a little bit scared since i don't want to accidentally delete files that are important to run the gps.
    Last edited by tribal; 12-04-2011, 21:23.

Comment

If I may suggest, don't delete your built in map, who knows you or someone you know might have plans to go to the US in the future, you can still use it.

Buy a very affordable microSD card instead and install all other maps like RG maps in the microSD.

If you really want to delete the preinstalled map, please post again

It is as simple as just deleting one file though, it's an img file and the biggest file in your GPSR to boot!

TTFN
      Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
        If I may suggest, don't delete your built in map, who knows you or someone you know might have plans to go to the US in the future, you can still use it.

Buy a very affordable microSD card instead and install all other maps like RG maps in the microSD.

If you really want to delete the preinstalled map, please post again

It is as simple as just deleting one file though, it's an img file and the biggest file in your GPSR to boot!

TTFN
        Arvin
        I'm already decided to remove the preloaded maps of US since im sure that im not going to US hehe.

where could i buy an ac adapter to charge the unit. Is it 110 or 220v?

i already tried the gps this morning, and its not accurate when it comes to exact address

Comment

Originally posted by tribal View Post
          where could i buy an ac adapter to charge the unit. Is it 110 or 220v?

i already tried the gps this morning, and its not accurate when it comes to exact address
          if you use a PC or laptop during office hours, you can use the USB cable of your digicam to connect the unit to PC to charge it, and therefore no need to buy the ac adapter, imo.

as regards to exact address accuracy, that's very difficult for the mappers to incorporate in the map as house/address number sequence is inconsistent and even non-existent in some areas. best to just find a landmark poi nearest the street address you are looking for and start from there... hth

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
            if you use a PC or laptop during office hours, you can use the USB cable of your digicam to connect the unit to PC to charge it, and therefore no need to buy the ac adapter, imo.

as regards to exact address accuracy, that's very difficult for the mappers to incorporate in the map as house/address number sequence is inconsistent and even non-existent in some areas. best to just find a landmark poi nearest the street address you are looking for and start from there... hth
            so the unit is charging when it is connected to any computer like cellphone?coz i cant check if it was charging since i cant open the unit if its connected to pc

need to learn more thing about using the unit...

Comment

Can someone post the exact file name of the built in map for Tribal to delete, sorry I just left my GPSR in my car just now. it's the xxxxrom.img and it should be in the .system folder I imagine.

Regarding charger, yes as Kuya Borgie said while your unit is plugged in the computer it will be charged. If you insist in charging with a wall charger, a charger with a USB output will do, cdrKing for example, or those adaptors that have USB ports to charge ipods and cellphones.

To answer your questions, though I agree with the others that you should re read the FAQ.....

Put a waypoint ontop of the closed or non existing anymore places and then enter as name of waypoint "Delete + why" example "Delete closed shop" or "Delete changed location already", etc. Collect as much Waypoints or edits are you can, save them all in just one file and then upload. You can open multiple instance of Mapsource so you can cut and paste them in just one file.

Please, please make sure that delete info is accurate, it is worse (I think it is a mortal sin) to delete a waypoint that someone contributed which actually still exists. That is why i always double check accuracy of such a delete request when I contribute myself. When in doubt I leave it alone until I can make sure.

TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

Can someone post the exact file name of the built in map for Tribal to delete, sorry I just left my GPSR in my car just now. it's the xxxxrom.img and it should be in the .system folder I imagine.

Regarding charger, yes as Kuya Borgie said while your unit is plugged in the computer it will be charged. If you insist in charging with a wall charger, a charger with a USB output will do, cdrKing for example, or those adaptors that have USB ports to charge ipods and cellphones.

To answer your questions, though I agree with the others that you should re read the FAQ.....

Put a waypoint ontop of the closed or non existing anymore places and then enter as name of waypoint "Delete + why" example "Delete closed shop" or "Delete changed location already", etc. Collect as much Waypoints or edits are you can, save them all in just one file and then upload. You can open multiple instance of Mapsource so you can cut and paste them in just one file.

Please, please make sure that delete info is accurate, it is worse (I think it is a mortal sin) to delete a waypoint that someone contributed which actually still exists. That is why i always double check accuracy of such a delete request when I contribute myself. When in doubt I leave it alone until I can make sure.

TTFN
                Arvin
                i already tried opening all the folders on my unit but i cant see any file "xxxrom.img"

is there a way to download a pinoy version of voice guidance wherein they can pronounce the streets correctly?

im having a hard time understanding the voice guidance.

example:rizal avenue pronounced raizal evenue

some are more difficult to understand

Comment

Tribal,

Very sorry for not being clear, when I said xxxxrom.img I meant that xxxx stands for a word or letters that I have forgotten.

Okay I will try to post the actual name later, as No one seem to have wanted to help you (us) about it.

As for the Voice Guidance. Well no there is no Pinoy version of Voice guidance yet. I would not even try to change it to Spanish for correct pronunciation. I am not too sure if the Garmin Voice editor that was discussed somewhere in the forum will actually allow you to make a "Text To Speech" version. TTS is harder, you could make a voice guidance using your voice, your GF's voice or wife's or etc. etc. but they will not be able to pronounce streets.

One thing though, a lot of us find it very interesting/entertaining to listen how the voice guidance mispronounces the names. My kids (Pinays they are) would actually pronounce them the same way.

TTFN
                  Arvin

Comment

it's gmap*...

gmapprom
                    gmapsupp
                    gmapsup2
                    and so on.

afaik, garmin maps (*.img) can always be found directly under the garmin subdirectory.
                    Last edited by legtu; 12-23-2011, 22:45.
                    got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

I am using 1350 now, but should still be similar.

1. With your 1300 plugged in the computer, go to Mycomputer and click on the Garmin Nuvi drive.

2. When you are there, you should see a directory called Map, open it and see what kind of files are in there, if there are gmapprom files, you can consider deleting those.

If there is no Map directory or you can't find any file with gmapprom name, then try to see if you can find the .System folder. You have to activate "show hidden files and folder" in your windows explorer settings to display hidden files.
                      Take note of the "." (dot) in the first part.

In .system folder look for img files such as gmapprom.img or gmapbmap.img keep in mind that the US map will be a very big file, so try to find the biggest file size that is an img file.

TTFN
                      Arvin

Comment

Tribal,

Very sorry for not being clear, when I said xxxxrom.img I meant that xxxx stands for a word or letters that I have forgotten.

Okay I will try to post the actual name later, as No one seem to have wanted to help you (us) about it.

As for the Voice Guidance. Well no there is no Pinoy version of Voice guidance yet. I would not even try to change it to Spanish for correct pronunciation. I am not too sure if the Garmin Voice editor that was discussed somewhere in the forum will actually allow you to make a "Text To Speech" version. TTS is harder, you could make a voice guidance using your voice, your GF's voice or wife's or etc. etc. but they will not be able to pronounce streets.

One thing though, a lot of us find it very interesting/entertaining to listen how the voice guidance mispronounces the names. My kids (Pinays they are) would actually pronounce them the same way.

TTFN
                        Arvin
                        yes i get what you mean about the xxxrom.img

so there is no possibility to change the voice guidance except for the installed one

Comment

Originally posted by legtu View Post
                          it's gmap*...

gmapprom
                          gmapsupp
                          gmapsup2
                          and so on.

afaik, garmin maps (*.img) can always be found directly under the garmin subdirectory.

its gmapsupp.thanks..

Comment

I am using 1350 now, but should still be similar.

1. With your 1300 plugged in the computer, go to Mycomputer and click on the Garmin Nuvi drive.

2. When you are there, you should see a directory called Map, open it and see what kind of files are in there, if there are gmapprom files, you can consider deleting those.

If there is no Map directory or you can't find any file with gmapprom name, then try to see if you can find the .System folder. You have to activate "show hidden files and folder" in your windows explorer settings to display hidden files.
                            Take note of the "." (dot) in the first part.

In .system folder look for img files such as gmapprom.img or gmapbmap.img keep in mind that the US map will be a very big file, so try to find the biggest file size that is an img file.

TTFN
                            Arvin
                            i tried to delete the gmapsupp. but when i tried to open the unit.the phil. map was gone

Comment

i transferred a new map on my device since i cant view the streets when i tried it.

and the gmapsupp was actually my phil. map since when i send a copy of the phil. map again, gmapsupp appears again on map folder

Comment

Yes, that is why I never even mentioned gmapsupp.img, kuya legtu mentioned it only because we were asking for help with all those img names.

Look harder, it should be gmapprom.img or gmapbmap.img in the .system folder. Remember the .system folder is "hidden" you have to configure your windows file explorer to show all hidden files.

If I remember correctly the US map is almost 1gig so look for a file that is around 1,048,576 kilobytes well or just 100,000kb our maps do not go over 70,000kb each I think.

TTFN
                                Arvin

Comment

Working...
                                X